Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Violent videogames get a one sided mauling courtesy of Alan Titchmarsh [split topic]

Started by j_u_d_a_s, March 22, 2010, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, likewise, there are plenty of films that normalise/glorify gangland behaviour. Films and games are both subject to BBFC classification and someone really needs to point this out to the tabloid press.

My current war game Hearts of Iron III involves blithely ordering hundreds of thousands of men into armed combat across Europe, the death toll of merely nominal relevance. That game is marked as suitable for 3 years and above. Ban this sick filth, etc.

Consignia

Games aren't subject to the BBFC any more, they are now exclusively rated by PEGI. I don't know about now, but they used to employ a self-certification type of deal, so perhaps not subject to as stringent a rules as the BBFC. I think that PEGI ratings are legally enforceable now, though, whereas before they were just guidance.

Rev

Quote from: Consignia on April 03, 2010, 12:12:04 PM
Games aren't subject to the BBFC any more, they are now exclusively rated by PEGI.

Someone really needs to tell the BBFC if that's the case, as they're still happily rating away.

Consignia

Quote from: Rev on April 03, 2010, 07:54:22 PM
Someone really needs to tell the BBFC if that's the case, as they're still happily rating away.

I guess that some publishers want the recognition of a BBFC badge, so seek certification. It's no longer a requirement though. As I said earlier though, the government want everyone to go through PEGI now, and the BBFC weren't too chuffed at the decision.

Still Not George

Quote from: Rev on April 03, 2010, 07:54:22 PM
Only a few since PEGI was adopted by the Government, and in most such cases the publishers asked for and received a younger rating as PEGI is more stringent than the BBFC's requirements.

Oh, and PEGI isn't "self-certification" in the sense that the developers/publishers certify themselves, it's self-certification in the sense that the industry clubs together to fund an independent monitor which checks the games before the license is received.

wasp_f15ting

They had Justine by Marquis De Sade at the front of charity shop for free. A child could have picked that up... lets ban all these charity shops!

This generation will never be convinced of gaming. Even at work the other day people were mocking me when I had a copy of God of war 3 on my table. Thing is.. who gives a fuck. The industry is worth more than the movie industry, more than the music industry. With the extra money being pumped into gaming this year we don't have much to worry about. This is one industry which will weather the storm.

hoverdonkey

There's a bloke at work who, whenever an advert for a game comes on the telly, proudly declares 'Anyone who still plays games in their 30s needs to get a fucking life' to general agreement and acclaim. It's so fucking tiresome and yet I, as a married man of 34 with a two-year-old, am made to feel the immature one by this prick, who spends all his free-time in the gym and chugging down all sorts of steroids to feed his 'guns'.

Yet any argument you make in defence of games is dismissed by ridiculously outdated put-downs.

'Read a book,' they say, as if that's got anything to do with it.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: hoverdonkey on April 04, 2010, 02:32:36 PM
There's a bloke at work who, whenever an advert for a game comes on the telly, proudly declares 'Anyone who still plays games in their 30s needs to get a fucking life' to general agreement and acclaim. It's so fucking tiresome and yet I, as a married man of 34 with a two-year-old, am made to feel the immature one by this prick, who spends all his free-time in the gym and chugging down all sorts of steroids to feed his 'guns'.

Yet any argument you make in defence of games is dismissed by ridiculously outdated put-downs.

'Read a book,' they say, as if that's got anything to do with it.

I think its partly jealousy It must be. A lot of us have got muscle memory which none of this toss pots will ever develop without investing a lot of time into gaming. I think this is a vital point that seems to be missed by the commentators on gaming. You see I went bowling the other day with work colleagues. I score really badly.. this is due to me NEVER having gone bowling before. My muscles don't have any attributed memory to this public pass time. So I got wankered on Jim Bean and started shouting a lot to make it bearable.

Now, when it comes to gaming unless you picked up a pad at an early age you will not have muscular memory to play any complicated game. Using analogue sticks, hitting multiple buttons and coordinating what happens on screen with your hand will be overwhelming, this is enough to put off any new comer, unless the use the wii pot. This is partly the reason why these cunts make such silly claims, they cannot invest the time to understand game mechanics and games control. As such they will moan and moan about how pointless gaming is, much like me moaning about what a dull and pointless activity bowling is.

hummingofevil

To censors.

Question 1: Have you actually seen/experienced the thing you want censored?

Answers: If NO go to A; if YES go to Question 2.

Question 2: Has the act of watching or experiencing this video game/movie/whatever induced unsettling thoughts in your head? For example, do you now want to ACTUALLY machine gun zombies or fire green shells at passing cars?

Answers: If YES go to B; if NO go to Question 3. 

Question 3: Do you believe that it is your duty to protect other people from this corrupting material (that you have seen and not been corrupted by)?

Answers: If YES go to C; if NO go to D.

A: Go fuck yourself!

B: You are a fucking mentalist. Go fuck yourself!

C: The logic of your arguments is fucked. You think that you are morally superior. Go fuck yourself!

D: You are a massive pussy. See above.