Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers)

Started by ozziechef, March 18, 2010, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 22, 2010, 07:52:34 AM
There might be a smattering of them in the deleted scenes I suppose, like previous box sets. Sadly it'll probbaly be too expensive to make them broadcast quality and reedit them back into the main episodes.
Yeah, it WON'T happen I'm sure. Interesting this year they have kept commentaries back for the boxed sets (hopefully properly organised, moderated and with some level of continuity through the series) and are shooting extra material.

These days when people can record perfectly good versions of the shows from TV it seems essential that they provide some added value, as the new series sets have been woeful in that department.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 21, 2010, 08:57:34 PM
Speaking of which, you can now buy Matt's sonic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003FHXMDC/

Some of the reviews for that are really funny. This incredibly long winded one is my favourite.

A Very Faithful And Fun Version of the On-Screen Counterpart, But Somewhat Lacking In Build Quality
By  Master Samuel Baker "Variasam2"

After reading all of the negative reviews for this product, I was very nearly put off buying it altogether. But, due to my undying love of the series, I couldn't resist taking the plunge.

I've been playing around with it for a couple of hours, and I must say, I'm quite impressed with it.

Upon unpacking it, I realised just how much larger this new version was compared to the previous iterations of the Sonic Screwdriver. Not that this is a bad thing, it has a much better weight and shape to it, far more suited to the human hand. It's far less likely to drop, because you'll never forget it's there. It's not pocket-sized by a longshot, which could pose a slight problem to Doctor Who obsessives that like to take their Screwdrivers around with them. But the extra size adds a certain impressiveness to it.

Now, first gripe. The Sonic Screwdriver toys have NEVER been easy to dismantle and power up. This one is no exception. In fact, it's probably the fiddliest to set up. The manual states that you must "twist the emitter one-tenth anticlockwise, then pull the emitter away from the handle". Due to its nature as a toy, I was very anxious about twisting or turning any components for fear of breaking it. But eventually I managed to get the batteries in fine. This version takes the most batteries out of them all so far, requiring 3 of those little watch batteries rather than 2.

Reassembled, I took some more time to get to grips with the Screwdriver. Now, these toys have never been of high build quality, they've mainly been 'just so'. Due to the enlarged and stretched profile of this iteration, that fact becomes far more apparent. The prongs, or 'claw' at the end of the device feel quite breakable (hence the difficulty in assembling and disassembling it), and the somewhat hollow handle feels very plastic-y. Not a major problem, but it feels less natural than its predecessors.

The tip of the device lights up with a bright green hue. Gone is the ultra-violet functionality of the original Screwdriver, but that doesn't detract from its list of features. Another feature that remains with this toy is the extendible head. However, this version is spring-locked and shoots out at a considerable velocity. I daresay it even feels quite powerful. As the device extends, the 'claw' at the end opens up, giving further prominence to the green light. Below the 'Extend' button is a switch that activates the light and signature 'whirring' sound. However, this button WILL NOT work whilst the device is extended. For when it is extended, you can either press a small black button on the battery column (which is very fiddly and probably not intended for actual use), or a 'hidden' red button at the end of the device. There is a tip on a hinge that will swing away to reveal this button. Despite this seemingly pointless design choice, it'd probably be fun for kids.

There are four different sounds this time around, all of which are unique in their own way. The activate button has a slight delay to it, thereby allowing multiple presses to utilize the different sounds. One press will emit a standard whirring noise, three presses will cause an 'alarm' sound to begin, accompanied with alternating flashes of light from the tip (presumably, this is utilized somewhere later in the New Series, but I haven't seen it). Four presses will make the device appear faulty, as if damaged (which also probably appears later in the Series). Overall, the sounds will be enough to sate a demanding Whovian, despite the delay and slightly muffled tone of some.

Mostly, I'm pretty satisfied with the Screwdriver. Despite some of its build faults and niggles, it's a genuinely fun toy to play with, regardless of how old a Whovian you are. Although I'm certain that someone will eventually have someone's eye out with the rapid Extend feature, it's a whole lot of fun. I disagree with most of the negativity associated with the Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver, as I've encountered little to no technical issues whatsoever (although I may in the future, we'll see). But overall, a reccomended buy!

And this also made me chuckle:

QuoteSonic Screwdriver (Dr. no. 11)
By  Peter Wicks "Big Cherry" (Wiltshire, UK)

My wife loves it! I'm disappointed it's essentially plastic, but it looks good & will be great fun when meeting friends. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Nicky Wire is writing a Doctor Who episode featuring Dylan Thomas.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a248594/wire-tries-to-pen-doctor-who-script.html

No one has actually asked him to do this, mind. So, errm, good luck Nicky.

Cerys

You never know.  It might be stunningly good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It could well be, it's just that given his lack of experience as a TV writer, I doubt it will ever get past the commissioning stage. I could be entirely wrong of course. Also, didn't he try to write an episode of Cracker a  few years back? Maybe he just likes writing episodes of his favourite TV programmes entirely for his own amusement.

biggytitbo

Thing is the Doctor Who office does not take submissions, they won't read them, they won't open them and all such submissions go straight into the bin. Invite only, so its never going to happen Nicky baby.

boxofslice

A reminder that the BBC Doctor Who Prom is broadcast live on Radio 3 tonight at 7.30pm.  The event is being hosted by Matt, Karen and Arthur and will feature musical excerpts from the recent series as well as classics like Holst's Mars -The Bringer of War and Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.  It's being filmed for BBC Three apparently but no transmission date as yet.

purlieu

My friend is going and has been filling my Twitter feed with Who Prom related squee for about a week now. :(

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: boxofslice on July 24, 2010, 09:17:47 AMA reminder that the BBC Doctor Who Prom is broadcast live on Radio 3 tonight at 7.30pm...

Thanks very much for the heads-up.  For those of us who want to record it, it's scheduled to finish at 9.45pm.  There's a 20-minute interval from 8.20pm to 8.40pm during which:

Quote from: www.radiotimes.comMatthew Sweet, who has been a fan of Doctor Who for many years, time-travels through the programme's 47-year history to investigate the weird and wonderful soundworld of its incidental music. He talks to some of the composers who have contributed, in very different musical styles, to the drama's enduring success.

Sounds great, thank you so much again for mentioning this!

lipsink

I wonder if Karen will fiddle herself. Heh.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: lipsink on July 24, 2010, 11:53:48 AM
I wonder if Karen will fiddle herself. Heh.
<cut out comedy objects and stick to cardboard>

Skin flute, pink oboe, hairy banjo, tromboning...

<insert off-colour joke here>.

Cerys

Bassood.

Spoiler alert
... I'll get me coat.
[close]

lipsink

They just showed a bit of the Doctor Who BBC Prom on BBC Breakfast with a wee interview with Smith, Murray Gold and the conductor. Looked bloody great, with Cybermen and the vampires girls onstage. I hope they put it on the boxset. Reminded me of how great the music was for Series 5.

Dark Sky

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on July 22, 2010, 05:27:54 PM
Yeah, it WON'T happen I'm sure. Interesting this year they have kept commentaries back for the boxed sets (hopefully properly organised, moderated and with some level of continuity through the series) and are shooting extra material.

The whole lack of podcasts this year has been a bit worrying, especially considering the Specials boxset only had commentaries on two of the five episodes (the first live action TV Doctor Who DVD release since the original Five Doctors in 1999 to not have commentaries on every episode).  I presume the lack of podcast commentaries has been due to lack of money to do them, as they are expensive to do...and I wonder how much money BBC Online pumped into the computer games.

So hoping there are actually commentaries on the DVD boxset.  Presume there are going to be.