Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pride and Prejudice...and Zombies.

Started by VegaLA, March 25, 2010, 02:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

I hereby apologise for having accidentally invented this meme about 10 years ago.

You're gonna have to explain that one Georgie.

Still Not George

I'm exaggerating a little. I actually came up with "Jane Austen's Aliens", about 5 years ago, after misreading a thread on another forum about "Jake West's Evil Aliens". Then some cunt made it into a musical and I've been trying to get royalties out of them ever since.

I still say "Chestburster Abbey" was the best title we came up with.

Jemble Fred

Oh god I despise this fad. Once would have been quirky toss, easy to ignore and harmless, but this has become an industry in its own right. In fact, not just this, but any 'cwazy' play on Jane Austen can fuck off, including that ITV time travelling series and this handheld cam thing with Lily Allen and Stephen Fry.

I even forced myself to read one of these – the zombie A Christmas Carol, 'I Am Scrooge' which came out last Xmas. It could well be the single worst bit of writing I've ever read through to the end. It's not just the lameness of the concept or the way that none of the plot held together, but far worse was the endless self-congratulatory crowbarring in of appalling jokes. And this was written by a Professor of Literature?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Jemble Fred on March 25, 2010, 12:29:31 PMthe zombie A Christmas Carol, 'I Am Scrooge'

Let me guess:

"Marley was undead to begin with". 

Jemble Fred

That's about the size of it. I can't begin to communicate how lame it was throughout, its humour made the likes of Tittybangbang look like Not Only But Also. And it was so self-satisfied all the way through, like the 'author' had had the greatest idea ever and weren't we all lucky to be sharing it with him? ARRRGH!

TotalNightmare

This whole fad has bored and angered me in equal measure - its even become a part of my stand up act.

The whole notion of these book's success is based on a one line pitch (and spurned on by Bored of the Ring or Harry Plopper - or whatever its called) that exhausts it humour by the end of the sentence.

As a result, please look upon my ideas for books of this ilk below and tell me which one i should have a bash at writing and then get turned into a movie with Natalie Portman!!!

Ahem
Seance and Seanceability
Bleak House on Haunted Hill
Schindler's Mist
The Mansfield Park Chainsaw Massacre
Raptor in the Rye
Lady Chatterly's Monster
The Diary of Anne Frankenstein.

The Widow of Brid

As Still Not George will hopefully back me up on it actually started as a LARP fad in the late nineties/turn of the century, and as gaming conceit it generally works well and they're quite fun.  Particularly as they're often played achingly straight.

The books are usually gash though.

Still Not George

LRP rather than LARP, there's precious little fighting in these things. Generally played at conventions.

The Widow of Brid

Fair enough, I'm used to just using LARP to refer to anything other than tabletop gaming.

boki

It's 'Advice Dog Of The Baskervilles' that I'm really dreading.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Still Not George on March 25, 2010, 12:21:16 PM
I'm exaggerating a little. I actually came up with "Jane Austen's Aliens", about 5 years ago, after misreading a thread on another forum about "Jake West's Evil Aliens". Then some cunt made it into a musical and I've been trying to get royalties out of them ever since.

But weren't you predated by spoof movie Jane Austin's Mafia!? If so I guess this is all Jim Abrahams fault

Paaaaul

A friend lent me I Am Scrooge last week and I can't disagree with Jem- one of the worst things that has ever been published. Rubbish on every level. I believe the first line was "Marley was dead to begin with"