Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ApocalyPS3 (Read if you have a PS3!) [split topic]

Started by chand, March 01, 2010, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Anyone else's PS3 fucking up? It seems that pretty much everyone with an older fat PS3 (such as me)developed problems last night, it's giving out an 8001050f error. It's fucked up the trophies and it means than any game with trophy support will fail to load, even offline. It's also reset the date to 31/12/1999 and had some knock-on effects like corrupting dynamic themes.

People are theorising that it's to do with the date going from 28/2 to 1/3 in a kind of Y2K fashion, PS3 forums are in meltdown over it because loads of people's consoles are essentially bricked until this gets sorted.

jutl

Quote from: chand on March 01, 2010, 08:37:38 AM
Anyone else's PS3 fucking up? It seems that pretty much everyone with an older fat PS3 (such as me)developed problems last night, it's giving out an 8001050f error.

Yup - got the error here on a 1G PS3.

Lee Van Cleef

Anyone else's PS3 fucking up? It seems that pretty much everyone with an older fat PS3 (such as me)developed problems last night, it's giving out an 8001050f error. It's fucked up the trophies and it means than any game with trophy support will fail to load, even offline. It's also reset the date to 31/12/1999 and had some knock-on effects like corrupting dynamic themes.

People are theorising that it's to do with the date going from 28/2 to 1/3 in a kind of Y2K fashion, PS3 forums are in meltdown over it because loads of people's consoles are essentially bricked until this gets sorted.

I saw this on another forum:

QuoteFor those of us who have a PS3 and received this error, it seems from what I've read that it's a glitch in the internal calender on the "fatties". Slim PS3s aren't affected.

Do not turn on your PS3 until this situation is resolved, is what Sony is basically saying right now. "Heavy Rain", the new game, seems to be hit pretty hard by this error. Trophies earned from HR are being deleted. Sony is currently working on a solution.

I tried playing Dragon Age: Origins earlier tonight and it says that "unable to connect to trophy settings" and kicks me out of the game. My PS3 was not attached to the internet at all when this happened. Hasn't been since November when I got DA:O because lightening fried my wireless router a while back and I'm just to lazy to get another one. It seems that all games that have trophies are affected.

Mods, if it's ok, let's leave this one up for a few days since there are a few gamers who use the PS3 on this forum. Thanks.

falafel

Crap. I didn't use my PS3 yesterday but I accidentally turned it on while I was giving it a once-over with the duster. That was probably enough for it to go and have a look at the calendar etc. Not that fussed about trophies really but wouldn't really want to lose them.

Can't you just go to the Date & Time settings and switch it back? What happens when you do that?

chand

Quote from: falafel on March 01, 2010, 11:03:33 AMCan't you just go to the Date & Time settings and switch it back? What happens when you do that?

I tried that and it did nothing, so it's probably gonna need a patch.

It's panic stations everywhere now, it's been dubbed "ApocalyPS3".

VegaLA

Engadget are covering the PSN problem so if there is a fix they will be one of the first to let you know..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/28/playstation-network-down-so-are-lots-of-ps3s/

Big Jack McBastard

Anyone else's PS3 fucking up? (and story)

Oooh, the Xbawx fanboy communities are going to have a fucking field day with that, there'll be 8001050f jpegs being shot off like cannons across the interwebs in retaliation for all the RROD ones that have been shoved in our their faces.

On the Jutl's 720p note, once again I noticed very little difference between the two modes, in fact I'll be buggered if I can see any really. Oh another 'interesting quirk' my HDMI threw up was it had a benny when I tried to play DVDs regardless of the mode it was in. Pissed me off so much in such a short time that I stuck the composite cable back in at least it didn't give me gyp.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: VegaLA on March 01, 2010, 04:13:32 PM
Engadget are covering the PSN problem so if there is a fix they will be one of the first to let you know..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/28/playstation-network-down-so-are-lots-of-ps3s/

Sony haven't said anything about it for over 12 hours now. Can't play FIFA 10 Ultimate Team :(

DocDaneeka

God the current consoles have been a load of old shite reliability wise. I'm sure the previous generation of consoles didn't break down all the fucking time.

kittens

I left my PS3 on with a game still running and it seems fine. I don't know if I should turn it off, or what. I'll give it a bit of a play and see if anything happens.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: kittens on March 01, 2010, 04:38:45 PM
I left my PS3 on with a game still running and it seems fine. I don't know if I should turn it off, or what. I'll give it a bit of a play and see if anything happens.

Seems like you'll get the error if you try to reconnect.

