Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:49:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Just Cause 2 [split topic]

Started by mobias, March 17, 2010, 11:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Downloaded the Just Cause 2 demo this evening. Hmmm. The bright sunny rural environment feels quite refreshing after GTAIV's never ending urban sprawl but other than that all it shows is how much better Rockstar do this sort of thing. The game physics in Just Cause 2 appear to be all over the place. Good when it comes to explosions but dreadful when it comes vehicles, GTAIII was better than this on the PS2 back in 2001.

The whole thing is just far to fast paced. Looks like there's fun to be had but its a shame it all seems so vacuous.

thugler

Quote from: mobias on March 17, 2010, 11:04:47 PM
Downloaded the Just Cause 2 demo this evening. Hmmm. The bright sunny rural environment feels quite refreshing after GTAIV's never ending urban sprawl but other than that all it shows is how much better Rockstar do this sort of thing. The game physics in Just Cause 2 appear to be all over the place. Good when it comes to explosions but dreadful when it comes vehicles, GTAIII was better than this on the PS2 back in 2001.

The whole thing is just far to fast paced. Looks like there's fun to be had but its a shame it all seems so vacuous.

First one was pretty but total wank gameplay wise. Played the demo, seems exactly the same but with nicer graphics.

Nik Drou

I'm playing this now.  I'm currently airlifting a lightweight aircraft via a pilfered helicopter, before disconnecting at the optimum height in an attempt to skydive down and enter the plane before it has a chance to crash.

If nothing else, there's certainly fun to be had.

And bugger, didn't pull it off.

Mr Colossal

I was just about to say 'and to think I thought the idea of entrapment was bad!'

mobias

Has anyone got this and played it yet? Apparently it came out today. Still in 2 minds about whether or not I liked the demo enough to spend 40 quid on it. Its either this or God of War and I'm undecided about both.

chand

Quote from: mobias on March 24, 2010, 09:14:28 PM
Has anyone got this and played it yet? Apparently it came out today. Still in 2 minds about whether or not I liked the demo enough to spend 40 quid on it. Its either this or God of War and I'm undecided about both.

Comes out on Friday in the EU, yesterday in the US.

mobias

Quote from: chand on March 24, 2010, 09:18:41 PM
Comes out on Friday in the EU, yesterday in the US.

Ah, cheers for that.

Big Jack McBastard

Hmmm thinking I'll wait till this is available secondhand. (shit I do that for most games anyway) but I do sort of want to see how it looks as the first was beautiful if empty.

mobias

It does seem to be getting universally above average reviews but I don't think I'm going to bother with it, depends on how bored I get this weekend. With the GTAIV episodes plus Red Dead Redemption just around the corner it does seem like there's two far superior sand box games waiting to eat up my life (yet again in the case of GTAIV)

mobias

Bought the full game this afternoon and have been playing it ever since. Its good mindless fun. If you halfway enjoyed the demo then I fully recommend getting it. The size of the map is truly monumental and for a sandbox game of this size the graphics are really quite impressive. I do wish they had Rockstar's attention to detail though. Its got nowhere near the sort of gaming atmosphere GTA has. There isn't the sense that this is a living breathing world like Liberty City is in GTAIV but once you realise that this is not what this game is really about you begin to enjoy it. Its just great mindless fun blowing things up endlessly and causing total mayhem. The mission structure leaves a lot to be desired though, there's a big learning curve to grapple with as to how you proceed through the game, I'm still getting to grips with it all. 

chand

The uploading straight to YouTube feature is cool, just uploaded this video of me using the tether to make a guy fall off his bike.

YouTube

chocky909

That video is set to private chand.

chand

mobias

Been playing this game all weekend. Favourite thing so far is nicking a fighter jet and just flying at low level through the mountains and exploring the place. Need to get back into doing some missions again.

I've been reading round a few other gaming forums and so many people seem to think this is the game GTAIV should have been. I don't agree with that at all. GTA fans seem to be split into two schools of though now. Those who think the game should be more like this and Saints Row and those who think GTAIV was a real step in the right direction with its much more serious tone.

chand

It has too many flaws to be as enjoyable as GTA IV for me, and the shooting isn't as much fun. Still, I was one of the people that preferred GTA IV to Saint's Row 2.

There is some cool stuff in JC2 too though, was in a plane and found the Mile High Club, which is a funky floating nightclub suspended from hot air balloons.

Just Cause 2 Mile High Club Location 1080p

mobias

Quote from: chand on April 04, 2010, 11:19:15 PM

There is some cool stuff in JC2 too though, was in a plane and found the Mile High Club, which is a funky floating nightclub suspended from hot air balloons.

Just Cause 2 Mile High Club Location 1080p

Yeah I really like the Mile High Club, nice little touch. JC2 really excels in these cool little places to explore. Shame there are no interiors though and its a shame it all seems a bit lifeless. 

Have you started any of the main missions other than the first few you get given? I'm really struggling to get my Chaos meter high enough to start the next lot. Its only about half full at the moment and I'm kind of bored blowing up petrol stations. Do you know of any easy way to get lots of chaos points quickly?

falafel

Shit, this game is absolutely beautiful at times. Usually at sunset. Stunning.

Jim Jarmusch

Best fiver I've ever spent. Fucking love this game. So much more fun than GTA. The only thing it's missing is a decent storyline but it's is laughably bad dialogue is great.

Zero Punctuation named it their best game of 2010.

