Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers)

Started by ozziechef, March 18, 2010, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Looks great, I think I'll enjoy this much more than the Eccleston era. Any news on the air date? The official site just says "later this year"

biggytitbo

non capisco

That is pretty exciting. Although the Dalek saying 'IT BEGINS!' made me smirk as it reminded me of Barney Gumble getting pissed on non-alcoholic champagne in 'Deep Space Homer'.

Can't wait for this.

Jemble Fred

Aw, who's handing out the psychotropic drugs that make this look more than just business as usual then? I want some!

Potentially good thing: use of Stonehenge. Can't see anything else to get excited about. Daleks & Cybermen & Angels, oh my!

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 20, 2010, 01:17:13 PM
April 3rd.

Thanks Biggy.

Just spotted a Weeping Angel at 0.21!

Right, how long before I develop a crush on Matt Smith then? I can feel my ovaries throbbing a tiny bit already.

chocky909

biggytitbo

Quote from: chocky909 on March 20, 2010, 05:26:34 PM
The sound mix on the trailer is awful.
I normally don't get the sound problems on Who but you're right about that, the bit matt says in the middle is inaudible. Can anyone hear what he says?

lipsink

Thank God that wasn't just me that couldn't hear what he says. I thought I was getting old!

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 20, 2010, 05:29:48 PM
I normally don't get the sound problems on Who but you're right about that, the bit matt says in the middle is inaudible. Can anyone hear what he says?

Which bit? I think I heard it all, but yes, the bombastic music is too loud and too bombastic. I usually like the scores but I was hoping they'd tone it down a bit for this series, lower the volume in parts and show a bit of restraint elsewhere.

non capisco

"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap....me."

Not very Doctor-ish! Sounds a bit like something Arnie might say.

Blue Jam

Yes, but I like this new violent, aggressive Doctor...

biggytitbo

I haven't got a problem with the music, its his voice in the mix that's far too low, so much so you can't hear what he says at all. Never experienced that problem on any other episode of new who before.

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2010, 05:36:29 PM
Yes, but I like this new violent, aggressive Doctor...

Oh, I have no problem with it! My favourite bit in the New Year trailer was when he lamps that Dalek and then pulls a shocked face.

lipsink

Quote from: non capisco on March 20, 2010, 05:35:56 PM
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap....me."

Not very Doctor-ish! Sounds a bit like something Arnie might say.

That sounds quite Tenth Doctor-ish to me. He says similar stuff in 'Family of Blood' and 'Forest of the Dead'.

non capisco

Yeah, I suppose. It's the 'if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow' bit that sounds a bit more 'you ain't got the minerals, son'.

Talulah, really!

"This is what I do every time, every day, every second, this."
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if you are smart. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap . Me."

(2nd bit sounds editted from different sources and badly mixed)

Spot the Tardis console with the gramaphone horn growing out it at about 20secs and of course the Doctor taking a quick peek up Amy's nightdress, the sly dog.

Bingo Fury

Tee hee - as someone on Digital Spy has pointed out,
Spoiler alert
the Dalek has dinky little blackout hoods on its dome-lights!
[close]

I so want to hear them saying "Put that bloody light out".

eluc55

Re: the special effects.

I agree it has a different look, almost more artificial; are they using models for the rooftop shots of London, the mountain-side of Angels and the futuristic city shot at 6 seconds in? Not sure how it will tranlate in the series proper, but for the fleeting shots in this trailer it looks great - very distinctive - and visually quite different from the RTD era. Made me think a bit of Gilliams Brazil, wierdly.

re: it looks like more crash bang wallop of the RTD variety...

Thank god. There are many problems with RTD era Who, but the balance of action and character led drama was not one of them. If anything, thats the reason I found the trailer so encouraging.   

biggytitbo

Be interesting to see how it stacks up in HD. Apparently there's a ton more location filming in series 5 because its cheaper than constructing sets that stand up to scrutiny at 1080p. Same reason they went to Dubai for the stupid bus episode too.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: eluc55 on March 20, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
Made me think a bit of Gilliams Brazil, wierdly.

More like the Doctor looking at Gillan's Brazilian, weirdly.

biggytitbo

Talulah, really!

It's actually pivotal to the plot as the spitfires in space will need to refuel and so need a distinctive (h)airstrip to land on!

Blue Jam

Quote from: lipsink on March 20, 2010, 05:38:56 PM
That sounds quite Tenth Doctor-ish to me. He says similar stuff in 'Family of Blood' and 'Forest of the Dead'.

Yes, like the "Lord of Time" bit, and even perhaps "Timelord Victorious".

Quote from: non capisco on March 20, 2010, 05:38:28 PM
Oh, I have no problem with it! My favourite bit in the New Year trailer was when he lamps that Dalek and then pulls a shocked face.

Mine too... oh hell yes.

Rev

Quote from: Jemble Fred on March 20, 2010, 05:10:33 PM
Aw, who's handing out the psychotropic drugs that make this look more than just business as usual then? I want some!

I'm relieved that it looks like business as usual, and for that reason it's exciting.  I had a horrible feeling that RTD would be taking the bathwater with him.

I'd agree with others that it does have a curious look of being done on the cheap, though, as far as it's possible to form an impression of such things from smashy-smashy fast-cut trailers.  HD learning curve, budget consideration, or deliberate stylistic move?  Fuck it, as long as the stories are half-decent, who cares?

Cambrian Times

Sivead

Wow that's much better than the UK trailer. Makes the series look a lot spookier. Great stuff.

non capisco

I liked the conversation with the kid about monsters. Smith sounds quite Patrick Troughton on that first bit of voiceover.

lipsink

Quote from: non capisco on March 21, 2010, 11:37:21 AM
Smith sounds quite Patrick Troughton on that first bit of voiceover.

Yeah, his voice sounds great on the "Secrets and shadows..." bit too. That's a much better trailer than the most recent UK one. They're all not as good as the one posted on the BBC website on New Year's Day though. That one felt more 'official' or 'real' than all of these ones.

gloria

Heh heh.  There's something really funny about hearing the name of the show in that generic American trailer voiceover.  "Dacta Whoo!"