Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ApocalyPS3 (Read if you have a PS3!) [split topic]

Started by chand, March 01, 2010, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

My clock is correct now. I'm not playing any games though until it's confirmed all clear. I don't want to mess my game data up.

Santa's Boyfriend

My slim seems fine, but then it's only a week old.  The last one suddenly decided it didn't want to play discs anymore.  Right in the middle of a film, too.

I hope this kind of thing isn't likely to keep happening.  Sony said they don't do an extended warranty because of "abuse".  What the hell does that mean?  The warranty is only for a year, and I'm getting the feeling that it isn't a massively reliable piece of kit.

Lee

Ah, you'll also need to reset your date. Don't know what method others are using, but to be on the safe side, I set it manually to 28/2, then set it "via internet", and it came up with 2/3 (yes, that's what I meant Chocky). Not tried any games yet, but people seem to be managing to get onto MAG, Modern Warfare 2 and Heavy Rain without a problem. Well, I say "without a problem", apparently the servers are overloaded with gamers suffering withdrawl. Bless their cotton socks their mums bought for them.

It's also loaded all my Heavy Rain (last game I played) trophies without a hitch.

Should probably point out that I haven't used the console at alll in the past 24 hours, so if you have then there may be other issues I'm unaware of. Check the last few pages of this official blog for a variety of user responses.

chocky909

I assume you mean 2/3. I didn't need to adjust my date/clock. It just corrected itself.

chand

Mine's back working now, the dynamic themes no longer showing as corrupted. Took fucking ages to sync the trophies again but it all seems okay again, my save games seem present and correct. Seems like Sony's plan of hiding in the toilets for a day and hoping the whole thing goes away has worked!

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: thehungerartist on March 02, 2010, 12:48:30 AM

Thje NeoGaf thread where that originated, I presume (i have no urge to trawl back though the pages since i buggered off to the pub) was kinda entertaining

Yeah, some great photoshopping in that thread.

What's up with the current gen? Rushing consoles out like some space race has already come back to bite Microsoft on the arse and Sony don't look too clever after this.

When I last fired it up in the summer, my Megadrive - purchased in 1994 - still worked perfectly, and my first Game Boy saw off several pets (I'd launch it at them in fits of Wario-induced pique).

It's episodes like this which make me wish PC gaming wasn't so expensive.

Depressed Beyond Tables

So the date was 3/2/10 in America?

COUNTDOWN!

Was the time 6:54 anywhere in the world?

chand

Quote from: thehungerartist on March 02, 2010, 01:24:25 AMWhat's up with the current gen? Rushing consoles out like some space race has already come back to bite Microsoft on the arse and Sony don't look too clever after this.

The interesting thing is, since it didn't affect the slim, it raises the question of whether someone realised this fault had come up when they started making the slim and kept quiet about it. Maybe they just use a different battery and they started from scratch on it, I dunno.

Been Google Newsing it and there are loads of stories giving Sony credit for fixing it, such as Sony fixes PS3 error 8001050F, which to be fair to Sony isn't something they've claimed themselves:

Quote"Having the internal clock date change from 29 February to 1 March (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally."

Ambient Sheep

The revelation that it thought 2010 was a leap year leads me to suspect that it's the same thing as caused a whole load of German bank cards to think they'd expired at the start of this year.  Some twonk decided to interpret the bottom byte of the year as hexadecimal, rather than BCD as is commonly used to hold times & dates in clock chips, thus it thought it was 2016 which IS a leap year.

Hah!  Just read the rest of that Wikipedia article out of curiosity, and guess what?  The PS3 bug is mentioned further down, here.  Oh well.

Santa's Boyfriend

My favourite comment on the error so far:

QuoteMy son's £2.00 watch is still working yet a £300 games console doesn't?

Japs eh? First Toyota now Sony...