Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BOSS

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 16, 2010, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_(video_gaming)

QuoteA boss is an enemy-based challenge (and a computer-controlled opponent in such challenge) which is found in video games.[1] A fight with a boss character is commonly referred to as a boss battle.[2] Boss battles are generally seen at the climax of a particular section of the game, usually at the end of a stage or level, or guarding a specific objective, and the boss enemy is generally far stronger than the opponents the player has faced up to that point

Tell me your favourite computer game BOSSES and any accompanying anecdotes about how you felt your fingers were turning into floppy chipolatas by the end.

My favourite recent game with BOSS FIGHTS was Ninja Gaiden, as they were suitably ludicrous and MENTAL.

boki

You just want to see who drops the N-bomb first, don't ya?

Resident Evil - Plant 42

It doesn't look like much but I remember using all my health and ammo on the cunt. Acid/fire grenade rounds. Every bullet from Magnum/Shotgun and finally finished it off with the Beretta. I saved it a short while later and found it almost impossible to carry on with my exhausted supplies, then found out in a magazine you could just mix up some chemicals and cunt its root off.

Still gets me. I don't know if I ever finished Resident Evil for this reason.

Guy

He's in-des-tructaba-allll! In-des-tructaba-allll! In-des-tructaba-allll!

There he is on level 5, killing all your compadres before nicking off. You come up against him again on level 10 (before the final boss):

He is impervious to ALL of your weapons. The solution? Hmm, try chipping away at the BIGGEST CANON IN THE UNIVERSE behind him. Watch out though, it fires bullets this big:

mikeyg27

I've accidentally started my third play though Super Metroid (I just started for a piss about, and have ended up getting sucked in again...) and that has some rocking bosses.

Kraid.

The most 'Holy Shit!' inducing boss in the game, what with him being two screens tall. In fact, the sheer size of the bastard tends to blind you from the fact that he's not that hard to beat when you know how.

Crocomire

The first time I played this game, I went into my fight with Crocomire without the Charge Beam, which isn't necessary to beat him but it sure fucking helps (Damn you, non-linearity! *shakes fist*). Not a mistake I've made since.

Phantoon

Almost certainly the boss which made me swear and throw things at the screen the most. What makes this even more frustrating is that on this run-through I've found the way to defeat him with minimal difficulty.

biggytitbo

I hate bosses. They're shit! Seriously, they invariablely ruin enjoyable games do bosses.

PAGATRON

I'll probably be the first to bring this up.

Ruby and Emerald Weapon from Final Fantasy VII

Ruby Weapon

Emerald Weapon

I can't express how badass cunting bastards these are, You come at them with the most powerful weapons, biggest magics, strongest armor and the fullest Maximum Stats but that's not enough, you need serious amounts of luck because they can, if they want to, pull one move which says fuck off, and that's it game over.

Treguard of Dunshelm

From the first proper game I ever owned:

Not the hardest boss ever, but the feeling I got after beating him was nearly as good as losing my cherry.

Viero_Berlotti

DJ Solid Snail

^ Are those the ones from MGS4? If so, I found those lot uncharacteristically dullish for a MGS game - well, apart from the dull ones in 2, 3 and...um, all the games after 1 - especially when they used a ridiculous Psycho Mantis cameo purely as a way to plug the technical capabilities of the PS3. Bad and shameless. Or is that a joke about the brand of clothing 'BOSS'?

As for good Kojima, though, this bloke in Policenauts was great fun:

The whole game's leading up to getting a showdown with this sociopath and all-round curmudgeon, and it's fantastically anticlimatic - but in a good way, somehow. It's a shame he'll never make a game half that good again. After playing MGS4, I'm convinced he's lost his mind (but not in a way that's helpful in producing good art).

Viero_Berlotti

Yes those women played the bosses from MGS4, which I'm probably in the minority on here in thinking was a work of insane genius, but apart from the MGS series I've not really played many Kojima games so maybe I can't really judge.

I enjoyed all the boss battles in MGS4, especially the mind-bending Laughing Octopus and the atmospheric night-time blizzard setting of the Crying Wolf battle.

