Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

New promo video. I must say it does look fucking amazing http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/2010/03/17/3861/watch_part_three_of_the_red_dead_redemption_video_series_life_in_the_west

With the two episodes for GTAIV coming our for my PS3 plus this a month later Rockstar are going to be getting a lot of my gaming time and money for the next little while. 

Slaaaaabs

A very dense and alive looking world to inhabit.

Frame rate is atrocious though, do hope they fix that up before release.

mobias

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on March 17, 2010, 07:16:59 PM

Frame rate is atrocious though

It does look like its all happening in slightly slow motion. I always find with these sand box games something has to be the chink in the games armour. It just doesn't seem possible (yet) to have everything working brilliantly. 

ThickAndCreamy

That looks astonishingly good, especially if the frame rate is fixed. Wonderfully in-depth and with so much to do but most of all... it just seems fun. Riding around on vast plains surrounded by Buffalo armed with a shotgun and some alcohol sounds perfect. Have to agree about the stuttering though, I hope they get it fixed. It completely ruined the experience of GTA IV for me on PC, impossible to play mostly due to the huge frame rate issues.

I can't wait to get a PS3 when it's about £100 in 2 or 3 years, I'm going have a lot of fun games to play.

mobias

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on March 17, 2010, 07:33:51 PM

I can't wait to get a PS3 when it's about £100 in 2 or 3 years, I'm going have a lot of fun games to play.

Just go out and buy a PS3 now. I really don't get the logic of people who wait ages for something to drop in price. I've got a close friend (who earns a hell of a lot more money than I do) who always waits until the end of a consoles life cycle before he gets one. You just end up missing out on a lot of fun. I bought my PS3 on launch day for £470, which is a good £200 more than they are today, but I never regretted it for a second. The way I look at it is that I've easily got £200 worth of fun out of in the time it took to come down in price.

Also its saved me shit loads of money in that time too. All the nights out in the pub I could have had getting pissed and chatting up girls have been spent indoors on my own playing games. Less hang overs, less heart ache, more money in the bank, much higher rank in Warhawk. God bless Sony.     

ThickAndCreamy

Paying for stuff which I don't need like a PS3 means I have less money to spend on holidays and not being stuck at home, depressed and empty. I'd rather save my money.

£470 could be a two week holiday, and I'd prefer having some sort of life experience rather than sitting on this fucking chair spending hours staring at a screen. I can, and already do achieve this enough with my PC and it costs a lot less to do so.

Still, if I had a lot more money and little else to spend it on then I'd get a PS3, it's just that there's very little benefit for me to get one at the moment money wise. Splashing out on needless shit like games and consoles stops me going out and going on holiday, I'm willing to do it only when the price is low enough for it to not affect my life disproportionately.

I'd rather be on a dull and decrepit mountain than staring at a screen of the most beautifully pixelated mountain imaginable. I don't want to sacrifice experience with endless possessions that are ultimately devoid of what I truly want in my life.

falafel

I'm just not sure you've thought this through enough.

GAMES

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Being interested in computer game art, I'd rather stare at the screen of the beautiful mountain of pixels, safe in the knowledge that I've already visited all the mountains in the financially viable vicinity. Indeed, I had a very good idea for a sandbox game along those lines. Still, I don't have to buy a PS3 in order to do that.

So thinking it through, I'm with Thick And Creamy. Holiday!

Lt Plonker

Oh good lord, duelling looks like fun! I'm gonna have to buy a big cowboy hat to wear whilst I'm playing this. :D

Lt Plonker

It seems to be getting some good write ups so far:

QuoteIGN's Greg Miller may have already been a fan, but his first hands-on time confirmed what he suspected:

"It was glorious," he writes.

It was the amount of teeming life packed into the world that is the focus of his write-up:

"I started back toward the mission, but stopped to shoot and then skin a rattlesnake (you can sell your skins and pelts so that you can afford upgrades), save a woman being dragged through the dirt by some evil cowboys, and tame a horse (after lassoing the animal, you have to walk up to it and stay on its bucking back by balancing Marston on top of it with the left stick). Just when I thought I had sowed my wild oats and was ready to settle down on the task at hand, a man came tearing over a cactus-covered hill hollering that I needed to help him – two mountain lions were chasing and attacking him. I Dead Eyed both of the beasts and got an Honor boost as well as a shot to my Fame Level. The Fame Level tacks how well known you are in the area; as it gets higher, more people start showing up to challenge you to duels and such."

Fingers crossed, chaps.

VegaLA

Stack me this is sounding nothing short of great eh? The title never apealed to me when I first heard of it, wasn't until this thread came to light that it interested me!
May is a weird month to release a top title like this, the last of the season is usually April but if all had gone to plan....

hoverdonkey

Yeah, I'll be all over this. It may even drag me away from NHL 10

mobias

This game just looks better and better...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64249

We'll need to form a Cookedandbombd posse when the game is out.

