Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:02:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

lol it looks like Vic Reeves drew that, so bad is it.

Little Hoover

Finished the game, thought this was a very good blog post on the games narrative, wait until you've finished the game before reading it obviously.

http://www.gamermelodico.com/2010/06/flawed-ballad-of-john-marston.html

mobias

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 10, 2010, 02:43:46 AM
Finished the game, thought this was a very good blog post on the games narrative, wait until you've finished the game before reading it obviously.

http://www.gamermelodico.com/2010/06/flawed-ballad-of-john-marston.html

Great read cheers for the link. Agree with pretty much all of it. Rockstar sure know how to build worlds and design great game play features but they sure don't know how to write good dialogue and tell a simple story. To be fair it must be so difficult with so many different people working on a game like RDR or GTA to maintain a sense of focus and not loose sight of the story you're actually trying to tell over 20 odd hours of game play. But I do think Rockstar need to simplify things and not have cut scenes that go on far too long featuring characters that are all essentially the same. It'll be interesting to see if they take on board any of the criticisms found around the web when doing the next GTA. 

kittens

I just completed it. Definitely the best game I've ever played.

El Unicornio, mang

As much as I love GTA I'm hoping they have something a bit different lined up (after LA Noire, which looks like it's going to be ace). Something that really stretches the medium, like David Lynch does for films, with all kinds of weird stuff going on. Also, having access to all or most of the interiors in a game would be ace, even if it's just something like walking in on a family eating dinner in front of the TV.

mobias

Worth noting that LA Noir isn't actually being done by a Rockstar studio, its only being published by them. Still looks interesting though. My hopes are really high for Agent which Rockstar North are doing at the moment for the PS3. It'll be their first non GTA game since Manhunt came out. Not much is known about it but its got a truly great studio behind it.   

mobias

Other than getting people to repeat your name endlessly to you like in some weird wild west version of Being John Malkovitch what else do you get from getting your fame and honour up really high? I'm finding it incredibly annoying being famous in this game. Maybe I need to go on a killing spree. 

Hanslow

The story is weak, the gamplay is to easy, not particularly atmospheric. 6/10. Good to waste a few hours on but nothing special.

Then again I'm not a big GTA fan. The only GTA that was outstanding was Vice City. Even then the storyline was good but not original.

EDIT; I should add I've yet to complete the game, but got pretty far in, so it might get better, just not sure I can be bothered finding out.

chand

mook

sorry for the bump...

quick question, does it make much difference using HDMI cable for the xbox 360, over using that 3 coloured jack lead thing plugged into a scart connector doodad?

mobias

Quote from: mook on July 24, 2010, 02:32:43 PM
sorry for the bump...

quick question, does it make much difference using HDMI cable for the xbox 360, over using that 3 coloured jack lead thing plugged into a scart connector doodad?

YES! It makes a huge difference. You'll get a full on high definition digital signal with HDMI and your TV picture will look superb, especially with the 360 version of the game. The three coloured analogue lead is for old crappy analogue TV's only. You'll get a fuzzy low resolution image putting that lead through a high def TV.

glitch

Just got this yesterday, are any of you still playing multiplayer? It'd be nice to play with more than just randoms.

mobias

Quote from: glitch on August 02, 2010, 11:52:12 AM
Just got this yesterday, are any of you still playing multiplayer? It'd be nice to play with more than just randoms.

Don't know what console you're on but I'm mobe7 on the PS3 if you want a game.

glitch

Puffin Chunks

torz77 on PSN if anyone is interested in a posse at any time. I live in australia though, so may not be in sync with most.

Just 100%'d the single player game, but still don't feel I have everything out of it... I am currently trying to decide whether this is my favourite game ever or not.

Quote from: mobias on August 02, 2010, 01:01:14 PM
Don't know what console you're on but I'm mobe7 on the PS3 if you want a game.

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on August 03, 2010, 03:39:47 AM
torz77 on PSN if anyone is interested in a posse at any time. I live in australia though, so may not be in sync with most.

Just 100%'d the single player game, but still don't feel I have everything out of it... I am currently trying to decide whether this is my favourite game ever or not.

Added.  I'm mostly on Hardcore Free Roam and Advanced Coop - teaming up with random players is ok but it's far better to get a gang of four together and work through the missions and hideouts.

mobias

Quote from: thehungerartist on August 03, 2010, 01:33:00 PM
Added.  I'm mostly on Hardcore Free Roam and Advanced Coop - teaming up with random players is ok but it's far better to get a gang of four together and work through the missions and hideouts.

Are you in the UK? I'll join you later tonight if you're about.

Mister Six

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 11, 2010, 09:51:04 PM(after LA Noire, which looks like it's going to be ace)

Mate connected to Rockstar says that the initial developers fucked it up badly (glitches, on-foot chases where the other guy runs exactly as fast as you, so you can't catch up etc), so it was given to one of the RS houses (I think Rockstar Leeds) a year or two back to whip it into actual playability. I wouldn't get too excited, to be perfectly honest. They might be able to make it functional, but it sounded like an uphill struggle.

Neil

Been right back into this again, prompted by the zombie DLC.  Had never got round to finishing the single player campaign, but wow, loved it, and will talk more about that in a bit.

Was glad that nothing was spoiled by Undead Nightmare.  I've really got back into general multiplayer too, there's a ton of game modes I never even used.  This week I did the poker, and also Liars Dice, which finally justified the Liars and Cheats DLC I bought on a whim.  Got quite frustrated to get so into the gambling, then find I'd spaffed my daily money allowance, with no way of regenerating it except by waiting for 24 hours. 

