Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playstation Move [split topic]

Started by Slaaaaabs, March 11, 2010, 10:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaaaaabs

What no chat about the Playstation Metoove?

Nik Drou

Playstation Move Trailer (GDC 2010)

Well, their promo seems to be a bit more honest than the otherwise very similar-looking one to Microsoft's Natal a few months back, as it actually incorporates existing game footage and doesn't pretend that it'll turn your living room into something from the future about twenty years ago.

E3 2009: Project Natal Xbox 360 Announcement

Other than that, it's all rather uninspiring, really.  Sony's model doesn't seem all that advanced from what Nintendo managed to do in 2006. 

mobias

Doesn't appeal at all! I bet few if any of the big AAA titles out there will use its functionality.

I never really got what all the fuss was about with the Wii. The bottom line for me is I actually like gaming because I can do it from of nice comfy seat after a hard days work. I don't really want to have to leap about my room to do it.

chand

Quote from: mobias on March 11, 2010, 12:48:58 PMI never really got what all the fuss was about with the Wii. The bottom line for me is I actually like gaming because I can do it from of nice comfy seat after a hard days work. I don't really want to have to leap about my room to do it.

Yeah, this is broadly how I feel. Be interesting to see what games come out, and it isn't intended to replace the controller anyway, but it has limited appeal for me, mainly because I don't have the fucking room to be pretending to swing a golf club.

jaydee81

Quote from: mobias on March 11, 2010, 12:48:58 PM
Doesn't appeal at all! I bet few if any of the big AAA titles out there will use its functionality.

I never really got what all the fuss was about with the Wii. The bottom line for me is I actually like gaming because I can do it from of nice comfy seat after a hard days work. I don't really want to have to leap about my room to do it.

This is why you're all fat fuckers. Wii isn't really about hardcore gaming is it? Its something for pissed groups of people to play. My lass hates computer games but she loves a bit of Wii Fit.
As do I. It helped me lose a stone.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 11, 2010, 01:27:32 PM
My lass hates computer games but she loves a bit of Wii Fit.

As a purist I think gaming should be about spotty males sitting in darkened rooms racing cars and blowing shit up. Not girls with weight issues prancing around in front of a screen. If you want to loose some weight join a fucking gym and do it properly, and leave the video games to the real men. 

All you need to complete the experience is an ever-smiling American WASP family with perfect teeth, and a giant living room.

Nik Drou

As a purist I think gaming should be and is for everybody.  Oh, and Mario Galaxy is a more 'hardcore' gaming experience than some PS3 army sim where you get to pretend to shoot Russians.

VegaLA

Quote from: chand on March 11, 2010, 01:24:26 PM
Yeah, this is broadly how I feel.

Ditto.

And i'm not fat. Awe no.
Far from it.

mook

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 11, 2010, 01:27:32 PM
My lass hates computer games but she loves a bit of Wii Fit.

Ouch - mind that'll teach you not to play while wearing a thong.

jaydee81

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on March 11, 2010, 03:02:29 PM
As a purist I think gaming should be about spotty males sitting in darkened rooms racing cars and blowing shit up. Not girls with weight issues prancing around in front of a screen. If you want to loose some weight join a fucking gym and do it properly, and leave the video games to the real men.

1. I am not a girl with weight issues. Neither is my lass. She is a girl with computer game issues.
2. I don't need to LOOSE any weight. I'm not fat.
3. I've already LOOST it so I don't need to join a gym.

Carry on.

Viero_Berlotti

No worries, I was just yanking your chain.

However the miserable sod in me does get irked by the way Nintendo market the Wii as some kind of dreadful 'lifestyle accessory'.

I had one for about six months and got bored with it pretty quickly and it was soon gathering dust under the TV. So I flogged it and got a PS3 when GTA4 came out and I use it all the time. I don't think I'll be bothering with this Move device.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If I might make a no doubt hackneyed observation, it looks like some sort of freaky sex toy.

