Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People Like Us Episode Guide

Started by Darrell, February 02, 2004, 06:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

Like a cockroach after a nuclear war...

PEOPLE LIKE US
THE UTTERLY UTTERLY UTTERLY SEMI-DEFINITIVE EPISODE LIST

RADIO SERIES (BBC Radio 4, later partially repeated by BBC7)

SERIES ONE

1 - 'The Farmer' (10th June 1995)
2 - 'The Headmaster'* (17th June 1995)
3 - 'The Journalist' (24th June 1995)
4 - 'The Vicar' (1st July 1995)
5 - 'The Doctor' (8th July 1995)
6 - 'The Solicitor'* (15th July 1995)

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
# - 'The Theatre Director' (23rd December 1995)

SERIES TWO
1 - 'The Managing Director' (8th June 1996)
2 - 'The Artist' (15th June 1996)
3 - 'The Ski Courier' (22nd June 1996)
4 - 'The Estate Agent'* (29th June 1996)
5 - 'The Policeman'* (6th July 1996)
6 - 'The Hotel Manager' (13th July 1996)

SERIES THREE
1 - The Mother (19th July 1997)
2 - The Bank Manager (26th July 1997)
3 - The Airline Pilot* (2nd August 1997)
4 - The Photographer* (9th August 1997)

NOTE 1: Two volumes of episodes have been released by the BBC Radio Collection on 2 cassette volumes. The first was a single cassette, 'People Like Us' (ISBN 0563389222), released on 4th March 1996 and containing 'The Headmaster' and 'The Solicitor'. A second double-cassette volume, 'People Like Us 2' (ISBN 0563558253), appeared on 4th October 1999 (presumably to cash in on the TV series) and contained 'The Estate Agent', 'The Policeman', 'The Airline Pilot' and 'The Photographer'. Music clearance problems meant certain tracks were overdubbed with rather inappropriate-sounding royalty-free tracks. This overdubbing was rather hit-and-miss though, as, for example in the gym sequence of 'The Policeman', where Take That's 'Relight My Fire' can still be heard underneath the (rather intrusive) overdubbed muzak. This technique presumably indicates that the rushes no longer exist.

NOTE 2: BBC7 have repeated all 17 shows, albeit rather irregularly. They originally ran the first two series as seperate runs, but series three only appeared after being tacked on to a continous re-repeat of series one and two, with the three series being slapped together as a 16-part run. It took until Christmas 2003 for the special to get its first repeat airing (though it was milked quite heavily over their Christmas schedule).

TELEVISION SERIES (BBC2, later repeated in full by Play UK)[/b]

PILOT
# - 'The Solicitor' (eventually transmitted as part of the first series)

SERIES ONE
1 - 'The Managing Director' (20th September 1999)
2 - 'The Estate Agent' (27th September 1999)
3 - 'The Police Officer' (4th October 1999)
4 - 'The Solicitor' (11th October 1999)
5 - 'The Photographer' (18th October 1999)
6 - 'The Head Teacher' (25th October 1999)

SERIES TWO
1 - 'The Vicar' (20th May 2001)
2 - 'The Mother' (27th May 2001)
3 - 'The Journalist' (3rd June 2001)
4 - 'The Actor' (10th June 2001)
5 - 'The Bank Manager' (17th June 2001)
6 - 'The Airline Pilot' (24th June 2001)

BBC LICENCE FEE ADVERTS (BBC1/BBC2)
Two adverts produced and broadcast shortly before the unnecessary axe was wielded by the even more unnecessary Jane Root.

NOTE 1: Series one was released on video (BBCV7288) and DVD (BBCDVD1159) by BBC Worldwide on 16th September 2002. Several DVD 'extras', including a commentary by producer Paul Schlesinger, were produced but mysteriously disappeared from the actual release. Series two is definitely scheduled, but has been pushed back several times (it has been classified at the BBFC however, so it will come out eventually).

