Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jega, The Gasman and other lovely electronica

Started by alan nagsworth, March 24, 2010, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Just having a listen to 'Geometry' by Jega, and was previously checking out a couple of The Gasman's records, and it's really good stuff. Quite obviously inspired by Aphex Twin but with a significantly more glitchy, digital feel to it. Nevertheless the melodies are often very beautiful and, especially in The Gasman's case of making tunes without drum samples and simply chopping up orchestrations to weird effect, really quite moving.

Anyone else digging this stuff? And what other artists of a similar ilk are your personal favourites? I'm aware that a hell of a lot of this stuff originates from Planet Mu but the list can't stop there!

Jega - Geometry

The Gasman - Imodium

Neville Chamberlain

I love The Gasman - aka Christopher Reeves - and he was shuffled up on my iPod only yesterday. First saw him a few years ago supporting Cardiacs and he made a wonderful noise indeed.

Max Tundra's another fine artist too! I can hardly stop listening to him either.

alan nagsworth

I had 'Love Collection' for a while but never really got into it, and then I saw an interview with him on the extras of the 'Ideal: Series 4' DVD (as his tune 'Gash 2' was used in the show) and suddenly his methods and techniques all made sense and I really started digging his stuff. He makes something ridiculous like 30 tracks a month, which probably explains why some of his albums are 2-disc affairs. Prolific as fuck! And he sort of works in a spontaneous prose of letting tunes unfold and dictate the mood as it comes to him, so they sometimes veer off into nightmares or bloom from cold minimalism to spacious and sporadic beats. He's a fookin' badman.

Anyone ever heard Dykehouse?

Dykehouse - Tauq 2

Or how about stripping down the sound a bit more and having a bit of E*Vax? He's one half of the excellent Ratatat, don'chaknow!

E*Vax - We Believe In Broken Bones

alan nagsworth

Ambulance - Hymn

Flippin' gorgeous song. And if you like that you should also check out the rare Xploding Plastix record 'The Donca Matic Singalongs'... If you can't find it don't be afraid to ask...