Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hot Chip

Started by Vitalstatistix, February 19, 2010, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

I've been sleeping on these guys for years.

I don't know why, but I thought they were a bit slight, a bit gimmicky, maybe it was all the 'geek chic' descriptions, and that wanky nu-rave stuff they were at one point lumped with...

Anyway they're actually bloody great. Smart, infectious, sentimental electro-soul and housey pop, and last night they put on a cracking live show.

Gonna plunder their back catalogue now, new one's meant to be their most 'romantic', whilst older records have their crowd-pleasing dance numbers and more strangeness. Any fans?

sample choon:

Hot Chip - Boy From School

madhair60

Still haven't heard their new album (hate the title), but I'm a fan.  Saw 'em a couple of years back and it was a great night.

buttgammon

I loved 'The Warning'; a great pop album with so many terrific singles off it but the weakness of 'Made in the Dark', which had about two good songs and lots of total crap on it put me off for a while. Thankfully, the new album is great. It probably is a bit more 'romantic' than their earlier stuff but it's still got great dance tracks like 'We Have Love' on it, while 'One Life Stand' melts all of their various angles and styles together and works very well indeed.

In the last two years or so, I've probably got more pleasure out of Hot Chip's 'DJ Kicks' mix than any of their albums. It's terrific fun and I would heartily recommend that just to give an insight into their extraordinary eclecticism (not many artists would be able to throw This Heat, Ray Charles and Matthew Dear together in the same mix. Even fewer would make it work).

CaledonianGonzo

Ready for the Floor aside, I didn't really think much of their last album either, but the few listens I've had to the new one suggest it may be a real return to form.  Thieves In The Night and Slush sound like early stand-outs.

asv

Saw them last night in Newcastle as well, brilliant gig and smart setlist (even with "Over & Over" being played in the middle and straight after "One Life Stand").

New album is great, nice and compact (Made In The Dark was a tad flabby but still on the button), the title track and "Take It In" standing out and, call me slushy, "Brothers" can bring a tear to the eye as the father of two boys.

"No Fit State" is still killer live, and the addition of a live drummer has made them an even better live band.

Vitalstatistix

Yess. Loving the steel drum as well.

Second Burner

Totally agree with the comments about "Made In The Dark" being a tad disappointing but One Pure Thought is fucking great.

I'm not a big fan of their housier tracks, really, but 'Keep Fallin/Take Care/Beach Party' off their first record still get plenty of plays. The former is my favourite, great lyric about Sisyphus as the vocal melody bumps up and down like a Haribo bassline.