Still Not George

Quote from: DocDaneeka on March 01, 2010, 04:35:07 PM
God the current consoles have been a load of old shite reliability wise. I'm sure the previous generation of consoles didn't break down all the fucking time.
The Xbox was known for a couple of issues, and the PS2 had the famous lens alignment issue which cropped up after a couple of years' use. Nothing on the scale of RROD or the firmware brickinating that's dogged everyone this generation though; probably cos sending out reflashes via the Internet is an incredibly dodgy idea.

mobias

Quote from: DocDaneeka on March 01, 2010, 04:35:07 PM

As far as I know this is the first major issue with the PS3 and even then it does sound like a firmware issue that is likely easily fixed with a software update.

I've yet to have the dreaded yellow light of death with my PS3 (touches lot of wood) but even that I think is a lot rarer than some people would have you believe. I know the 360 has had a lot of hardware issues,  some people think MS really rushed the console out ahead of proper testing just so they could get it out well ahead of the PS3 a few years back. 

Slaaaaabs

QuoteWe hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

Well I guess "don't turn it on at all" is better than "turn it off then on again"?

Still Not George

Quote from: mobias on March 01, 2010, 04:58:00 PM
As far as I know this is the first major issue with the PS3 and even then it does sound like a firmware issue that is likely easily fixed with a software update.
There was a limited-effect firmware bricking the year before last IIRC. And the 360s had at least one of these too. People forget them pretty quickly, since they get fixed in short order.

jutl

Quote from: mobias on March 01, 2010, 04:58:00 PM

As SNG says, there have been a few. The first one I can remember was the 1.50 firmware update which caused widespread problems and system failures. Fixing this via firmware update may be complicated by the fact that the problem itself prevents connecting to PSN. You can download the update separately and apply it from a memory stick, but that's going to be too much for a lot of owners.

kittens

What should I do? My PS3's still on and running a game, is it safer to just leave it on or turn it off? SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: kittens on March 01, 2010, 07:01:36 PM
What should I do? My PS3's still on and running a game, is it safer to just leave it on or turn it off? SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

If you turn it off don't turn it back on until the patch is out. The problem is when you go to launch a game and you get an error. Then you notice that the trophy collection for this game has vanished. You can still browse the internet but connection to the PSN is not happening.

chocky909

I switched my Fatty PS3 on just before reading this thread to play my new BluRay. It's playing now. Will I be alright so long as I don't launch a game?

chocky909

Too late, I noticed when turning the console off that my time and date is showing as 1/1 00:59. Hopefully I haven't lost any data a I didn't play any games.

Hopefully this will all become fine again after midnight.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: chocky909 on March 01, 2010, 08:33:21 PM
Hopefully this will all become fine again after midnight.

The thing is, it turned midnight in the eastern hemisphere hours ago and I haven't heard any confirmation that Japanese and Australian machines are now ok. So surely the theory that all will be fine again when once the calender turns to 02/03/10 can't hold much water? Maybe machines that haven't been switched on today will be ok on 02/03/10 because the calender would not have been reset to 1999 or whatever? I'm not risking it until there is official confirmation though.

Consignia

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on March 01, 2010, 10:12:11 PM
The thing is, it turned midnight in the eastern hemisphere hours ago and I haven't heard any confirmation that Japanese and Australian machines are now ok. So surely the theory that all will be fine again when once the calender turns to 02/03/10 can't hold much water? Maybe machines that haven't been switched on today will be ok on 02/03/10 because the calender would not have reset? I'm not risking it until there is official confirmation though.

Allegedly, the internal clock is based on UTC. I don't put much faith in it fixing just by itself, but it is still to be seen.

HappyTree

What is it about this date that is problematic? What is so hard about going from 28/2 to 1/3 ?

Borboski

My MLB09 The Show won't load - the screen just stays black.  Do you think that might be related?

Lee

Quote from: HappyTree on March 01, 2010, 10:32:53 PM
What is it about this date that is problematic? What is so hard about going from 28/2 to 1/3 ?

Because, if I've understood this correctly, the PS3 thinks it's the 29th of February, and that 2010 is a leap year. There's no other word for it - this is absolutely sloppy on Sony's part. And the fact it's not happening on the slim PS3s suggests they knew this was a potential issue.

biggytitbo

School boy error. Ive got the new one but im still scared of switching it on in case it blows up.

chumfatty

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2010, 10:53:28 PM
School boy error. Ive got the new one but im still scared of switching it on in case it blows up.

I bought a new slim one yesterday, it's still working fine.

presta didwicks

My slim is fine but there's a distinct lack of online players for Uncharted 2.

Lee

Talk on the *shudder* blogosphere is that it's working again. If correct, that either means Sony fixed the problem remotely, or... they waited for midnight. Which literally would have meant working around the clock, if by "working" you mean "waiting".

See you in 2014, yeah?

(Apparently to restore broken trophies, simply load up the game(s) in question and you should be sorted.)

Doctor Stamen

Ah, I wish i'd seen this before I went to play FIFA earlier today.  What a fiasco!