Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Lady Gaga Video [split topic]

Started by El Unicornio, mang, March 13, 2010, 12:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

The Plunger

That is one of the best music videos for years. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after the first viewing.

Twibbie

The video is a lot of fun but I wish they had found a way of making it without dicing the song up. I only say that because if that had been my first exposure to that song I probably wouldn't have realised quite how ball-bustingly awesome it is. It needs the relentless to have the continual winding-up effect where you keep going, "Ah this bit's the chorus... no wait, this bit's the chorus... no hang on, this bit's the chorus!"

rjd2

The video is incredible I agree, but the song's a bit dull and repetitive which is a shame as I do like Gaga, thats the price you pay for having Beyonce on your track though.

Twibbie

I was just about to edit to say that Beyoncé's bit is the only bit in the song which doesn't work; it feels really tacked on and totally interrupts the rhythm, although it's still not enough to stop it being

Quote from: Twibbie on March 13, 2010, 12:54:53 AMball-bustingly awesome

non capisco

I love that!

I have a hell of a lot of time for Lady Gaga. She's a proper pop star. It used to annoy me when people sneered at Michael Jackson for floating a big statue of himself down the Thames, as if that's the sort of thing that pop stars shouldn't be doing. The same numptys get the hump with Lady Gaga for wearing a hat shaped like a phone and making hypnotisingly nuts videos like that one.

Viero_Berlotti

Does anybody else work with idiots that still truly believe that Lady Gaga is a man? I've just got tired of explaining to them it was all a bit of self-mythologising. However apparently "she admitted on Oprah that she used to be a man" so that's gotta mean she has a knob lol.

Bennygaylord

What do you like about the video? Think it's shite personally. Lasts forever and interrupts the woefully thin song (first listen right enough).

CaledonianGonzo

DJ One Record

Lee Van Cleef

I quite like Lady Gaga's music, myself.

Seems like an incredible amount of effort to make up for a piss-weak tune.

To that end, it worked.

That said, I've thought all of her songs were piss-weak with nasty thin production but after being bludgeoned by them, they kind of grew on me.

thugler

That is a truly bizarre video. And she just keeps putting out great songs. Amazing amount of product placement in the video as well.

She's great! Like a far better hyper version of classic madonna.

Vitalstatistix

It's a complete mess.

Attention-seeking shite.

Anyone who doesn't like the constant interruptions might want to check out this re-edit someone posted on the popjustice forum:

http://vimeo.com/10123703

I love the song and the video, although if anything I think the Alphabeat remix is even better:

Lady GaGa - Telephone (Alphabeat Remix) [Feat. Beyoncé]

Neil

Three minutes of intriguing build-up, followed by quickly dashing for the off button as soon as her stupid, bland, auto-tuned singing starts up. 

Yes, pop stars should be doing mental things etc etc, that's all great, but what's the point when the actual music is so underachieving?  Reminds me of how everyone was so superficially impressed by The Sugababes when they started up 'oh wow, they sit on stools on TOTP, they aren't playing the game!'  That's what you're meant to think, but what does it actually matter when the music itself is so generic? 

An tSaoi

That video reminded me of Michael Jackson's Thriller, ie hugely indulgent and takes ages to get to the song, as well as being (presumably) pointlessly expensive and too long for any music video channel to bother paying in its entirety. Sadly unlike Thriller the song isn't any good when they finally start playing it. I don't think the non-singing bits of the video are particularly good either; its just trying so, so hard to be weird and zany for the sake of it. On top of that Lady GaGa and Beyoncé can't act - unless of course they're doing deliberately bad acting for irony or something. And stealing from Kill Bill of all places (Pussy Wagon) is pretty uninspired.

It's really more about the fashion than the music for her isn't it?

Entropy Balsmalch

With regards to the production of the music, while I'm not a big fan myself, it is actually incredibly well produced. It's very "clean", which is what commercial producers strive for to get a big radio hit - it cuts through and sounds big even when it's been crushed to fuck by being recompressed over and over.