NOTE 2: Only one show, 'The Actor', was specially written for the TV series, although a couple of shows adapted from radio scripts were given more 'politically correct' episode titles, so 'The Headmaster' became 'The Head Teacher', and 'The Policeman' became 'The Police Officer', which is a perfect example of insanity in action.

NOTE 3: Rumours abound that the writing of a third series, set in America, was actually completed by John Morton before Jane Root axed it because Ricky Gervais wasn't in it.

Darrell

Would anyone like to see this expanded to include cast lists, by the way? Or would the effort be wasted?

Darrell

NEWS: The series 2 DVD has been pulled until further notice.

Not good enough, I'm afraid. That's twice now.

thatmuch

Quote from: "Darrell"NEWS: The series 2 DVD has been pulled until further notice.

Not good enough, I'm afraid. That's twice now.

Pissed off. The Actor and The Airline Pilot were really superb.
Also I would like to be annoying by suggesting that the TV series were much superior to the radio versions. On the radio Mallard is much too arch and knowing, in Radio4 hack fashion, wheras on TV he's more understated in his narrative an the whole thing is more subtle.
I loved that 2nd series, damn it.

chand

I missed a couple of episodes from the second series so I was really looking forward to the DVD. Bugger.

weekender

As per Darrell's original post, it took until Christmas 2003 to get the Christmas Special - The Theatre Director - to be repeated on BBC7.  Some of you may remember that this was quite difficult to get hold of before then.  Well, Darrell has been kind enough to send me a copy of this so we can get it shared round for those of you who may be interested.

However, seeing as I'm going to all the trouble of fucking hosting it, I've decided to make sure you all know who went to the trouble of hosting it by putting a little signature of mine in during the programme.  A sample of what the programme now sounds like can be found here:

Sample (437kb)

I was going to password protect it with the phrase 'weekender is better than you', but I thought that was taking it too far.  By the way, only people who have sent me loads of stuff before are able to download these files, because that's just the way it is.  I'm also setting up my own forum, and if you post there then I will let you download the file as well.

Right, now I've got that load of vitriolic bollocks off my chest, here's the actual full-length programme.  Of course, it hasn't got any interruptions like the sample has in, and anyone is free to download it.  I was just thoroughly pissed off with a fucking self-righteous idiot who I've encountered again recently, but I'm going to leave it there.  Anyway, thanks to Darrell for the encode, and ricahrd for the webspace.

People Like Us - The Theatre Director (30.4MB)

Right click, save target as to download the files.

Enjoy.

TOCMFIC

Only seen a few parts of the TV show and loved it. I saw the Airline Pilot, and it was probably the funniest of the ones I saw.

Why can't the BBC just release the fuckers in MP3. I mean the fucking license fee paid for it! (I'm just pissed because importing stuff in Canada is so fucking hideously expensive. I've had DVD's cost me $100.)

weekender

Some other fucker must have downloaded this?

Wanders off gibbering about the shape of squares today, and why the fuck do people who think that the rulers which say that they're shatterproof still think it's amazing that they break in half.  It's because they don't fucking shatter!!!  They break in half!!!  The people in the shop downstairs are laughing at me because I shouted at my desk for being a cat which was in the way.

TOCMFIC

I have actually shattered a shatterproof ruler. In fact me and a mate at school used to consider the word "shatterproof" not as a statement, but a challenge.

tony peanuts

Are you sure you shattered it and didn't just snap it?  What was the splinter count like?  

Anyway, much thanks weekender, Darrell and ricahrd - your hard work is appreciated.  No idea when I'll get round to listening to it mind.  How the hell have I managed to fill a 120Gb harddrive with music and comedy stuff that I'll probably never have time to listen to...

Morrisfan82

It was a fundamental flaw with shatterproof rulers that kids, such as myself and my mate Chris who had one when we were at school, took the word 'shatterproof' at point-blank to be a synonym of 'indestructible'. Of course, three minutes and one freshly-bisected Helix later and the disappointing truth emerges in earnest.

I still insist it was their fault for using that dynamic 70's 'broken' typeface.

Neil