Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] In praise of AudioMulch

Started by Lee, March 12, 2010, 12:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

Fans of AudioMulch unite!

On my previous laptop, which is four and a half years old, making any kind of music was a challenge. Improvising live in GranuLab generally caused the machine to crash two minutes before the end, which was embarrassing as the last time that happened I was attempting to keep a group of people who were on a stag do from heckling me with some walls of noise. It certainly wouldn't run AudioMulch.

On Wednesday I finally bought a new PC, and a couple of hours ago managed to load up AudioMulch. And I absolutely love it. For those who've not heard of it, it's a piece of software that allows for live audio DSP, letting you play around with audio files, loops and VST instruments through MIDI. To give you one example, it's what Shitmat uses for destroying various classic breakbeats - loading up VST plugins and recording the results direct to the hard drive. And thankfully for a talentless hack such as myself, it's very easy to use. Once you've got a sound loaded up you can just play around with things very easily, load up new patches on the fly, mix multi-track files live and all sorts. Love it.

I'm a little buzzed on copious amounts of chocolate right now (I'm on E....... numbers), so I'm probably getting a little overexcited about all this... but I don't care. It's coming up to 1am, I'm destroying a piano loop, and I am having more fun with music production than I've had since first loading GranuLab back in 2006. That said, I know I'm only scratching the surface, so if anyone's got any hints or tricks they'd care to share, I'd be very interested to hear them.

I'm off to distort some gamelan............................

NoSleep

I haven't heard about this since it was in beta. Sadly, they are no longer supporting Mac PowerPCs so I'm unable to try it... unless somebody knows where I can pick up a legacy version?

See also Plogue Bidule and NI's Reaktor.

falafel

Oh yeah, haven't had a play with this in ages. I bet it's matured looooads since I last had a fiddle.

In fact I haven't made any music for a while either. Is it free? Don't answer, I'll google it. Back later. Ciao and all that.