Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How credible would a remake of FRENZY be?

Started by Saucer51, February 06, 2010, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saucer51

I'm not aware that a remake of the old Hitchcock film is in the pipeline. But Frenzy is one of my favourite movies and it flies in the face of my usual conviction that remakes are either bad or unnecessary.

But I would love a remake of this film. Still set in London, but with a modern take. The original relies upon certain plotlines that would no longer be credible, such as the relative ease with which Richard Blaney is convicted of a being a serial killer. 1971 forensics are slightly different to the technology available today so it would be interesting how this could be done without ruining the essence of the story.

Any ideas, or of good/bad potential remakes in general?

biggytitbo

I'd like a remake of Deathwish with Gordon Simcock.

I wouldn't want to see a remake of Frenzy though, what would be the point?

Saucer51

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 06, 2010, 10:37:12 AM
I'd like a remake of Deathwish with Gordon Simcock.

I'd like a remake of Rentaghost with Christopher Walken as Mr Claypole the jester. Perfect.

Jemble Fred

I get this with a lot of old films I adore – just as I was quite happy for there to be a Wicker Man remake, in theory, before I saw what they'd done to it.

The ultimate for me is always Theatre of Blood – one of my favourite movies, but I'd still love to see a modern take, with a bit less camping about. I can't help recasting the critics etc, picturing Rachel Stirling taking her Mum's role (just as she did in the National Theatre adaptation). Maybe in 10 years or so Branagh would make a great Lionheart (although they'd probably get Geoffrey Rush), and then it follows that my brain fills in the spaces with the rest of the Peter's Friends cast – Fry obviously being perfect for the Robert Morley role, before he lost all that weight.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I love Frenzy too, but they're bound to get Jude Law to play Bob Rusk.

I'd love to see a modern version of blaxploitation/werewolf/whodunnit "The Beast Must Die".  Complete with the Werewolf Break.

With a proper-looking werewolf this time, and not a dog in a woolly coat.

Danger Man

Quote from: Jemble Fred on February 06, 2010, 10:46:49 AM
The ultimate for me is always Theatre of Blood – one of my favourite movies, but I'd still love to see a modern take....

I'd imagine that if it were possible to remake an early 1970's movie of that type, then The League of Gentlemen would be first in the frame.

Hmmm.....a movie about the remake of Theatre of Blood where The League of Gentlemen learn that they are not the first choice and so decide to kill the actors who are standing in their way. Interesting...

The Widow of Brid

I always wanted to do a slightly dryer version of La Cage Aux Folles set in Hastings, with the Renato character being a former food and theatre critic turned restaurant owner and the Albin character being a formerly famous but now 'retired' drag queen rather than active one. Bringing Renato's slight discomfort with Albin's flamboyance more to the fore, and making the farce section of the film a bit more about Albin's frustrations bubbling up and him feeling equally judged by both sides (The Charrier's for being 'unnatural' and Renato for what he sees as conforming to a stereotype).

I'd put a generational thing too, with Laurent only having asked them to tone things down a little. But them having leapt to conclusions.

I wrote a script and everything.

I've wasted my life.