Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing things because of movies

Started by keith bland, March 20, 2010, 06:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith bland

Hello.

Have any of you have ever done something in your life because you saw someone in a movie do it or something? I have done things in my life because of things I saw in movies like one time I cut some of my fringe off and glued it to my face to make it look like I had a moustache. I can't remember what movie influenced me to do that though because I was only about six or seven at the time. And also at school I had my watch confiscated because I was always talking into it in assemblies and things after I saw Dick Tracy. And of course there was that whole crazy phase where I tried to travel through time because of the Back To The Future movies but I've already talked about that on this website. And also there was this guy who used to live around here called either Daniel Thomas or Daniel Taylor and anyway he actually beat himself up in a pub car park because of Fight Club.

Keith

mobias

I once spunked in my girlfriends face. That was purely because of having seen it done in a movie.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I drink White Russians because of The Big Lebowski. Ironically though, considering how poor the Dude is, it's rather expensive so I don't drink them often.

biggytitbo

Quote from: mobias on March 20, 2010, 06:34:28 PM
I once spunked in my girlfriends face. That was purely because of having seen it done in a movie.
That was from Earnest goes to Camp wasnt it?

I remember back in '94 after watching Schindler's List, I went out and systematically exterminated all the jews.

boxofslice

I'm currently attaching helium balloons to my house.

Small Man Big Horse

Because of Heathers I wore a long dark coat throughout most of my sixth form college years, no matter how hot the weather was. And yet I never attracted a Winona Ryder lookalike. That might be due to the horrendous amounts of sweat I created though.

Johnny Townmouse

I went on holiday with a mate to the middle of nowhere in Wales with tons of drugs and booze. It all got too close for comfort when we went into what looked like a lovely thatched roof pub, but was actually an incredibly local farmer's pub full of people who shoot bolts into the heads of cows for a living. My mate ordered a pair of gins, and the Landlord informed us that these would be our "only drink tonight lads, once some of this lot have had their fill, they'll think nothing of glassing ya for a laff."
He was actually helping us. The fastest gin and tonic I have ever drunk.

Mr Colossal

I've noticed this very thing creeping INTO movies.  Its sort of like begun as subtle product-placement.  Almost like America had begun an indoctrination campaign to rekindle some of its greatest exports so we see things like the ford mustang in Transformers and the Gran Torino.

But after watching Be Kind Rewind, i've noticed an element of the 'indie homage' creeping in stylistically...  a perfect recent example would be Woody Harrelson recreating the Ghostbusters scene with hoovers at Bill Murrays in zombieland. I dont know if I like it, even though I LIKE ghostbusters, it feels like im being forcibly told to by my television under the glossy veneer of entertainment and can feel the opposition of repulsion.

I went out and  'lost myself' screaming into a cavern after watching Garden State.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mr Colossal on March 20, 2010, 07:25:29 PM

I went out and  'lost myself' screaming into a cavern after watching Garden State.

Speaking of that film, I would tell a Natalie Portman-lookalike I "really like" a song she played me for five seconds, if it meant getting taken back to her quirky house, purely because it worked for that bloke off Scrubs.

the hum

I took up guitar after seeing Buddy's Song.  Hideous but true.

Cambrian Times

Did you grow an unsightly mole as well?

the hum

Quote from: Cambrian Times on March 20, 2010, 08:26:47 PM
Did you grow an unsightly mole as well?

No, I did have a no.1 hit though, only to disappear back into obscurity immediately afterwards.