Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Borderlands [split topic]

Started by Second Burner, March 09, 2010, 09:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Second Burner

Managed to pick Borderands up for a good price yesterday and think I could get into this - A nice FPS with RPG level up elements.  Anyone else got this one?

I'm told the single player campaign doesn't do it justice, and that online co-op is the way to go...

turnstyle

Quote from: Second Burner on March 09, 2010, 09:12:58 AM
Managed to pick Borderands up for a good price yesterday and think I could get into this - A nice FPS with RPG level up elements.  Anyone else got this one?

I'm told the single player campaign doesn't do it justice, and that online co-op is the way to go...

Yep, I've got this. Taking my time with it, completing every mission in each section before I move on, so I can level up.

Single player is fine really. I've played online a little bit, and it is more fun, but I suppose most games are. Playing with someone with more experience than you is a great way to level up quickly, which makes the game that little bit easier (it can be a little tough at times).

MojoJojo

From comments I've read, the single player really varies depending on the character you choose. The sniper one is the way to go; the soldiers just a bit of a boring generalist, and the invis-i-lady and grunt character require you to get close, which doesn't really work when you don't have anyone to draw fire.

That's just from comments I've read though. I played as the soldier guy and got too bored to play much further through after about 10 hours.
Offline coop doesn't work very well either - it just doesn't play very well split screen. (In particular, the way you have to "look around" to see all of the mission/shop screens is just awful, but the actual combat sections end up confusing too).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So is that Russian Fallout 3-esque Metro 2033 going to be any good?

falafel

[Neil]I don't know - why don't you start a thread about it?[/Neil]

I hope so. It looks pretty cool.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 09, 2010, 10:21:54 AM
So is that Russian Fallout 3-esque Metro 2033 going to be any good?

Like most games, I've only seen it as a spectator, but it is a pretty beautiful game. I'm ashamed to admit that one bit – where you're ferrying a small boy around the tunnels and he sees the sky for the first time – got me proper choked up.

Gameplay-wise, I've heard mainly good things. It's a classy title all round really.

glitch

If it can somehow cross Fallout with Stalker, I'll definitely be picking it up.

Still haven't really got back into Borderlands. Bought it just before MW2 and it's pretty much been collecting dust since. Are the expansions any good?

Big Jack McBastard

Hmm Borderlands....

I played through as Lilith, I prefer a mix of sneaky and brutal close quarters rucks and her abilities lend themselves to that, liked it at first but it feels kind of empty after a while roaming about the world, does pick up in the later stages and provides some nasty bastards to fight off (can be a bit frustrating when they seem to re-spawn forever though). The ending however leaves a great deal to be desired and the old horse of post-ending sandboxery was disappointingly bereft of rewards or tasks. 

Probably more fun with many players but I can't confirm or deny that yet, to be honest I'm not sure it's going back in the drive again.

6 or 7 out of 10 for effort, not worthy of it's hype. I knew something was up when they announced the change over from 'real world' to 'Jetset Radio Future cell shadey world' graphics. I hear they're doing a sequel, hope they don't fall up their own arses over the sales of the first and listen to some of the gripes it garnered.

niat

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on March 17, 2010, 03:37:18 AM
Hmm Borderlands....

I played through as Lilith, I prefer a mix of sneaky and brutal close quarters rucks and her abilities lend themselves to that, liked it at first but it feels kind of empty after a while roaming about the world, does pick up in the later stages and provides some nasty bastards to fight off (can be a bit frustrating when they seem to re-spawn forever though). The ending however leaves a great deal to be desired and the old horse of post-ending sandboxery was disappointingly bereft of rewards or tasks. 

Probably more fun with many players but I can't confirm or deny that yet, to be honest I'm not sure it's going back in the drive again.

6 or 7 out of 10 for effort, not worthy of it's hype. I knew something was up when they announced the change over from 'real world' to 'Jetset Radio Future cell shadey world' graphics. I hear they're doing a sequel, hope they don't fall up their own arses over the sales of the first and listen to some of the gripes it garnered.

I agree. I sold my copy as I couldn't really get into it. I liked the cel-shaded graphics, and some of the battles and vehicles were fun, but I never felt that there was any variety in the missions. Those fucking skags really started to annoy me, a never ending wave of annoying yappy dogs.

The multiplayer was OK, but not enough to stop me bunging it on eBay.