Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

I stand by my belief that it's the best game I've seen on the console, but there are still a rash of other decent Westerns to choose from – it's just that this has now become the ultimate. What I'm really hoping is that Rockstar will now start to use the technology and methods to try something genuinely unusual in the sandbox genre. LA Noire looks pretty good, but the world it's creating isn't far from the Mafia and Godfather games. Ride To Hell looked interesting, but has gone off the radar. There are so many worlds which deserve the RDR/GTA treatment.

Slaaaaabs

There hasn't been a really good futuristic sci-fi sandbox game yet. I know there is a Syndicate game in development at Starbreeze but I don't expect that to be open world. Shadowrun would have also been a good candidate.

VegaLA

True. Crackdown is the closest we have in that arena.
Don't be hating, but i'd love to see Star Wars given the Rockstar treatment.

mobias

Has anyone here played All Points Bulletin on the PC? There was a lot of talk of it during its production, how it was going to be a massively multiplayer version of GTA, but since it came out I've not heard much about it. It sounded like quite an interesting idea for a game. Just wondered whether it had taken off and was any good.

I'm a console gamer so kind of miss out on all these PC only games. 

falafel

Slaaaaabs

APB is in "closed" beta at the moment, although they are spunking out beta keys all over the place.

The customisation is phenomenal, essentially the Forza decal painting done not only on vehicles but on clothing and (highly customisable) bodies as well. The music maker is like a mini version of Fruity Loopz and adds that extra touch to killing/being killed. Unfortunately right now it seems to be suffering from a distinct lack of content, nothing very inventive in terms of structure and the balancing of weapons and the matchmaking system is a little off right now.

The pricing structure they announced has put me off as well, $10 for unlimited play in a month or you can pay for 20 hours of "action" time. The customisation area is free to use, but you have to pay in RTW points to put things on the marketplace. It is potentially saved by the fact that you can in turn use your earned in-game money to purchase game time (a bit like EVE) but that really depends on how the in-game economy works out.

mobias

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 12, 2010, 12:16:33 AM
APB is in "closed" beta at the moment, although they are spunking out beta keys all over the place.

Ahh! For some reason I thought it had actually already publicly come out. I know its being made by Real Time Worlds and they share a lot of talent, in terms of personnel, with Rockstar North. There were rumours at one point that APB was actually going to be marketed under the GTA banner but Real Time Worlds denied this was ever an option.

Jemble Fred

Still Not George

VegaLA

Anyone know of the exact UK release date for RDR? Hearing different stories and i'm thinking about booking time off.
Here it's May 26TH, which is a Wednesday, a little unusual day but thats what's stated in print.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: VegaLA on May 12, 2010, 10:18:11 PM
Anyone know of the exact UK release date for RDR? Hearing different stories and i'm thinking about booking time off.
Here it's May 26TH, which is a Wednesday, a little unusual day but thats what's stated in print.

18th for the US and 21st for Europe

chand

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 12, 2010, 10:23:42 PM
18th for the US and 21st for Europe

21st is the same day as new Prince Of Persia and Modnation Racers, my wallet is gonna hurt.

VegaLA

That's a pleasant surprise, I honestly had the date embedded on my mind for 26TH.
Still, a solid week after release allows me to get to grips with it before taking it online. Anyone else booking time off?

mobias

mook

I really don't want to start a slagfest off here, but what console would be the best to play this game on?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: mook on May 13, 2010, 03:44:16 PM
I really don't want to start a slagfest off here, but what console would be the best to play this game on?

I don't think anyone has been able to compare yet. No mention of any glaring issues though as far as I know. If the previous games using the RAGE engine are anything to go by then the 360 version will be 720p with that weird dithering and the PS3 will be a slightly lower resolution without it and both will drop frames in different places.

mobias

One thing I've read is that because you're not driving or flying through this environment at any great rate of knots, in fact you're not driving or flying through it at all, there is obviously no 'pop up' as with GTA. The draw distance in the game is apparently breathtaking with everything being crystal clear. The graphics are a much noted step up from GTAIV especially in the cut scenes.

Final launch trailer http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/

edit. It seems to be getting some pretty incredible reviews. Either 9/10's or straight 10/10's from what I've read so far. The only criticisms seem to stem around some of the missions being a bit repetitive.

