Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The National - High Violet (2010)

Started by Vitalstatistix, March 06, 2010, 12:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Downloading this now. I only ever one single from The National and it didn't stick with me enough not to delete it but I'm a sucker for hype, yo.

LES GET HYPE Y'ALL

Johnny Townmouse

Is anyone else finding this a bit samey, built around THAT drum rhythm, which always stops three-quarters of the way through the song, a bit of unbacked vocals, and then starts up again slightly faster?

I am going to listen to this on my iPod on a walk to give it my full attention, but I have the feeling that it will go the way of Boxer and will remain for me another album that does not get close to the dizzy heights of Alligator. I don't think they can ever top the song Karen, as much as I really, really want them to.

It sounds rather like a hangover which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your perceptions of a hangover.

I can't say it's compelled me to give it another play through. I'll head backwards and try Alligator.

Vitalstatistix

I like the description Bosto, but for me The Walkmen  will always most fittingly produce the booze-induced feelings of euphoria and self-loathing.

High Violet is woozy and thick, though, an interesting sound for them to go for.  I like the clearer, more muscular drums in Boxer, personally. This album also lacks the offbeat catharsis of Alligator. Saying that though, it's a really strong set of songs, with a defined sound, and it is a grower, so don't give up on it yet, Johnny!

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on May 10, 2010, 09:00:43 AM
I like the description Bosto, but for me The Walkmen  will always most fittingly produce the booze-induced feelings of euphoria and self-loathing.

High Violet is woozy and thick, though, an interesting sound for them to go for.  I like the clearer, more muscular drums in Boxer, personally. This album also lacks the offbeat catharsis of Alligator. Saying that though, it's a really strong set of songs, with a defined sound, and it is a grower, so don't give up on it yet, Johnny!

Oh I certainly won't. I generally find that it takes me at least a couple of months to really nail how I feel about an album. I can also revisit albums that did not impress me off the bat, and years later just seem to connect. Very much a 'it's not you, it's me' issue I imagine. The good thing is that they are in my iTunes folder called 'Work Music' which means that I listen to all their albums whilst writing in my office. This means that the songs tend to make their way into my subconscious.

I'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

Barberism

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 09, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
It sounds rather like a hangover which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your perceptions of a hangover.

I can't say it's compelled me to give it another play through. I'll head backwards and try Alligator.

Alligator is their most immediate album... if they have one. That was my gateway album and where I would recommend anybody to start.

levitica

Conversation 16 is the only song that's really struck me so far, but I agree with lots of people as I think it may well grow on me.