Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

iPlayer (via CaB) goes to the movies!

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 03, 2010, 09:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hot on the heels of the recent showing of Tell-No-One, BBC4 has screened another terrific film, The Lives Of Others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00r0sf7/The_Lives_of_Others/

Award-winning political thriller set in 1980s East Germany. Captain Wiesler works for the Stasi, the secret police, and is asked to keep surveillance on a playwright, Georg Dreyman, whose loyalty to the party is under question. During the surveillance Weisler is slowly drawn into Georg's life and begins to question his own ideals.

Broadcast on:BBC Four, 10:00pm
Tuesday 2nd March 2010 Duration: 130 minutes
Available until: 12:09am
Wednesday 10th March 2010
Categories:Films, Drama, Political, Thriller

Santa's Boyfriend

It's very good, yes.  A little hollywoody in its concept and it goes on a bit too long, but still very good.  In fact I think it won the oscar for best foreign film that year.

I've not seen it but I'm doing something on Sartre's 'Les Mains Sales' at the moment, I can see a few parallels. Well worth a read.

Vitalstatistix

Fab film.

I watched The Incredibles on iPlayer over christmas, which was aces also. Long may it continue.

Utter Shit

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 03, 2010, 10:35:27 AM
I've not seen it but I'm doing something on Sartre's 'Les Mains Sales' at the moment, I can see a few parallels. Well worth a read.
Is this at University? Only loads of people have been coming into the language centre where I work (Sussex Uni) recently asking for that very film/play.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A little British film called In The Loop out last year that was quite good as far as people tell me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf174/In_the_Loop/

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 03, 2010, 01:26:21 PM
Is this at University? Only loads of people have been coming into the language centre where I work (Sussex Uni) recently asking for that very film/play.

Sorry, only just seen this. It's actually not at uni, no. I'm getting on a bit now! It's for a presentation on A-Level cultural topics for my teacher training. It's equally popular at post-16 and degree level for French and, I assume, philosophy.

I've never seen the film actually! In fact, thanks, I'll add it in. Good play, well worth a read, distills a lot of his philosophy into a neat little character study/thriller.

vrailaine

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on March 03, 2010, 10:06:45 AM
It's very good, yes. A little hollywoody in its concept and it goes on a bit too long, but still very good.  In fact I think it won the oscar for best foreign film that year.
If that's the way the award that oscar, it shouldn't even exist.

Same goes for animated feature.

Santa's Boyfriend

Foreign film generally means foreign language film.  4 weddings for example wouldn't be in that category.  It is perhaps a bit silly, but then the Oscars was never intended to have a global focus.