The co-op modes are good too, I love doing missions.  Tonight, we did The Kidnap, where you have to rescue the hostage while bandits chase you.  We jump in our stagecoach, ready to make the escape, but then one of our guys shots two of the four horses, saying "That'll make it more interesting", before jumping on his horse, and taking off.  It did, too.

I've just ventured in to the world of playing RDR on line, and while I enjoy the co-op missions and clearing out of the dens and the such, can someone please tell me how I can stop dying within about five seconds on a shootout?

It's odd, as the very first time I played the grab the gold game, I was incredible and won easily against four other people.

Now, even if there's just three of us - I get shot within a millisecond. I also seem to be able to shoot people about 17 times and then don't fall, whereas they blast me once and I go down.

GAGGAGH!

Am I just shit? Do I get better with practise? Are there some secret tips I'm missing out on?

Neomod

my only tip for shootouts (and it seems to work most of the time) is to fire at the person directly to your right, not the person the game targets for you.

80% success rate.

Quote from: Neomod on November 18, 2010, 11:07:06 AM
my only tip for shootouts (and it seems to work most of the time) is to fire at the person directly to your right, not the person the game targets for you.

80% success rate.

Yeah - sorry - not the shootouts - which I'm surprisingly good at by simply ignoring what the computer tells me and turning 180 in the other direction - but the free-for-all shootouts where you've got ten minutes to get as many kills as you can or grab the gold bags etc - standard multiplayer fare.

Can someone please explain why the fuck I'm not getting this at all?

I seem to die on average about 30 times per game (whatever they're called where you run around and it's a free for all) and kill about one person.

I can shoot someone 10 or 15 times an it appears to do nothing - then suddenly, I'm down in one shot from someone I've not even seen.

Do I have some sort of arrow pointing to me? As I can't seem to pick any other player out, yet it's almost as I've I'm neon to them.

I've tried casual and normal targeting and neither seems to make a difference. It's the single most frustrating gaming experience of my life.

Am I really missing something simple? I'm good at games. Is there some technique to playing these types of shooters I'm just not aware of. Do they all have better weapons than I? Are they playing with some stupid cheating mod I'm not using? Is it just hardcore gamers hanging shooting newbies?

Can someone please explain either what I'm doing wrong or what the appeal is as I can't see either for the minute - and it's certainly put me off getting Black Ops as it would almost certainly be the same experience.

Big Jack McBastard

Starting out it does make you a bit of a pansy with shitty weapons and someone 10 levels above you will ruin you in short order.... errmm, you are using Dead Eye when you can, yeah?

Mustow Green

Quote from: Benjie Trufflesnort on November 20, 2010, 03:33:51 PM
Can someone please explain why the fuck I'm not getting this at all?

Many things.  Despite my own XP/level currently being 45 I am pretty crap at deathmatches and the like, mainly due to the simple reason that I haven't completed the weapons challenges, (I've done almost everything else but).  When you have maxed the weapon challenges your guns are replaced with golden versions.  These golden version seem highly powerful and, in matches with auto-aim on, 1 hit will kill you!  You can though start to progress even with basic weapons, you just have to figure how to aim a well delivered shot. 
With auto-aim on, lock onto an enemy then, fractionally, aim higher.  You got a headshot.  Depending on the distance and the weapon used this may take one, or two shots for a kill.

A good place to target practice I've found is Rathskellar Fork, (top of map/NNW).  Hop up onto the roof, using cover, shoot a dog to get wanted and practice on the law.  You may also want to try in gang matches where only 50% of players are trying to kill you.  You'll have time to find a good position, find a foe, lock on then aim for the head.

Another quick tip.  If you die, don't press X, (let the game respawn you), also don't sprint (this willmake you show up on the map to others).  Always try to stay crounched and (maybe most importantly), learn how to roll, (this will get you out of death situation many times).  Also, learn quickly how to roll and switch weapons to a shotgun for a quick reply.

Hope any of this helps?

Quote from: Mustow Green on November 27, 2010, 12:19:11 PM
Stuff

Lots of great tips there and I'd figured it may well just be lack of practice and levelling up and I was just having a paddy. I shall be going back as soon as I break my addiction to Blur, where I'm equally getting thrashed on a regular basis - not had a first place yet despite being on level 26 - but everyone else playing has "Legended up..." with amazing cars (I keep getting calls of "Fuxake you cunt, legend up mate, legend up..." when they've all finished 40 seconds before me.)

Having said that - I'm now finishing regularly in the top six out of 20 as opposed to in the last three or four, so it hopefully won't be too far off....

An tSaoi

Didn't want to bump the other RDR thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking here. During the final section of the Appointed Time mission, after I shoot Williamson the game sort of freezes. There's still sound, and I can see horses moving, but Marston and the Mexican fella are stuck. I stopped the game, did the whole mission again, but it still happened.

Any solutions?

kittens

That happened to me. I reset it and did the mission again and it worked that time. I think the best thing to do is just keep trying.

Mister Six

So I think my copy of RDR is bugged or something. At the start I was playing as John Marston, a grizzled warrior with a heart of tarnished gold. Now I'm playing as some other character who seems completely unconcerned by the face that his Mexican BFFs are running rape camps and murdering families. HOWEVER the game seems to load in the same character models and voice files as John Marston. Crazy. What will happen towards the end of the game, when these two completely different characters undoubtedly meet?