Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When historical films don't reflect history

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, March 13, 2010, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 14, 2010, 12:10:41 AM
Also, A Beautiful Mind. I really like the film, but all the stuff about him seeing things is bollocks, all of John Nash's hallucinations were aural. Still, I guess it worked better visually to have him conversing with imaginary characters.
Didn't it get nominated for best original screenplay at the Oscars because it was deemed to not follow the narrative of the biography which it claimed to be based on at all?

gatchamandave

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 14, 2010, 02:22:32 PM
The worst one is Jesus. They're always make films about him as if he existed but there is no evidence the geezer ever did!

Provided one ignores the mention of him in Suetonius, presumably

Jemble Fred

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 15, 2010, 09:44:13 AM

While I also fall on the side of believing that there was some kind of historical Jesus (for the reasons outlined on the last page), not one of the 'historical' mentions really stands up; especially Suetonius', which is just a passing remark about someone called 'Chrestus' (apparently a spelling mistake) riling up jews. No historical mentions of 'Christians' can really be said to count towards Jesus' historicity either. It's leap of faith time again really, whether you're talking about Jesus, Arthur or whomever.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 15, 2010, 09:44:13 AM
He was another one born years after Jesus supposedly lives who briefly refers to someone who could be anyone. Only people looking later seeing what they want to see interpret it as Jesus.

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 15, 2010, 10:44:36 AM
He was another one born years after Jesus supposedly lives who briefly refers to someone who could be anyone. Only people looking later seeing what they want to see interpret it as Jesus.

[Joke involving feigned shock at suggestion of ahistoricity of Jesus. Further jocular inquiry designed to convey further feigned shock at the resultant suggestion of potential unreality of events in BBC drama Holby City based, with humourously little supporting reasoning, upon the presence of actor Robert Powell in both Holby City (as Nurse Mark Williams) and Jesus of Nazareth (as Jesus of Nazareth)]

biggytitbo

There's no evidence Robert Powell ever existed though is there? He was a later amalgam constructed out of several earlier Robert Powells.

Santa's Boyfriend

And indeed a later version that solved crimes.

(hence the breakaway sect of Detectivists)