Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Even Seinfeld's co-writer fails to see funny side of his TV comeback"

Started by NoSleep, March 15, 2010, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

The Marriage Ref

I hadn't seen word of this before today (please direct others to the relevant thread from here, if necessary).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/even-seinfelds-cowriter-fails-to-see-funny-side-of-his-tv-comeback-1921408.html

Jerry Seinfeld's new reality show, where celebrities (this week: Larry David, Madonna & Rick Gervais - Seinfeld himself appeared in the panel for the first two shows) referee the marital problems of real couples.

I can't comment until I've seen it, of course.

Tiny Poster

Wonder if the article authors read this first?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/larry-david-hates-the-marriage-ref-as-much-as-we-d,39149/

I'm amused that they try to paint him as a riches-to-rags failure, given he's made way more than $85m in the past couple of years alone.

NoSleep

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

wherearethespoons

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 15, 2010, 12:02:26 PM
Typically boneheaded comments beneath that article - one bloke hates Seinfeld because of its perceived lack of irony and subtlety. I mean, where do you start?

I was about to post that. The comment in full then;

QuoteIt's simply that Americans are inherently boorish and arrogant therefore are unable to comprehend irony or subtlety in their comedy. Seinfeld was never funny; get over it!

Artemis

If this description is in any way accurate...

QuoteSeinfeld's reality TV series in which guest stars are invited to comment on the marital problems of ordinary couples

...I can ony imagine how terrible it must be - that's a truly awful premise. I'll look out for it. I must say I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this until now.

NoSleep

I'm watching the Larry David episode now and the Independent article has quoted the panel's comments out of context (surprise). Larry David et al seem quite happy to be part of the proceedings and even supplied a few laughs. It certainly isn't the car crash described in the article.

I've just seen the first episode. I don't like the show's host. He's gurning, and mincing about the whole time, looking pleased with himself. It just reminded me of the 'real cute' stand up comic that tries to hire Albi Singer to write for him in Annie Hall.

MC Root

I've got to say I was horrified to hear of this project, and to see Larry David actively involved in it has really shattered my illusions about Larry not actually sticking to what you'd imagine he would say and have complained about the show to Jerry in the very pre-production stages, but no, there he is in the promo I saw happily chatting about some couple's marriage? Urgh. And the way Seinfeld went about selling it as a companion piece to Seinfeld in that in Seinfeld they dealt with relationships in a totally casual manner and portrayed characters that were entirely indifferent to concepts of marriage and love and this is somehow some kind of compliment to that show made me ill. I mean real dry-retching.

Oh here it is, I knew I was off by a bit in his wretched explanation, but I was close:

NBC co-chair Ben Silverman said Seinfeld pitched the show as a companion piece of sorts to his classic sitcom. The comedian increasingly has used married life for material in his stand-up act. So while being a bachelor inspired "Seinfeld," the comedian's married years will inspire his unscripted program.

I mean his stand up went into Ray Romano type married material from the bootlegs I heard, but god, who could have seen this horror as the ultimate result of that change in direction.

Artemis

What did you think of the actual show, MC Root? Assuming you've actually watched it...

QuoteFor Seinfeld, the golden boy of 1990s television, it is a long way to have fallen since he first starred in his eponymous television show in 1989. By the time the series finished in 1998, he could do nothing wrong. But his critics would say he has done little right since. He has been involved in a documentary, written a few books and produced the animated film, Bee Movie.

This is the best bit in the article.

Tiny Poster

Plus, his documentary was acclaimed and is one of the best ever made about stand-up.

Also, he's made a very successful return to live performance, which was always his forte and first love. Little right since, indeed.

It's a gloriously ignorant dismissal which for me peaks at 'a few books'. This show seems a bit daft but the bending of reality to fit a snide angle made me lots of laughs.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: NoSleep on March 15, 2010, 01:16:24 PM
I'm watching the Larry David episode now and the Independent article has quoted the panel's comments out of context (surprise). Larry David et al seem quite happy to be part of the proceedings and even supplied a few laughs. It certainly isn't the car crash described in the article.

David made the clip I just watched marginally tolerable, because of his endearingly angry personality. Everyone else can fuck off, especially that cunting iguana.

tcm77

I just watched the 3rd episode, and quite liked it for what it is. Larry seemed to be more annoyed by Madonna than the actual premise of the show.