You do see some moronic comments around gaming forums sometimes. The amount of comments I've read from people on forums saying they're holding off buying it because they didn't like GTAIV is just insane. Does this game actually look anything like GTAIV?!!!!

Space ghost

The voice actor who plays John Marston ( main character ) sounds very much like the same person who voiced Johnny Klebitz, the protagonist from the lost and the damned...

Still Not George

Quote from: mook on May 13, 2010, 03:44:16 PM
Your mum.

Space ghost

I must admit I am leaning towards buying this for your mum.

buntyman

It certainly looks like there's a lot of variety in things to do in this game but I'm not sure if any of the things look particularly fun. If it is like GTA in the sense that you have a variety of contacts that you go to who ask you to kill someone and you go back and forward doing that, I think that would be quite boring. Reading about it did make me fancy the idea of a wild west game though so I ordered Red Steel 2 for the Wii instead for hopefully a more fast paced carry on. I'll probably get this one when its about 15 quid but I don't think if I got it now, I'd play it ahead on Mario Galaxy 2 and I only really have time for 1 new game at a time.

mobias

A fair few people in the US seem to have got it early and are posting game play footage online as fast as Rockstar are taking it down. If you want a sneek peek have a look here whilst its still up http://www.zshare.net/video/760624838621bb5b/

It does look utterly jaw dropping. The horse animations are incredibly realistic.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: buntyman on May 14, 2010, 01:21:57 AM
It certainly looks like there's a lot of variety in things to do in this game but I'm not sure if any of the things look particularly fun. If it is like GTA in the sense that you have a variety of contacts that you go to who ask you to kill someone and you go back and forward doing that, I think that would be quite boring. Reading about it did make me fancy the idea of a wild west game though so I ordered Red Steel 2 for the Wii instead for hopefully a more fast paced carry on. I'll probably get this one when its about 15 quid but I don't think if I got it now, I'd play it ahead on Mario Galaxy 2 and I only really have time for 1 new game at a time.

I can understand those who live for action getting very rapidly tired of RDR's pace – you will need to play for a few hours before anything really begins to kick off, and yes, there is a lot of exploring and it won't be above 50mph or whatever. But having said that, the difference between Red Steel 2 and RDR must equate to more than a whole generation jump of quality in every respect, they're barely comparable in my opinion. The sheer mastery of RDR's story, acting, and visuals should by rights cancel out any worries about the relatively slow start. But everyone has different priorities with any form of entertainment I guess, and if sedate gorgeousness comes secondary to quick-fire thrills, you're right to give RDR a miss for now.

But Red Steel 2 doesn't have amusing nickelodeon cartoons about beating up women who want the vote, and kicking babies.

mobias

I can't quite decide which the more disturbing in this leaked gameplay clip -  the game or the people playing it. It is quite funny though and major points to Rockstar for yet again not letting freedom of gameplay get in the way of courting controversy.

Warning possible gameplay spoilers
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=468_1274045745

VegaLA

Late tomorrow I may be posting full on shit eating grin photo.

Or not, depending on how I feel at the time!

mobias

Quote from: VegaLA on May 17, 2010, 04:11:07 PM
Late tomorrow I may be posting full on shit eating grin photo.

Or not, depending on how I feel at the time!

Are you getting it early? I thought it didn't come out till Friday.

VegaLA

I'm in SoCal, it gets released here tomorrow (18TH) which is a turn up for the books as I was under the impression it didn't get released till May 26TH.

Aside from the Timmay inspired smugPic, I shan't gloat too much !!

Too much.......

mobias

Lucky you, you'll need to let us know what you think. I actually thought it had a global release on the 21st

VegaLA

Shit eating grin is nowhere near Timmays standards so requires more work!!

Quick glance of the contents and like GTAIV it comes with a huge map that folds out into a poster of some blonde bint. The manual touches on the Story and near the back of the book there's a mention of Treasure maps which sounds interesting.

Who wants to touch me?

Pseudopath

Quote from: mobias on May 17, 2010, 02:25:27 PM
I can't quite decide which the more disturbing in this leaked gameplay clip -  the game or the people playing it. It is quite funny though and major points to Rockstar for yet again not letting freedom of gameplay get in the way of courting controversy.

Ha ha! She was chuffed to bits!