Zero Gravitas

The best I can think of are the mini-bosses from the Soul Reaver games particularly whatever the aquatic one which had a very cool usage of sunlight weakness, oh and the Elder God itself.

Jumping around the place while tentacles thrash about is always fun.

VegaLA

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

turnstyle

Contra 3, or Super Probotector to give it's (non) proper name had some excellent bosses.

The boss on the first level is a flame vomitting, maggot chucking, skeleton tortoise. THE FIRST LEVEL.

This guy used to make me feel queasy:

This boss was an airship, which you had to destroy with missiles you were hanging onto:

This may have been the best game ever.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So far the side scrolling 90's platformers seem to be winning, by the sheer scale and stupidity of their designs.

eluc55

Metroid Prime - Final Boss Pt. 1

The final boss in Metroid Prime; a perfect finale to one of the best games ever. An unimaginable bastard. This is just part 1.   

eluc55

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - World 8 BOWSER CASTLE (FINAL BOSS) [HQ 480p]

Bowser at the end of New Super Mario Bros for wii. A nice twist on the usual Nintendo boss format. Becomes a level in itself.

Then try it with four people playing. It redefines insane.

N64 era:

Banjo Kazooie - The Final Battle

BANJO-KAZOOIE GAME OVER

This gal was great, taunting you in rhyme throughout the game, breaking the fourth wall, and generally being funny. Final battle was tough as nails too.

hpmons

The first time I played Diablo 2 he was fecking terrifying, just so bluming difficult.  First you've got to open up five seals anyway, fighting against four different mini-bosses and their followers, and I died several times even then.

Up to that point, the strategy for all difficult fights was "Open a portal, fight the monster until I have no health potions, run, restock, run back, re-open portal".  Most of the time Diablo's attacks were strong enough to kill me in a couple of hits (saying more about my crap items than Diablo himself perhaps), and they were...scary! Flames shooting out everywhere, a loooong electric beam thing, and just generally stomping about...

But then if you went to a portal to go back to town and restock, when you went through the portal to go back to Diablo...He had cast a bone prison around the portal! You can't move and just have to attack this prison first (assuming you're playing as a melee character) while he stomps nearer and nearer to you and then blasts his red lightning hose and...you die.

Little Hoover

Spiteface

This is one that always sticks in my head when I witnessed it the first time:

Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos.

As a fan back then, seeing SUPER SONIC in 3D for the first time was an amazing thing.  Crap voice acting aside, i still get goosebumps seeing the transformation cutscene, as all the people of Station Square chant Sonic's name (Actually sampled from a real crowd too, when Sonic Adventure was first unveiled).  Made going through those fucking dreadful fishing levels worthwhile just to get to this part of the story.

madhair60

Seven Force, in all its guises.

Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive)

Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force (Expert + Fire/Laser) no damage

Gunstar Super/Future Heroes (GBA)

Seven Force Hard mode, No Gunstar cannon, Perfect.

Alien Soldier (Mega Drive)

Alien Soldier - 7TH FORCE

It also appears (in a way) in Treasure's Astro Boy: the Omega Factor, but I couldn't find a decent video.

I am going to have fun with this thread. :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How many games has Satan been the end of game Boss and which of them was the best Satan?

Slaaaaabs

Wolfenstein 3D

The Early 90's

Oh and the
Spoiler alert
Human-Reaper
[close]
from Mass Effect 2 was a recent good one visually, if a little easy.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: PAGATRON on March 16, 2010, 03:03:45 PM
I'll probably be the first to bring this up.

Ruby and Emerald Weapon from Final Fantasy VII

Ruby Weapon

Emerald Weapon

I can't express how badass cunting bastards these are, You come at them with the most powerful weapons, biggest magics, strongest armor and the fullest Maximum Stats but that's not enough, you need serious amounts of luck because they can, if they want to, pull one move which says fuck off, and that's it game over.

See also:

Omega Weapon, the fucking slag, from F.F. VIII.

Just... why god.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What a truly ugly period for game art, that was. Where's the LOVE?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's well weapon.

Peru

Don't think this game has been mentioned:

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer

Suttonpubcrawl