Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crazies [split topic]

Started by phes, March 03, 2010, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Just seen 'The Crazies'. It's a very decent outbreak/zombie romp lite. Fine for shits and giggles. Looking forward to shutter island now, having see the trailer several times. Fairly sure it's going to be good or laughably crap, either of which suits.

Vitalstatistix

I thought it was meant to be awful that, might give it a twirl.

Also looking forward to Shutter Island, the review I read suggested it was seriously disconcerting and shocking, and could go on to rival The Shining in the effective horror classic stakes.

phes

I'm being a little generous perhaps, but it was sufficiently pacey and light on dialogue to make it very watchable.

non capisco

Regarding The Crazies, I haven't seen the original but did that have things as daft as
Spoiler alert
a huge plane crashing into a swamp and no sod noticing
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
what I presume to be a concentrated nuclear explosion just about managing to tip a truck over
[close]
? Other than that it was middling fare perfect for a Sunday hangover. I didn't twig the bloke playing the redneck deputy was the English actor who played Peter Hook in 'Control' until I looked on imdb.

Regarding Shutter Island, it might stand or fall on how Scorsese handles
Spoiler alert
the source material's twist ending, which I guessed halfway through the book and my workmate guessed without having read the book just by watching the trailer
[close]
. This talk of it being seriously disconcerting has got me much more excited about it though.

phes

Quote from: non capisco on March 04, 2010, 12:07:13 AM
Regarding The Crazies, I haven't seen the original but did that have things as daft as
Spoiler alert
a huge plane crashing into a swamp and no sod noticing
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
what I presume to be a concentrated nuclear explosion just about managing to tip a truck over
[close]
? Other than that it was middling fare perfect for a Sunday hangover.

I didn't realise it was a remake, but yeah it did. well, it's not really inconceivable that
Spoiler alert
a plane could crash in a remote swamp and only one person would hear,
[close]
is it?

Spoiler alert
the nuclear explosion -  they looked to be several miles from the hypocenter, so you wouldn't really expect the force to be that destructive, but the 'oooohhh, the sky just light up reaaaaally brighWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH'
[close]
was err, fun. 

VegaLA

Quote from: phes on March 04, 2010, 09:36:02 AM
I didn't realise it was a remake,

A George Romero remake none the less. I think it was the first Romero film I ever saw, back in the late 70s on TV one Saturday night. The scene where the
Spoiler alert
old lady went to town on one of the radition suit guys face with a knitting needle
[close]
has stayed with me for life. Did they keep that scene intact for the remake?
The original went underground for many years until Redemption released it on VHS in the mid 90s.

I may see the remake tonight.

SetToStun

Quote from: VegaLA on March 04, 2010, 03:57:12 PM
A George Romero remake none the less. I think it was the first Romero film I ever saw, back in the late 70s on TV one Saturday night. The scene where the
Spoiler alert
old lady went to town on one of the radition suit guys face with a knitting needle
[close]
has stayed with me for life. Did they keep that scene intact for the remake?
The original went underground for many years until Redemption released it on VHS in the mid 90s.

I may see the remake tonight.

Good grief - I must have seen that film over twenty years ago. I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned that spoilered incident. I might just have to go mad and see the new one, just to see how it stacks up.