Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NME Awards Tour

Started by Ghost of Troubled Joe, February 06, 2004, 11:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Went to this last night. Cracking good gig, anyone else catching or caught this?

I was quite disappointed by Franz Ferdinand. Being hyped up so much, they seemed to me to be quite weak live performers.

The Von Bondies were excellent- great songs played very well. The lead singer gave his all, even when people were shouting out White Stripes songs.

The Rapture were the best band of the night, absolutely amazing stage presence and note perfect performances. Their music was just wasted in a gig environment, their stuff is just so damn funky all the little goths waiting for Funeral for a Friend just didn't get it. If you get a chance to see these guys, do it- they are probably the best live band I've seen in terms of audience interaction.

Funeral For A Friend were shite.

I went to the Portsmouth one Friday night and I would have to agree with most of what you've said except for Franz Ferdinand, maybe they had an off night when you saw them, but they were damn good on Friday. I must admit I was a touch worried about them because I hadn't heard much of their stuff, but after seeing them I may actually have to get their album.
As for The Von Bondies I've never seen them have a bad gig, everytime i've seen them they've always put everything into the show, and the lead singer is always great. When it comes to The Rapture they never disappoint, they're a great band every night they play as far as I can make out.

Funeral For A Friend can fuck right off, I'm sick of these gothy shit bands that pamper to pre-teen angst ridden audiences.

fanny splendid

What's this, a Smash Hits tour for big boys?

TraceyQ

Pretty much spot on there, Fanny.

What was the age ratio like? 2:1 under 17's I'll expect. Buying cider and sharing a fag while putting on their eyeliner, I'll expect. Ah, happy days.

imitationleather

I went last night. It was hilarious, all through the gig there were all these teenagers with tights on their arms sitting on the steps outside (y'no, the sorts who hang around outside the Astoria when the homeless lot have gone to a soup kitchen) then when The Rapture finished, just about half the crowd cleared out and all these teenagers came in.

Funeral for a Friend played to a literally half-empty venue, while it was packed for the other three. Yeah, they were a good choice for the headline act...

Who the fuck are Funeral for a Friend anyway?

splattermac

I flogged my ticket to a mates mate and they went to the Manchester one, they also said 2/3rds of the place fucked off when Funeral for a Friend came on at the end, he said swathes of teenie goths all rushed the front.

He also said the Rapture played for about 34 minutes, that's good if you don't like them but shit if you do.

Well as long as you had fun

imitationleather

34 minutes? The Rapture played the whole album at the London one, but The Von Bondies were on for less than half an hour.

I'm not too sure about The Von Bondies. They had a few good songs (Lack of Communication for instance) but mostly everything sounded very similar, possibly because I couldn't hear the vocals and after a while thrashing guitars with incoherent shouting gets a bit samey.

Purple Tentacle

I went on Friday night to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Cooper Temple whatsits and some band that sounded like The Stone Roses.

I enjoyed it.

Yes, I don't belong in here!

imitationleather

I wonder what percentage of the audiences to these shows actually buy the NME...

european son

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I went on Friday night to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Cooper Temple whatsits and some band that sounded like The Stone Roses.

i've seen BRMC a couple of times, and bloody love them. the guitarist's just broken his thumb though and they've cancelled the rest of their tour.

i hope they've learnt their lesson and won't be skipping Manchester again.

mr rou-rou