Of course, I'm using the term "well produced" in an entirely technical and not aesthetic way, as for me, I prefer my electronic music more rough and crunchy.

I think that 'cleanliness' is what makes me physically uncomfortable about her music, Balsmalch. The synths trouble me on a subconscious level. It's only after hearing the singles fifty times that I can make out a tune, instead of a buzz of FM noise.

Gotta agree with the nay-sayers, this video is a right load of old bollocks. Like the whole Gaga project in general, it looks great but there's nothing there. As has been said, neither Gaga nor Beyonce can say their lines convincingly, Gaga herself is coming across more tiresomely attention-seeking than anything else, and the tune itself is piss-weak. The product placement is lame as well. No doubt everyone's gonna go gaga over it, though.

God, it's just SHIT. What is WRONG with you idiots? Some attention whore slut getting naked and gyrating around IS NOT ART OR MUSIC OR ANYTHING, IT'S JUST SHIT. GET OFF MY FUCKING PLANET.

thugler

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 13, 2010, 01:27:05 PM
It's a complete mess.

Attention-seeking shite.

Entirely the point.

It's amazing. And after seeing her sing live on several things, she's got a cracking voice too.

Naysayers don't understand that really commercial pop music can be done really well, and that wackiness/craziness/weirdness is exactly what is needed to make this stand out and make it exciting and interesting.

As if any popstar isn't an attention whore!

Paaaaul

Shit soulless pop song with a fairly standard but overlong Jonas Åkerlund video.

The video,wackiness,craziness,weirdness,hype,production and image of the popstar should all be secondary to writing good songs.

It's depressing seeing a forum of relatively intelligent people being suckered in by this bullshit.

non capisco

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 13, 2010, 04:13:57 PM
The video,wackiness,craziness,weirdness,hype,production and image of the popstar should all be secondary to writing good songs.

Horses for courses, innit, but I think 'Bad Romance' and 'Pokerface' are both really good pop songs, the former in particular. I grant you 'Telephone' isn't top echelon stuff but I think it's unfair to say her popularity is entirely driven by image.

QuoteIt's depressing seeing a forum of relatively intelligent people being suckered in by this bullshit.

Don't be daft.

rjd2

Quote from: non capisco on March 13, 2010, 04:39:09 PM
Horses for courses, innit, but I think 'Bad Romance' and 'Pokerface' are both really good pop songs.

Don't be daft.

Have you ever been in a decent nightclub when Bad Romance comes on? Its fucking awesome the reaction it generates. Pop music doesn't have to be 100% serious all the time kids.

Custard

Yeah, what's with the anger in this thread?

The Region Legion u iz such a h8tor, bro! wb

El Unicornio, mang

The song isn't that great (I still think Just Dance is her best), but the video is memorable and entertaining I think. I'm certainly not being "suckered in" by it, it's just enjoyable on a totally from-the-gut level. Probably won't care about it a year from now but nothing wrong with some throwaway pop now and again.

Quote from: thugler on March 13, 2010, 03:46:22 PM
Entirely the point.

It's amazing. And after seeing her sing live on several things, she's got a cracking voice too.

Naysayers don't understand that really commercial pop music can be done really well, and that wackiness/craziness/weirdness is exactly what is needed to make this stand out and make it exciting and interesting.

As if any popstar isn't an attention whore!

Still not sure if this post is satire or not, especially the bit in bold.

thugler

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 13, 2010, 04:13:57 PM
Shit soulless pop song with a fairly standard but overlong Jonas Åkerlund video.

It's depressing seeing a forum of relatively intelligent people being suckered in by this bullshit.

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Plenty of clever people have shit taste.

I defy you to not see how packed with hooks her songs are.

thugler

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 13, 2010, 04:58:03 PM
Still not sure if this post is satire or not, especially the bit in bold.

It's not, I'm deadly serious.

Are you saying that commercial pop music cannot be good?