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: chand on April 04, 2010, 11:19:15 PM
It has too many flaws to be as enjoyable as GTA IV for me, and the shooting isn't as much fun. Still, I was one of the people that preferred GTA IV to Saint's Row 2

You were only awarded 5% of the game's trophies. I don't think you gave it enough time.

falafel

I agree with Yahtzee entirely. It's the one game I keep going back to. It shouldn't be as much fun as it is, and the flaws are hopelessly apparent but the proof is in the 50 hours I spent on it over the year, an extraordinary length of time for me.

Famous Mortimer

It's loads of fun, isn't it? I'm only about an hour into it, but there's tons of stupidly cool stuff you can do. It's a little awkward to control so far, but I'll keep at it and mess about in some small villages and get more used to the controls.

Jim Jarmusch

I've clocked in 72 hours having owned it for a week and a half. Still only 63% complete on experienced difficulty. A lot of yellow dots, undiscovered districts left on the map. I'll push for 75% and then quickly blast through unlocking the story missions on hardcore for a satisfying Platinum.

I think I completed both GTA IV and Red Dead 100% in less time.

mobias

I might try and get back into playing it. I got about half way through and got bored at the general repetition of the game play plus the game's considerable amount of flaws started to bug me. If the next GTA could have a combination of GTAIV's level of detail combined JC2's level of destructibility plus a game map about half the size of JC2 then I'd be a happy sand box gamer indeed.

Jim Jarmusch

The only memorable mission I can recall in GTA IV is the bank job. Just Cause 2 misses one defining set piece but it's 49 faction jobs are more varied than the countless times you're asked to perform a chauffeur service for Roman or p**i. Some of the helicopter battles and in later stages as you progress four choppers are summoned as air support have been intense. Reminded me of the days of Desert Strike on the SNES.

I can say theres been one time I've become bored and that's when looking for the last two remaining vehicles. Sailed around and flew over the ocean for some time now hunting the Orque living 42t and Orque Bon Ton. Visited every location guides suggest and no luck yet. It's nowhere near the tedious levels of collecting Pigeons or Wildflowers.

madhair60

To embellish upon a previous post, my experience with Just Cause 2 is on-and-off, but always beautiful.  I dip into Panau whenever I've got a half-hour to spare, and sometimes I play the missions, but mostly I just order a jet, hop in and fly over the island, pulling barrel rolls and marvelling at the gorgeous scenery.  The sense of freedom is immense, and it's all I ever wanted from a sandbox game.  I've had it for months and months and only completed three story missions for this reason - I'm distracted by the skies.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on January 21, 2011, 06:37:22 AM
The only memorable mission I can recall in GTA IV is the bank job. Just Cause 2 misses one defining set piece

I dunno - racing across a NASA-style compound so you can steal a jet and shoot a space rocket before it reaches the atmosphere ranked pretty highly for me.

mobias

Here's way I hate JC2. I started playing it this evening and after about an hour, during which I was frequently reminded how dreadful the vehicle physics and voice acting are I decided I was still having enough fun blowing things up to carry on. Out of curiosity I went into the Playstation store to see what downloadable packs are available for it. I was tempted by one of the packs which gives you a cool new fighter jet plus a new arsenal of weaponry. If JC2 does one thing right its blowing stuff up and the pack promised a veritable array of mean fucking weaponry. So parted with £1.59 of my hard earned money I did. I boot up the game and try and claim my cool new fighter jet only to discover it costs $100,000 dollars of my hard earned in game money to buy AGAIN! I don't have 100,000 fucking dollars so off on a few missions I go and finally make up the shortfall to buy my cool new fighter jet. So I order one up from that annoying cunt in his chopper and he drops it with its wings wrapped around a tree. Eventually I get it free after about 10 mins off faffing about, in which time it becomes massively damaged, and try and take off only to fly into a car during take off and bang goes my cool new fighter jet. What a pile of shit and now I don't have any in game money to buy and play with any of my mean fucking weaponry which I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!!!

All of that proves my biggest gripe about JC2. For a game that is supposedly purely about mindless fun it seems to go out of its way sometimes to make the mindless fun as difficult and as annoying as possible. At least Rockstar know their fanbase want mindless fun with GTA at times and so give you cheat codes to easily access it as and when you want. I think I'll go back to playing the Ballad of Gay Tony, its not the sand box equivalent of watching paint dry, which is what JC2 is half the time.       

Lt Plonker

Quote from: madhair60 on January 21, 2011, 12:13:19 PM
I'm distracted by the skies.

Have you tried flying above a storm yet? Bootiful. :D

Big Jack McBastard

I was going to have a stab at 100% on this but one of the communications tower areas glitched and got stuck on 66% despite my going over it again and again so I packed in at about 91% and finished off the missions, of which it turned out I'd done about 20%, so that was a nice surprise.

Dropping from a jet fighter at the highest altitude possible and managing to angle into one of them biogas spike/pit things miles below, firing my grapple at the floor at the last second[nb]Some dubious physics there but fun to play with, any time you're not able to get your chute open just aim at the floor and grapple it and you'll be sorted.[/nb] and being totally unharmed by the fall was at once completely unbelievable and totally fucking cool to pull off.

Oh and grappling onto the blades of the windmills and watching the world spin is fun too.

Of the DLC I'd recommend the parachute thrusters, they're incredibly useful.

madhair60

Quote from: Lt Plonker on January 21, 2011, 09:36:31 PM
Have you tried flying above a storm yet? Bootiful. :D

I don't think I've even seen a storm yet!