Slaaaaabs

Two big things...

There will be a half hour animated prequel airing on US TV, directed by John Hillcoat (The Road, The Proposition)
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/04/21/fox-adds-glee-encore-red-dead-redemption-special/8631/

They have also revealed the second of the three areas that the game will take place in, the Northern Mexico "Nuevo Paradiso" area which looks like this (attached to the already seen "New Austin")

Slaaaaabs

Lt Plonker

Hoo - loved how the character actually swoops down to pick up the bag of gold. Nice touch.

niat

I have pre-ordered this for its release next week, and this Guardian preview makes it sound really good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/apr/30/games-gameculture

Really looking forward to this game, anyone want to be in my posse?

Jemble Fred

I'd been holding off on passing comment, but this is the best Xbox 360 game I have ever seen. Even if you're not the one with the controller in your hands, it's utterly gripping viewing, like a perfect Western film. I've probably seen about 8 hours of gameplay, but am annoyed at the bits I missed, so will get round to buying it one day.

Jack Shaftoe

This is the wussiest game enquiry ever, but does anyone know if you have to do the animal hunting stuff to advance in the game? I'm aware how stupid this is, but for some reason, although I found hanging around bridges in GTA4 sniping old ladies a perfectly acceptable way to pass time, for some reason the idea of hunting imaginary buffalo actually quite upsets me.

/completely mental.

Jemble Fred

I think I'm right in saying that you will be shown how to do it as part of the game, which means that yes, you'll have to do it once. After that, it becomes optional, but you'll possibly miss out on plenty of upgrades and stuff, and find it harder to get much cash together, should you need some to progress.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on May 11, 2010, 01:45:51 PM
This is the wussiest game enquiry ever, but does anyone know if you have to do the animal hunting stuff to advance in the game? I'm aware how stupid this is, but for some reason, although I found hanging around bridges in GTA4 sniping old ladies a perfectly acceptable way to pass time, for some reason the idea of hunting imaginary buffalo actually quite upsets me.

/completely mental.

I don't believe so. Hunting and skinning animals just seem to be a way to earn money though I would imagine there are achievements/trophies attached to it. From the trailers it appears coyotes and other aggressive species will attack you though, but kill-or-be-killed is a different prospect for you I would imagine.

You can also pick flowers, herbs and leaves to sell to doctors/chemists. You big poof.

Jack Shaftoe

Ah, a gentle frontier herbalist, sounds about right.

*dies immediately*

I like the whole hunting/skinning thing in WOW, but it's so much more stylised. Kind of wishing this was a more open RPG-type thing, where you could build your own character, although I appreciate that's not what they're going for.

I also have to remember with all these sorts of games, that brilliant though they are, I'm essentially shit at them, and rarely get more than an eight of the way in over a six month period.

(oops, cheers JF as well, sorry, missed your reply earlier).

niat

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 11, 2010, 01:42:02 PM
I'd been holding off on passing comment, but this is the best Xbox 360 game I have ever seen. Even if you're not the one with the controller in your hands, it's utterly gripping viewing, like a perfect Western film. I've probably seen about 8 hours of gameplay, but am annoyed at the bits I missed, so will get round to buying it one day.

Consider my appetite whetted.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on May 11, 2010, 02:03:22 PM
Kind of wishing this was a more open RPG-type thing, where you could build your own character, although I appreciate that's not what they're going for.

For what it's worth, this has the best game hero I've seen on the console, he's one of the main strengths. Like The Man With No Name with twice the charisma. Beats yer average start-arse twat of a gaming hero.

Quote from: niat on May 11, 2010, 02:05:07 PM
Consider my appetite whetted.

I may be swayed by the fact that it's not another sci-fi shooter, gangster sandbox game or war FPS. It is beautifully realised, but above all else, it's got class which most games lack. But I'm not a typical 360 gamer, so most Halo-heads could feel differently.

Running round shooting people, dressed as a cowboy, in the Wild West, on a horse? It sounds absolutely shit.

Last night I had a dream that my 360 was fixed. Woke up weeping.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 11, 2010, 02:05:59 PM
For what it's worth, this has the best game hero I've seen on the console, he's one of the main strengths. Like The Man With No Name with twice the charisma. Beats yer average start-arse twat of a gaming hero.

Ah, interesting, cheers! If they do a follow-up though, I deffo want there to be a female character option - ideally a whore with a heart of gold type. Who can also shoot the arse off a fly from half a mile away, obviously.

VegaLA

Quote from: niat on May 11, 2010, 01:40:33 PM

Really looking forward to this game, anyone want to be in my posse?

Count me in! Your'll find me in the whorehouse Saloon.

mobias

My appetite has been utterly wetted for this game for a while now. Everything about it looks incredible.

Once everyone has got it here we should get some multi player action in. Am I right in thinking most people here seem to be 360 owners? I've got a PS3 so we're likely to be a divided crowd.