Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inspiration (in strange places)

Started by alan nagsworth, March 23, 2010, 09:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I was listening to Kool Keith recently (because he's amazing, obviously) and I couldn't help noticing that his approach to his art is very similar to that of William Burroughs, and I'd definitely say Keith was directly inspired by it.

The weird, disjointed flow of analogies and surreal, science-fictional wordplay is a big hint, and also the totally unashamed and unrelenting force of vulgar scenarios seeming almost lucid and beautiful to behold. For example, in 'Naked Lunch' Burroughs frequently delves into unknown realms of sado-masochism and graphic sexual intercourse; whereas Keith, on 'Dr. Octegonocologyst', paints a scene of a cross-dressing male pretending to be a gynecologist and then forcibly raping a patient (this is portrayed by DJ Qbert scratching a sample of a woman screaming after the man stops putting on a fake female voice and asks, "okay, like a cock???").

DJ Q Bert - A visit to the Gynecologyst (Dr Octagon 1996)

Also check the lyrics on this bad boy:

Dr. Octagon - Waiting List

Do you often listen to music and suddenly strike a comparison to something that is much more than just a 'Similar Artist' listing on Last.fm? Thoughts please!

Eels - Last Stop This Town

Some nice moments, but completely to the detriment of the lyrics. I'm willing to bet this is what E had in mind:

Banks- Mary Poppins songs