Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

God of War 3 [split topic]

Started by chand, March 20, 2010, 01:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

This morning I've been playing God Of War III, it's fucking amazing. The opening half hour is as epic as anything I've played in a game.

mobias

Has anyone here got God of War 3? I've been reading rave reviews of it that say it surpasses Uncharted 2 in terms of production values. I'm tempted to get it but I'm not sure how into that whole RPG, dungeon and dragons type sort of game I am.

edit. Cheers Chand, we posted at the same time. I'm very tempted now

Little Hoover

God of War 3 is an action game, a violent, bloody button bashing action game, not an RPG at all. I'm going to wait a while before getting, as far as I can tell, it's just a high-res expansion pack to the first two games.

chand

Quote from: Little Hoover on March 20, 2010, 01:28:45 PM
God of War 3 is an action game, a violent, bloody button bashing action game, not an RPG at all. I'm going to wait a while before getting, as far as I can tell, it's just a high-res expansion pack to the first two games.

If you liked the first two games you'll like the third, it's like the other two but ona grander scale.

But yeah, it's heavy on the action, there are puzzles and while some of them are quite clever the ones I've come across so far haven't been quite as time-consuming as some of the ones in GOWII. It's nothing like an RPG, it's just satisfying fighting and huge set pieces. The opening sees you fighting on the back of Gaia as she climbs Mount Olympus, and then you fight Poseidon and his big fucking horse made of water while on her back.

biggytitbo

This sounds good, but I'm really not s fan of sword and sorcery type stuff. If it was set in contemporary Leeds I'd be there.

mobias

This game does look fucking amazing but I still can't decide whether not to buy it, what with the GTA extension packs about to come out.

God of War 3 - Kratos vs Cronos Boss Battle Pt 1 (HD 720p)

chand

Quote from: mobias on March 22, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
This game does look fucking amazing but I still can't decide whether not to buy it, what with the GTA extension packs about to come out.

GTA pack's been put back a couple of weeks to April 13th, although I suppose that's not long to wait.

This is great though, that Cronos part I've just done and was fantastic, there's been some ridiculously brutal bits including a boss battle which ends with pounding the circle button to viscerally smash the guy's head in on the floor until it graphically caves in.

The one thing people seem to be saying negatively is that the difference in difficulty between normal and hard is too great. Personally I'm finding normal difficulty about right, though I've died less frequently than I and II, but there seem to be a lot of people who started on hard, found it too much and restarted on normal only to find it not challenging enough.

It does have a few of the minor niggles of the previous games like the fact that it gives you new weapons which never seem quite as useful as your initial set of blades once you level them up, but overall it's fantastic, the sense of scale is ridiculous and the core gameplay is as satisfying as it's always been.

Pseudopath

I just finished this tonight. Every moment was sublime (although even I winced at some of the finishing moves - Kratos is one cold-blooded mofo).

I seem to have missed a load of chests and godly possessions, so I'll be jumping straight back on Gaia without delay.