Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:45:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Anyone else looking forward to Red Dead Redemption, then?

From Rockstar, and it's being billed as "GTA in the old wild west"

Red Dead Redemption » "The Wild West" Trailer [HD]

IGN Rewind Theater: Red Dead Redemption Debut

Father O`Blivion

Quote from: Shameless on March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM
Anyone else looking forward to Red Dead Redemption, then?
Quote from: Shameless on March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM
it's being billed as "GTA in the old wild west"
If it actually is GTA Wild West then I am now.

Actually with this out next month and Mafia II finally out this month it's probably about time for my current 'just out of warranty' 360 to pack in.

Custard

It does appear to be VERY GTA. Which is nice!

Here's another video what makes me dribble

Red Dead Redemption: Gameplay Preview

Father O`Blivion

"Hundreds of unique characters with their own personalties" says the voice over man which makes me think of the bollocks Bethesda were spouting before Oblivion came out. Still, you can play as a good guy or a wank and there's at least one comedy Mexican in it so barring awful reviews I can see this parting me with some of my money come the end of April.

_Hypnotoad_

This looks amazing, can't wait for it. Had forgotten all about Mafia II, so long has it been. Mafia remains one of my absolute favourite PC games ever.

Didn't Rockstar do a Western game previously? Red Dead Revolver rings a bell, I think there were a couple of Western themed games at the time.

Wonder if we'll be able to spawn a jetpack and a Hummer?

chand

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on March 03, 2010, 07:58:33 AMDidn't Rockstar do a Western game previously? Red Dead Revolver rings a bell, I think there were a couple of Western themed games at the time.

Yeah, it was called Red Dead Revolver and this is the sequel. The following year Gun came out, which was a similar kind of open-world Western, and also Total Overdose, which was sort of the same but more cartoony and deliberately over-the-top. Last year's Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood also had an open world element to it.

buntyman

Was the last one any good or are people getting excited unduly? Is it made by any of the same people responsible for GTA? What happened to that Rockstar detective film noir type game that got mentioned on here a while ago? That sounded good and I don't see any sign of it on the Rockstar website now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The last one was pretty cack. This one looks a lot better though.

MojoJojo

Quote from: buntyman on March 03, 2010, 09:33:22 AM
Was the last one any good or are people getting excited unduly? Is it made by any of the same people responsible for GTA? What happened to that Rockstar detective film noir type game that got mentioned on here a while ago? That sounded good and I don't see any sign of it on the Rockstar website now.

It's being made by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_San_Diego . It's Rockstar North who make the GTA games, although apparently San Diego develop the Rage Engine that the GTA games use.

spanky

Quote from: buntyman on March 03, 2010, 09:33:22 AMWhat happened to that Rockstar detective film noir type game that got mentioned on here a while ago? That sounded good and I don't see any sign of it on the Rockstar website now.

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/splash.html

It's now on Xbox as well as PS3, should be out in September, and there have been a few magazine previews trumpeting the detail they've gone into to recreate LA, and the detective aspect of the game (more methodical than guns blazing).

Jemble Fred

This does indeed look awesome, but on a similar tac – but without any genre peers, unlike RDR – I'm very miffed that this seems to have pretty much dropped off the radar:

http://ridetohell.deepsilver.com/

I can understand the instinctive excitement of 'GTA in [circumstance]' but this seems like one of the odder possible choices, given the open terrain. It'll be much more difficult to create something as alive as Liberty City in that bare, natural environment. Some of the shooting bits look better than GTA, though they also seem to have near-auto-aim - which renders them pointless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The actual mechanics and controls of the shooting are still easily the worst parts of GTA so it's a real issue. 3rd person shooters are virtually passé now so I don't know why they can't sort it out properly.

falafel

I'm not convinced that the environment will be "lifeless" - I'm sure there will be plenty of buffalo, crazy Mexicans and lunatic Indian scalping parties... Plus I suspect a small frontier town will be a lot easier to authentically recreate than an enormous metropolis. The absence of crowds will be less conspicuous, for one thing.

kittens

I like how easy the shooting is in GTA. It makes it more fun cos it's not hard.

mobias

LA Noir is being made by Team Bondi and not Rockstar, it's not going to feature Rockstar's RAGE engine or anything like that. Rockstar are just acting as publishers.

Red Dead Redemption does look amazing though, really looking forward to it.

I'm even more looking forward to Rockstar North's new game called Agent. Very little is know about it but I've a funny feeling its going to be pretty damm good.   

Custard

This is the sequal (of sorts) to Red Dead Revolver, but they're pretty much promoting it as a seperate entity. For one it's an open-world roaming game rather than a straight shooter, and secondly, it has a completely different/new storyline and characters. So if you didn't enjoy the first game, I wouldn't worry, as it's basically not in the same ballpark. To the point where you gotta wonder why they didn't give it a completely different title!

