Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Need a platform game to play

Started by madhair60, February 05, 2010, 10:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Does anyone remember a platformer on the spectrum in which you played as a robot on a spaceship? The only distinguishing thing I remember is that you had a special move that made triangular blue platforms appear under you wherever you were, which allowed you to cross chasms and jump over tall obstacles and such. My brother had a demo tape of it from one of the speccy magazines and for some reason it's always stuck annoyingly in my memory.

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 06, 2010, 05:30:51 PM
There were quite a few terrible 3D sequels, weren't there?  Bubsy 3D, Earthworm Jim 3D, TJ & Earl 3D, any more?

Any that were good?
The 64th Super Mario game.

biggytitbo

Does Head over Heels count as a platform game? If so its the best platform game ever made.

Play it now! http://www.zxspectrum.net/ Its amazing!

Craig Torso

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 06, 2010, 05:33:35 PM
Rum ti toodle, pina colada, half a pound of muesli, what do you think of Shirley Williams? I want to go to the toilet...

http://mastersystem8.com/game/393/james_pond_ii_-_codename_robocod/
Cake, hammer, Earth, apple, tap.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 06, 2010, 05:30:51 PM
There were quite a few terrible 3D sequels, weren't there?  Bubsy 3D, Earthworm Jim 3D, TJ & Earl 3D, any more?

Sonic 3-D was where that series went off the rails.

I wouldn't say Earthworm Jim 3D was terrible, personally, but it was definitely nowhere near as much fun as the previous two (or the cartoon for that matter).

Nik Drou

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 06, 2010, 06:56:16 PM
Sonic 3-D was where that series went off the rails.

Ah, but Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were terrific, even if it features aspects of the series that I'm not keen on (setting it on Earth, Big the Cat).  I think it went off the rails when they started working for other platforms (Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders).

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 06, 2010, 05:43:40 PM
Does anyone remember a platformer on the spectrum in which you played as a robot on a spaceship? The only distinguishing thing I remember is that you had a special move that made triangular blue platforms appear under you wherever you were, which allowed you to cross chasms and jump over tall obstacles and such. My brother had a demo tape of it from one of the speccy magazines and for some reason it's always stuck annoyingly in my memory.

Starquake

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 06, 2010, 07:19:42 PM
Ah, but Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were terrific

Thankyou! I've never played the second one, but everybody slags off Sonic Adventure and I thought it was addictive brilliance on the whole, far better than any this gen Sonics to date.

madhair60

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 06, 2010, 09:18:45 PM
Thankyou! I've never played the second one, but everybody slags off Sonic Adventure and I thought it was addictive brilliance on the whole, far better than any this gen Sonics to date.

Sonic Adventure 1 is unfinished arsecrumble.  And it's still the best 3D Sonic.

Spiteface

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2010, 09:30:48 PM
Sonic Adventure 1 is unfinished arsecrumble.  And it's still the best 3D Sonic.

I disagree.  Sonic Adventure 2 was better, and the unfinished one is clearly Sonic '06 (long story short, Microsoft pressured them into getting the game out by a certain date, resulting in Sega putting out little more than a beta version).  If you have never played Sonic '06, don't.  It's for the best.  Just listen to the "Solaris Phase 2" music, it's the best bit of a shit game.

The daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed actually represent the best attempt at a 3D Sonic to date.  Even the werehog stuff is fun in a "God of War for Kids" kind of way.

Sonic 3D does not count on the grounds that it ain't 3D, not real 3D anyway.  And that collecting Flickies business detracts from the gameplay (there is, however, a fan hack where the Flickies are removed, leaving you to just get to the exit).

As I said elsewhere, I am very optimistic about Sonic 4 (formerly Project Needlemouse), and I actually have faith that Sega knows what they're doing now, after Unleashed turned out well.

madhair60

Sonic Adventure 2!?  The Sonic/Shadow levels are fun and memorable, but the other 80% or so is wank.  Argh, that FUCKING Mad Space level.  Jesus wept.

Lee

To whoever mentioned Oddworld... THANK YOU! I've just grabbed Abe's Odyssee off Playstation Store US and am currently reliving every frustrating moment of it all over again. As much as I like it though, WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT IN MORE FUCKING SAVE POINTS?!

(I'm told Abe's Exodus fixed this problem.)

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2010, 09:30:48 PM
Sonic Adventure 1 is unfinished arsecrumble.

This is true.

QuoteAnd it's still the best 3D Sonic.

Not true, I preferred Sonic Adventure 2 though the treasure-hunting levels could get bloody annoying. Especially the ones where the music featured Knuckles rapping.