Quote from: mobias on March 11, 2010, 12:48:58 PM

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 05, 2010, 03:26:57 PM
Yeah, but that generalisation stems more from advertisements than reality! To take Metroid as an example: although you're pointing at the screen with the remote, your movements require as much physical movement as if you were using a mouse, there's just a greater sense of involvement. You're not 'waggling' or 'shaking' anything and you're certainly not standing up! I can count on one hand the games which require or even encourage you to do the latter. Even in SMG, which does require a barely perceptible flick of the wrist, no human being - besides my nan, probably - would actively shake the controller as it's neither necessary nor beneficial. You are basically using joypad movements with very minor physical elements.

I'm not suggesting you've not come to a first-hand conclusion on this but it's precisely what all my mates said before they'd actually played on it.

It's the least accurate and most repeated comment in gaming history.

Still Not George

Actually, stuff that uses the Wii MotionPlus actually does require you to move around a lot.

And, let's be honest, look a bit of a twat

I'm just a bit bored of repeating the same thing to people who played Wii Sports three years ago.

Of all the time I've spent on the Wii, 99% of it has been sitting down, twiddling thumbs, as in days of yore.

mobias

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 11, 2010, 07:32:09 PM
It's the least accurate and most repeated comment in gaming history.

So are you saying most Wii games can be played sitting down? Not the ones I've played, at least not comfortably. Pretty much all of them required at the very least a fair amount of arm movement if not whole upper body movement to play well. I just want to put my feet up and lean back on my big comfy sofa to play games.

The huge popularity of the Wii obviously shows there is an enormous market for its sort of approach to gaming but it'll be interesting to see just how that gets adopted by PS3 and 360 owners.

weekender

Doesn't this boil down to 'hardcore' gaming vs 'casual' gaming?

I've never got into the former, the Quake series bored me what with all the having to switch guns etc.  The latter appeals to me personally, because playing stuff like Wii Sports with other people is fun.

On the middle ground, I play games that I like - Mario Kart Wii etc - and trounce the casual gamers at it.  I can do New Super Mario Bros Wii and enjoy it because it's my sort of game.

I suppose in theory as a platform a games console should appeal to everyone - the hardcore gamers, the casual players and the middle ground people like me.  I think the fact that the Wii appealed to many casual gamers who don't take games overly seriously is probably its major selling point, but the fact that it can support some games which are more in-depth is obviously a plus.

Ultimately, I think the Wii has been a major shift in attitudes towards gaming, so I agree with mobias that it will be interesting to see how the PS3/360 chaps develop the ability to deliver a casual/fun style of game whilst at the same time pleasing the more 'hardcore' gamers.

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zelda, SMG, Mario Kart, PES, RE4, New Super Mario Bros, Excite Truck, Okami, Smash Bros Brawl, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, De Blob, Paper Mario, Lost Winds...

Almost all of those would be must-buys on any other system.

weekender

I still haven't got round to playing Okami, can someone make a thread about why I should?

Yeah, I might as well, since I'm FUMING that I had to miss the Panda Bear gig tonight.

Edit: Actually, I'm kind of not in the mood right now and got a banging headache.

Aww, diddums!

So I'll have a bash at it tomorrow.

Still Not George

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 11, 2010, 08:29:09 PM
Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zelda, SMG, Mario Kart, PES, RE4, New Super Mario Bros, Excite Truck, Okami, Smash Bros Brawl, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, De Blob, Paper Mario, Lost Winds...

Almost all of those would be must-buys on any other system.
Emphasis very much on the "Almost". Excite Truck? Seriously? Tats vs Capcom? Srsly? New Super Mario Bros is overrated as is Lost Winds, Pro Evo is... pretty much the same as every other football game. And don't get me started on Smash Bros Brawl...