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: falafel on March 03, 2010, 01:28:47 PM
I'm not convinced that the environment will be "lifeless" - I'm sure there will be plenty of buffalo, crazy Mexicans and lunatic Indian scalping parties... Plus I suspect a small frontier town will be a lot easier to authentically recreate than an enormous metropolis. The absence of crowds will be less conspicuous, for one thing.

I think it might mirror Fallout 3 in terms of it's atmosphere. Plus the absence of automobiles will give a different dynamic to GTA. I hope they get the physics right for the horse riding. I don't think I've played a game yet that has horse riding in it that isn't a little clunky and awkward.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't know if you've been on a horse but they are a little clunky and awkward. I've always found virtual horses too manouverable to be realistic if anything. Mind you, I haven't played Barbie Horse Adventures.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 03, 2010, 03:13:12 PM
Mind you, I haven't played Barbie Horse Adventures.
Jill Kelly's finest hour if you ask me.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 03, 2010, 03:13:12 PM
I don't know if you've been on a horse but they are a little clunky and awkward. I've always found virtual horses too manouverable to be realistic if anything.[/i].

What I meant was that I hoped they make the horse riding fun instead of a frustrating chore. In the way that driving on GTA wasn't as realistic as some games but it was sometimes more fun because you could drive the cars like they do in action movies.

mobias

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on March 03, 2010, 02:55:16 PM
I hope they get the physics right for the horse riding. I don't think I've played a game yet that has horse riding in it that isn't a little clunky and awkward.

They're using the Euphoria engine (like GTAIV did) for all the body motion physics. Since Euphoria was actually created originally to accurately simulate animal muscle movement for zoological study I would think the horse motion animation will be all but totally accurate.

Euphoria is utterly amazing, you can find out about it here http://naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

Custard

The release has been pushed back to the end of May.

Bloody 'ell.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Shameless on March 05, 2010, 02:18:07 PM
The release has been pushed back to the end of May.

Bloody 'ell.

Yeah, they must of read what I said about the horse-riding and are now taking a long hard look at the core gaming mechanics.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just found this:

http://www.destructoid.com/possible-red-dead-redemption-woes-aren-t-sounding-good-160314.phtml

ERRRRKKKK

QuoteThese past few days, Rockstar has been talked about quite frequently, with much of the discussion surrounding the studio falling into what can only be described as the "brutally negative" threshold. By all accounts, the troubling news isn't about to stop rushing out anytime soon.

As revealed to Joystiq by undisclosed sources, the fate of Red Dead Redemption is sounding, at best, highly questionable. One source said the game "was a complete disaster for most of 2009 and previous ... it has since turned around a little bit, but there are huge problems with it still."

Another spoke of even more issues: "Red Dead has been in production for six years (mainly because of horrible management/lack of direction due to fear of disrespecting Rockstar NY) and it will never get the money back in sales it cost to create for those six years."

Finally, a third source -- specifically noted as being someone from Rockstar -- gave yet another grave testimony. "It will take 5 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead. The good news is they are not expecting to make money with Red Dead Redemption."

"At this point, that project is just supposed to prove that the San Diego studio can make a great quality AAA title," the source concludes. Just when I thought I couldn't be more hyped for the game, something totally unexpected like this happens. I truly hope the team is able to work through these alleged hardships and put out a great product. So much potential.

http://www.destructoid.com/rockstar-s-red-dead-redemption-gets-hit-with-delay-165728.phtml

QuoteOriginally set for an April 27 release date, Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption has been hit with a minor delay.

Publisher Take-Two Interactive announced the delay in First Quarter fiscal 2010 financial results report; the title is now set to ship in North America on May 21, 2010.

The short delay comes after the recent rumors of internal developmental issues, with one source saying the title "was a complete disaster for most of 2009 and previous... it has since turned around a little bit, but there are huge problems with it still."

Last I saw it, the game looked pretty damned solid, and that was in the summer of 2009. Let's hope the slight delay will allow Rockstar to put on that extra coat of polish, because Red Dead Redemption is one of my most eagerly anticipated titles for 2010.

Slaaaaabs

I suppose they at least have the framework for a quick sequel if it does do well.

VegaLA

Doh!! and that vid shameless posted won me over too.
Still, lets see how this pans out in the next two months.

biggytitbo

When are Rock Star going to do the open world sandbox Nazi holocaust game everyone's crying out for?

Nazi Ninja Steampunk Zombie Pirates probably already exists.

I'd still play it, though.

VegaLA

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 07, 2010, 11:38:45 AM
Nazi Ninja Steampunk Zombie Pirates probably already exists.

I'd still play it, though.

That's Nazi Ninja Steampunk Zombie Pirates IN SPACE.