Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The GTA Thread

Started by mobias, March 22, 2010, 11:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

So why is mine so balls then? I'm running 4gig of RAM and it's still impossible to drive a car at any speed. :-(

Cold Meat Platter

What graphics hardware is in your rig Rudi? Is it a discrete card or built into the motherboard? No matter how much RAM or CPU power you have if the graphics card isn't up to it it's going to be a slideshow.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: rudi on May 23, 2010, 10:16:31 AM
So why is mine so balls then? I'm running 4gig of RAM and it's still impossible to drive a car at any speed. :-(
Rudi, my PC is magnificent and does not play GTA IV. It's not that your PC is shit, it's that the game is fucking awfully made and doesn't run well even on very good hardware. The constant stuttering and frame rate problems caused me to only get about a third of the way through the game and give up forever, fuck it you know.

rudi

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 23, 2010, 12:46:02 PM
What graphics hardware is in your rig Rudi? Is it a discrete card or built into the motherboard? No matter how much RAM or CPU power you have if the graphics card isn't up to it it's going to be a slideshow.

msi N8400GS, fully updated as far as I can ascertain.

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on May 23, 2010, 06:30:58 PM
Rudi, my PC is magnificent and does not play GTA IV. It's not that your PC is shit, it's that the game is fucking awfully made and doesn't run well even on very good hardware. The constant stuttering and frame rate problems caused me to only get about a third of the way through the game and give up forever, fuck it you know.

I'm beginning to think this is the case. Does that mean RDR will be exactly the same then? Sigh. What enormo game can I play on my shiny new toy then? I'm trying to stop going out so often (my liver is ever so poorly) so I thought a big PC game should keep me indoors. FML and fuck Rockstar Games...

falafel

Sadly an 8400GS isn't going to give you much mileage either way. I had a 9400GT up until a couple of months ago and it was great for anything up to a couple of years old and perfect for HTPC purposes, but playing something like Mass Effect for example meant winding the settings way down and shoving it on a pretty low resolution. I can only assume an 8400 will be less powerful than that. If you want to play contemporary games at a decent framerate you will sadly need a different card, I reckon. My Radeon 5750 is serving me well.

Uncle TechTip

Sorry T&C, that's not true. You do need a modern computer but I built one for 400 notes six months ago and it plays fine. As pointed out it's all about the graphics card. But 50 quid will get you an adequate example. Rudi I have a 9500 GT so you might consider an upgrade - 1GB of video RAM if poss.

rudi

I've got it working now. :-) Thanks for your help, fellow stay-indoors-on-a-bright-sunny-day-losers. x

Madison

Just finished Ballad of Gay Tony. What a fantastic game. The last level
Spoiler alert
is nice and easy after the bastard of 'party's over', and a brilliant laugh, hurray for Omid Djallili
[close]

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but
Spoiler alert
the loyalty to Tony is especially pleasing - you wonder how many horrible little homophobic 'this is well gay lol' gamers learned to love being the henchman of a screaming homo.
[close]