A goodly number of "Wii Classics" are pretty much only classics because there's nothing else on the bloody thing apart from Nintendo's output. I will point to No More Heroes as the clear exception to this rule, however...

Okami is on another system and, in fact, was on there first.

Have you played Tats vs. Capcom? Do you like beat-em-ups in general? It shits on anything current-gen except SF4.

NSMB may be over-rated but would be a must-buy if it were released on 360/PS3. It's still better than Little Big Planet. Do you like platform games in general?

Pro Evo Wii is so far ahead of the pad version (whistles, bells and all) that I find all other football games redundant now. Again, I know you have no interest in football games. If that control system were possible on the 360/PS3, the old would be dead.

Excite Truck is divisive, certainly, but for someone interested in the arcade end of driving games, it's better than Mario Kart Wii, which is way better than yer Need For Speeds/Burnout, etc, which send me to sleep. I'd say its single-player mode gives the original Mario Kart a run for its money. It's one of those games that gets much better when you're good at it. Getting the 'S' class challenges is probably the most fun I've had on the Wii outside of SMG.

I don't like Brawl, personally, but it's incredibly popular with punters and press and would be flying off the shelves on any other platform, too.

Lost Winds is about as good as Braid, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.

Anyway, my point was: there are plenty of lazy cunt Wii games of equal quality to what passes on other platforms. If you don't have (or don't want to use) a PC for gaming, these systems are fine, it's certainly not a competition, but I'm thoroughly dullified with: 'I just want to sit and chill on the couch...not leap around like a maniac! HAHA!'.

And yes, Okami was on PS2 first, as was RE4. Still, the Wii versions would be seen as definitive due to the control system, as with PES.

The lack of agreed-upon definitions for casual vs hardcore causing trouble again. Damn you words!

I guess that finger chopping zen bastard was right all along.

I'm going to chop all of your fucking tits off and feed them to my fish.

Still Not George

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 11, 2010, 09:17:57 PM
Have you played Tats vs. Capcom? Do you like beat-em-ups in general? It shits on anything current-gen except SF4.
I think we possibly like different things in our beat-em-ups.

QuoteNSMB may be over-rated but would be a must-buy if it were released on 360/PS3. It's still better than Little Big Planet. Do you like platform games in general?
You fecking WHAT?  Oh man, your wrongness is so great I can barely stand it. I must immediately fight you (on the Internet)!

NSMB could not be more inferior to Little Big Planet. Paper Mario might possibly be in the same league, but NSMB?

QuoteExcite Truck is divisive, certainly, but for someone interested in the arcade end of driving games, it's better than Mario Kart Wii, which is way better than yer Need For Speeds/Burnout, etc, which send me to sleep.
Well, I didn't mention MKWii, cos I was trying to avoid mentioning Ninty stuff too much. But that's shite too, and not a patch even on Burnout Paradise. Motorstorm and its sequel shit on both MKWii and Excite Truck from a spectacular height.

QuoteI don't like Brawl, personally, but it's incredibly popular with punters and press and would be flying off the shelves on any other platform, too.
Nah. The fanboys buy it and the casuals see it's a cartoon fighting game, buy it, hammer some buttons and win, so they decide it's the BEST GAME EVAR LIKE. As for the press, I've been noticing a growing "ah yeah actually it's shit" theme. I'll hunt sources down later if I can be arsed.

QuoteLost Winds is about as good as Braid, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.
WASH YOUR FILTHY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP, UNBELIEVER!
Er, yeah. Gonna have to chalk that down to difference of opinion really.

QuoteAnd yes, Okami was on PS2 first, as was RE4. Still, the Wii versions would be seen as definitive due to the control system, as with PES.
I've not played RE4 on Wii yet, hence not commenting. I have to say I still don't see what everyone's raving about with the Okami control system. If anything I find it inferior as my arm doesn't normally ache after using the PS2 for Okami playtimes.

Still Not George

Oh fuck. I've gone and ruined the thread. Sorry everyone.