Has anyone mentioned Mischief Makers, not so much as a platformer as an infuriating weird thing in the disguise of a platformer?

mcbpete

Quote from: Kolba on February 06, 2010, 02:15:26 AM
Another decent freeware platformer worth checking out is Within a Deep Forest. You play as a bouncy ball, and you can morph into different balls, each with their own pros and cons.
Good call on WADF, though I prefer the more 'ambient' gameplay of the latter games in the series:

Knytt

Knytt Stories

Saira

Some indie-ish Flash/PC games:

Star Guard: http://vacuumflowers.com/star_guard/star_guard.html

Meat Boy: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463241

Fathom: http://adamatomic.com/fathom/

Also, Go! Go! Beckham! Adventure of Soccer Island on the GBA is quite good fun.

Marty McFly

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2010, 11:23:09 AMMagic Pockets

This an Amiga title?  I'll look into it.

Rodland

Which version do you recommend?

I had both of them on the Amiga. Rodland was on a few platforms, but the Amiga one was one of the best conversions, I think.

Superfrog on Amiga was another good one, very much in the vein of Sonic, but then what wasn't?

Titus The Fox - used the same engine as the Blues Brothers, I think. Another great one.

One more for the SNES - Ahhh! Real Monsters!

Nik Drou

I'd not mentioned it earlier as I considered it more of a puzzle game, but Kula World on the PS1 is utterly fiendish.  Good music, too.

Spiteface

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on February 07, 2010, 01:57:40 PM
Not true, I preferred Sonic Adventure 2 though the treasure-hunting levels could get bloody annoying. Especially the ones where the music featured Knuckles

Hehe, that ain't Knuckles rapping, but I know EXACTLY what you mean.  The thing is, they changed how the emerald detection thingy worked in SA2.  In SA1, it beeped whenever you were near ANY Emerald shard, whereas in SA2, it almost forced you to find them in a specific order, although you would sometimes accidentally find one.  That said, if you think the tresure hunting/collecting stuff in SA1/SA2 was annoying, you DO NOT want to play some of the later levels of Shadow the Hedgehog.  I legit spent over an hour in one level trying to find the last robot I needed to kill to continue along the path I was trying to clear in that game (Shadow's storyline was such that the main game had 10 endings, of varing good/evil/neutral outcomes, ALL of which had to be unlocked before you even GOT the real ending, and the truth of Shadow's origin. 
Spoiler alert
He really should have stayed dead after SA2...
[close]
)

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 07, 2010, 04:55:22 PM
I'd not mentioned it earlier as I considered it more of a puzzle game, but Kula World on the PS1 is utterly fiendish.  Good music, too.

???!!!

Johnny Yesno

Turrican 3 for the Amiga was ace. I don't know what the first two were like as I never played them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y530mBlpv7k

I also really liked Pandemonium. It was a 2D platformer that moved through three dimensions, if that makes sense. Pandemonium 2 was even better and went really trippy towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCjkJZ5vtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wcL4OaI38

mcbpete

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 08, 2010, 04:29:18 AM
Turrican 3 for the Amiga was ace. I don't know what the first two were like as I never played them.
Turrican I and II are a thousand times better, approximately. Especially no.2 which is one of the best Amiga games of all time.

Marty McFly

I never even knew there was a Turrican 3!

Turrican 2 though, you're right... fuck me, I must have spent YEARS playing that one. I remember we had a 'cracked' copied version where you could change various things like infinite lives, unlimited energy, etc. Got so far through the game, but never completed it. I can remember the later levels being very Geiger-like. Strange open-mouthed creatures with hooks coming out of their mouths, etc. It was enough to terrify a young mind like mine for life!

mcbpete

I still remember the cheat for infinite lives - Help (to get to the sound test) 1,4,2, then press escape a couple of times to leave the sound test. I 'beat' that game countless times in first half of the '90s.

Monkeyman1138

I suggest Out of this World/Another World and it's sequel Heart of Alien (although the sequel is not as good, and bloody difficult to find). They are basically like Flashback, but with much less of a combat focus, and more on figuring out to evade danger. And good. And more atmospheric. (does anyone of any more games in this vein BTW?)

samadriel

I had Another World for the Megadrive, although I never liked it that much... (Flashback I liked, but it started with the best bit, I loved the jungle).  You can buy a higher-resolution version of Another World online now; googling "Eric Chahi" should find it for you.  There's a downloadable demo of the first bit, too.

How about Blob on the Amiga? The one where you absorb shit and take on their shape. I could never figure that one out.

Jemble Fred

Flood, on the Amiga, was always bloody addictive. Problem is, I've not played it since the early 90s, so have no idea if its "latch onto any surface"-style gameplay seems completely clichéd now, but at the time it was novel through and through.

Good one, I played it on emu a while ago. Still pretty solid, great art style, fun weapons.

MojoJojo

Heh, great ending too.

I mainly remember the grenades that turned everything below you into a fireball.

mcbpete

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 10, 2010, 09:09:32 AM
How about Blob on the Amiga? The one where you absorb shit and take on their shape. I could never figure that one out.
Are you thinking of Silly Putty, Blob looked like this and was more a 3d platform/puzzle thing -

This is Silly Putty/Putty: