Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

It'll be interesting to see where they go next with it. I can only imagine what a PS4/Xbone version might be like. Despite its flaws RDR was was quite an impressive start for a new franchise ( Red Dead Revolver was a totally different game really) With the groundwork of the tech already done I hope a new game arrives sooner rather than later.

Lord Mandrake

I hadn't played a game in years when I played this and I am still staggered by it's beauty and my total immersion in that world. The kind of game you would dream about being possible back when you were playing street fighter twenty odd years ago. Sometimes I'd just mosy about transfixed by the scenery and the horses arse, the different textures underhoof, butterflies, rabbits darting about randomly. Fucking terror of first bear attacks, kicking chickens and pigs. The lasso is when it gets good and entering mexico the first time. Once I finished the story though it was dead to me.

Nobody Soup

I loved RDR, it's still better than any of the GTA games for me and I agree with the poster that said that the whole is greater than the sum of it's part. The plot sort of bugged me a bit too, the third sequence felt especially silly so I hope they might tone down rockstats trademark silliness and play it a little straighter.

they will have to design the missions well, as while driving from point A to point B is almost ok in a driving game where if you're bored you can start pulling handbrake turns and driving down the wrong side of the road but there's not a lot you can do on a horse in the open plains. A massive desert sounds great in terms of immersion, which is where RDR really beats GTA, but the idea of riding on horse back from Los Santos to mount chiliad will get arse old within minutes.

however, I am seriously excited about the prospect of playing as a posse. the character switching in GTAV was amazing, and could further be implemented here brilliantly.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on March 10, 2014, 12:19:42 AM
Once I finished the story though it was dead to me.

Yeah I feel the same and find it hard to know why. Like others have said one of the great things is to enjoy the scenery and immerse yourself in the atmosphere but with the story complete it feels empty. A lot of the trophies and lists still to complete involve a lot of riding around picking flowers and killing animals which gives you a purpose to get back on your horse again but you know nothing is going to happen. With GTAV I can drive around for hours but with this I don't have the same enthusiasm despite it being an arguably more picturesque and better laid out world.

HappyTree

Well for me it's mainly that it's more fun to drive around aimlessly than to trot around on a horse aimlessly. Maybe doesn't help that I don't particularly like Westerns or horses :-D But the game was fun. I should go back and finish it, really. In fact, I will do that thing today.

Norton Canes

I think the Rockstar people may have tacitly acknowledged that the game becomes something of a dead rubber once you round off Jack's brief epilogue. I shot a horse thief and returned the animal to its owner, and after being thanked, Jack said "I've got nothing else to live for".

HappyTree

I take it all back. Galloping around on a horse is great. But I was disappointed there's no achievement for busting everyone else out in poker. I won all their Chuparosa chips, give me some sugar! I think there's one for winning 2000 chips in one hand, I guess I'll have to aim for that.

After attempting this about twenty times since I got it a couple of years ago, I decided to just plough through the missions and get to Mexico. I was expecting a beautifully grand vista to open up in front of me. Unfortunately, I arrived at night, could barely see anything and slid straight off the cliff and died. I still don't really get this game. Almost every mission is the same cover shooter stuff. There are some amazing abandoned locations but most of the map is pretty interchangeable. The characters are shite, just cartoon crap with heavy handed satire. The follow some clown who's waffling on bits are the worst. Dying in water is ridiculous. Killing animals is pointless and unjustified. Even Far Cry 3, a thoroughly frivolous title, gave some weight and purpose to chopping up a dingo and stuff. Maybe Undead Nightmare will be better because the daft tone won't be as jarring.

HappyTree

It's really a game I think that lives and dies by its narrative and immersion. If you're more into games for challenges and actually doing stuff I can see how it would seem a bit pointless. I never skip the long journeys and very rarely fast travel. It's just a pleasure to ride along and be in a different world for a while. It got so that when I saw tufts of purple flowers in the distance real life my mind would think "Ooh, must pick that" and then I'd check myself.

Mind you, I've been playing GTA of late and now when I go into a car park I catch myself idly choosing which car I would nick off with if I could ;)

The thing I like about RDR over GTA is that John Marsden is a more moral person than any of the 3 protagonists in GTA. Apart from the killin' an' that. But he's more respectful and is painted as a loveable rogue, whereas the GTA reprobates are kinda hard to totally get behind.

small_world

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 20, 2014, 10:11:15 PMA fake character Killing fake animals is pointless and unjustified.

FYP.  But actually, no it isn't.  In the Wild West, animals got killed.  In this game, you either kill them because they attack you or because you can sell their fur or whatever (actually the primary way of making money in the game).  Or you can just kill them for fun because it's a game.  Killing civilians in the game serves far less of a purpose.

Never understand these criticisms.  Every movie where a fictional animal dies will have someone on the IMDb boards moaning about it.  "Was that really necessary?"  Yeah, as necessary as Henchman #2 dying a thousand deaths.  What's wrong with you?

I'm not against killing animals in a game, it's just there's fuck all use to it. I've played the game for about fifteen hours and have never bought or sold anything. If attacked, yeah, I'd kill a wolf or whatever. That's not my point, pretty clearly. The game is full of shit to do, none of which has any link to the narrative proper and none of which is fun in the slightest. Every mission involves a five minute monologue while you simply get there and is only ever a minor variation on 'kill everyone'. The Dead Eye stuff is basically a game breaker so I don't use it, nor the countless items which refill that meter. Oh yeah, you die if your horse does a big jump sometimes.

It's similar to Bioshock Infinite. Amazing atmosphere but skin deep, where the gameplay clashes with the world.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 21, 2014, 07:59:13 AM
I'm not against killing animals in a game, it's just there's fuck all use to it. I've played the game for about fifteen hours and have never bought or sold anything. If attacked, yeah, I'd kill a wolf or whatever. That's not my point, pretty clearly. The game is full of shit to do, none of which has any link to the narrative proper and none of which is fun in the slightest. Every mission involves a five minute monologue while you simply get there and is only ever a minor variation on 'kill everyone'. The Dead Eye stuff is basically a game breaker so I don't use it, nor the countless items which refill that meter. Oh yeah, you die if your horse does a big jump sometimes.

It's similar to Bioshock Infinite. Amazing atmosphere but skin deep, where the gameplay clashes with the world.

It's an open-world game, not everything has to link to the narrative.  Hunting is good fun, much moreso than when they tediously tried to incorporate it into 'Assassin's Creed III', and earns you a lot of money and other rewards.  If there's no point in that, then aren't all games more or less pointless?

I'll agree with you that drowning instantly in water is stupid, but it's a bloody good game for a first installment.

NumberOneAll-TimeSuperfan

It feels like they thought "this wild west game should have hunting in it" and then just put an animation of the character skinning them when you press a button on their corpse. That's not enough.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 21, 2014, 08:22:48 AM
It's an open-world game, not everything has to link to the narrative.

A perfectly fair point. I think my problems are with the repetition of the narrative sections and the fact that the open world stuff feels very limited and without reward. It feels like a beautiful hollow world to me.

mook

it's a long time since i've played it, but i seem to remember hunting being very important at the start of the game as a way of making easy cash. i certainly remember more than enough visits with that cunt herbert moon when i had to flog stuff anyway.

speaking of herbert moon, here he is in full puffpastry mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSEwy8ZORc

lasso the fucker and tie him to the train tracks.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: NumberOneAll-TimeSuperfan on August 21, 2014, 08:27:49 AM
It feels like they thought "this wild west game should have hunting in it" and then just put an animation of the character skinning them when you press a button on their corpse. That's not enough.

You bait them with various things to attract different types of animals.  Some won't come near you, some can only be found in certain areas, and apparently The Chupacabra is out there to find as well.  And as I said, you collect valuable items from some of them, which in turn can be traded for all kinds of goodies (weapons, potions, maps etc.)  I don't know what more they should have done for such a small part of the game, really.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 21, 2014, 08:31:10 AM
A perfectly fair point. I think my problems are with the repetition of the narrative sections and the fact that the open world stuff feels very limited and without reward. It feels like a beautiful hollow world to me.

I take your point, but I don't think there were many other open world games around at the time which felt quite as full.  GTA V came along three years later.  I was happy enough in Red Dead Redemption just riding around pretending to be a cowboy, doing cowboyey things.  Maybe it's because I loved Westerns as a kid and it allowed me to live out some of those movie fantasies somewhat less vicariously.  I assume this is partly why most people prefer GTA - almost everyone can relate to modern action/crime movies whereas I don't even remember the last serious Western that came out.

For what it's worth, though, I think the narrative's fine given what they have to work with.  Of course GTA V has more options due to its setting, but it's ultimately still a cover-shooter with fairly repetitive missions.  Both kept me interested though (GTA IV did not).

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 21, 2014, 10:00:02 AM
You bait them with various things to attract different types of animals.  Some won't come near you, some can only be found in certain areas, and apparently The Chupacabra is out there to find as well.

Chupacabra? Is that in the zombie DLC, or in the regular game?

Like you, I grew up watching Western movies, so I was perfectly happy galloping across the range, shooting down criminals in random events and playing the odd game of cards. Maybe shooting buzzards if I was bored. Haven't played it since Farcry 3 or GTA V, so perhaps it'll seem bland and empty by comparison, but I don't doubt the magic will still be there.

Shame so much of the game was so dreadfully written (I do like everything up to the snake oil salesman though).

chand

I'm replaying it now and enjoying it, I loved it on the first playthrough though. It is in many ways just a cover shooter in an extravagant setting, but it's a fucking great setting. I agree that it's riddled with shit characters though. The snake oil salesman is boring as shit, but even worse are the Rockstar trademark subtle-as-a-brick weird/comedy characters like Seth and fucking Irish. Those guys start to grate really quickly.

NumberOneAll-TimeSuperfan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 21, 2014, 10:00:02 AM
You bait them with various things to attract different types of animals.
I guess I missed/forgot about all of that then, my mistake.

mobias

There's rumours of RDR finally coming out on PC which will also coincide with a remastered PS4/Xbone version. Don't know if its true or not but whats definitely true is that a sequel is currently being made. There was a leak that its going to be called Red Dead Revolution and will be much more epic and take place during the American civil war. Again I don't know if thats true but it sounds pretty likely. I guess we'll probably have to wait until next year to find out. 

wasp_f15ting

I hope your rumours are true.

This is a handful of games I still think about when I see a sunrise or hear acoustic music in the background. Gorgeous and stunning.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on August 21, 2014, 12:47:40 PM
Chupacabra? Is that in the zombie DLC, or in the regular game?

I never found it myself, but apparently it's in the zombie one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laoDutE2cs0

Which reminds me, that DLC also had the four horses of the apocalypse and a unicorn to catch.

bitesize

Quote from: mobias on August 21, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
There's rumours of RDR finally coming out on PC which will also coincide with a remastered PS4/Xbone version.

Oh my god.

Quote from: mobias on August 21, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
Don't know if its true or not but whats definitely true is that a sequel is currently being made. There was a leak that its going to be called Red Dead Revolution and will be much more epic and take place during the American civil war.

OH MY GOD!

I really really loved RDR. Obviously there was always gonna be a sequel planned cos it did so well but it's nice to at least have some rumoury going round about it... Can't wait to hear more.

mobias

Quote from: bitesize on August 22, 2014, 10:41:56 AM
Oh my god.

OH MY GOD!

I really really loved RDR. Obviously there was always gonna be a sequel planned cos it did so well but it's nice to at least have some rumoury going round about it... Can't wait to hear more.

Production of it is fairly well advanced I think so unless there's any delays a release near the end of next year is possible. We may even get our first teaser once the next gen GTA is out. A lot of pretty major problem solving regarding AI had to be gotten round with RDR so since they've mastered that I think they can really concentrate on making the rest of the game huge. What I like with the Red Dead series is they can fine tune the experience in a way that they can't seem to with GTA. RDR online is still far superior to GTA online. The possibilities offered by the new generation of consoles for a RD game are immense.