Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography Challenges

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, March 11, 2010, 12:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on March 13, 2010, 06:28:37 PM
So I imagine not the kind of soft focus loveliness that portraits often are, designed to show the beauty of the subject.

Well that's self-portraits out then. I'm just that blurry beautiful...

Ronnie the Raincoat

I think that's fair enough really!  If you've got five photos, why not?

*waits for sproggy to shout*

Nik Drou

Wait, so the theme for this challenge is 'candid' pictures?  Does that mean I have to go around shoving cameras in people's personal space without asking them, and then posting the results online?  I'm not beyond being annoying to friends and family, but I draw the line at that.

I suppose I could do a 'candid' photo of a dustbin or something.

Ronnie the Raincoat

No, it's portraits!  There's no candid theme, I just meant that candid shots are nice, that's all!  You can do candid shots of people you know.

Puffin Chunks

Not that I'm a photographer, nor am going to have anything to do with this, but here's my worthless opinion anyhow.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the participants to judge. Something like Photography is obviously a very subjective topic, so having one judge puts a lot of weight on one person's opinion.

So, in order to take part you also need to vote on the entrants. Something like 3 points for your favourite, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. You can't vote on your own, and votes are anonymous (sent by PM to the challenge organiser who tots up the figures and collates any comments on the entrants). People who don't vote are disqualified.

Anyhow, just an idea as it helps rule out the subjectivity factor a little, and is an incentive to keep entrants involved at judging stage.

I'll shut up now, as I won't be involved in this competition in any way, but I know a similar system has worked for some music competitions I've entered.

sproggy

Traditional portrait, ticks all the boxes, very nice:

Quirky unconventianal portrait, wide angle, harsh light, ugly shadows but interesting:

Zero Gravitas

My god what's wrong with her fucking hands!

I hate to say it but I'm not sure this is going to be a winner for a first challenge, photographing people even if it's explicity not in a formal style is probably not going to be jumped upon as quickly as a non-human subject or a more asbtract (colour, time, places that echo) theme.

(P.S. I'm definely not scared of going through the explanation that I'm taking photos of friends to post in a photo thread on forum primarily connected to a hateful-paedo-comic)

bloody subtext clipping.

mook

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 15, 2010, 01:18:47 PM
My god what's wrong with her fucking hands!

Heh, sprog as far as remember has two kids, one who is camera shy and the other who isn't, I think he super glued the two together to get that shot.

Milo

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 15, 2010, 01:18:47 PM
(P.S. I'm definely not scared of going through the explanation that I'm taking photos of friends to post in a photo thread on forum primarily connected to a hateful-paedo-comic)

There's also the possible reluctance to post pictures of loved ones as there's a couple of pretty horrendous people who come here and could be desperately cruel. My submitted pictures probably won't be including any identifiable people in an attempt to get around this.

Ronnie the Raincoat

I personally love portraits and know a lot of unshy people so wouldn't have a problem with it, but something else to start would be fine.  Something more abstract might make it better, too, because people can interpret it how they like.

Okay, I like Baxter's suggestion of Time.  That can incorporate anything, including portrait shots.

If no-one objects, I'm starting a new thread for it.  You get a month.

sproggy

'kinell.

Sunsets & kittens then.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Dead kittens.  Rotting kittens. 

You can still do portraits if you like.  I really don't have any objection to them but Milo is right on some points.

Just take photos was my idea!  A theme is just a loose guide anyway.

Cerys

Emma Raducanu

She has feet instead of hands? It gets worse!

Cerys

She is lying on her stomach, supporting her upper body with her arms, and bending her legs at the knee so that her feet are ... sheesh, why am I even trying to explain this?

Emma Raducanu

Okay, I tried doing it but heard a faint snapping sound before my feet even left the ground.

Nik Drou

Well, if it's portraits, I could coax some people at the meet to stay still for a moment.

Cerys

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 16, 2010, 03:36:59 PM
Okay, I tried doing it but heard a faint snapping sound before my feet even left the ground.

You got further than I did, then.

Zero Gravitas

Is there agreement in that case?
Can the games begin?