Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kick-Ass

Started by CaledonianGonzo, March 26, 2010, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

If not quite as good a movie as some people are proclaiming it, there's not really a lot wrong with it either.

I was watching it chiefly to see if I could spot Glen Michael's cameo, but sadly I missed it.

vrailaine

It's out? Might go see it, people are really going nuts over it. Was it hyped during production at all?

wherearethespoons

Aren't everyone raving about it because they are friends with the creators? Jonathan Ross plugging it to shit on the BBC and that. Bunch of fucking cunts.

CaledonianGonzo

It's previewing all weekend - at least, it is in the UK.

Can't remember where or when I first heard about it, but it was months and months ago.

Edit:  I wouldn't go all ravey over it, but it's a good-clean-fun bit of straightforward entertainment.

biggytitbo

The clip I've seen amused me immensely - a 12 year old girl saying 'OK, you cunts, let's see what you can do'.

And that really upset the Daily Mail...so result!

phes

It's succeded in making me pine after Freaks and Geeks, so it's probably on a hiding to nothing in my tiny mind.

Father O`Blivion

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 26, 2010, 08:48:33 PM
I was watching it chiefly to see if I could spot Glen Michael's cameo, but sadly I missed it.
His scene('s) ended up on the cutting room floor because they 'decided to take the film in a different direction'.

Reading between the lines I think they quickly realised that what they were dealing with was a very elderly man who's only real acting experience was a couple of TV soap walk on parts 50 odd years ago.

CaledonianGonzo

I was picturing him filling the role Stan Lee has been filling in recent Marvel productions rather than anything more meaty.  Perhaps indulging in a bit of lighthearted plot-related banter with his sidekick.  Who was a lamp.

I do find Miller's devotion touching, though - I definitely hear where he's coming from:

Quote from: Mark MillarGlen was the catalyst who linked Coatbridge and Gotham City.  He brought these guys into my living room every Sunday.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article4925643.ece

Anyway, the 'The Coon' episode of South Park covers similar territory to Kick-Ass in more amusing (if less dramatic) fashion.

LotusFlow3r

It's absolutely awful.

More American shit tbh.

As CaledonianGonzo said, that South Park episode did it waaaaay better.

CaledonianGonzo

LotusFlow3r

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 27, 2010, 03:08:12 PM
It's a British movie.

I have no idea about the credits or what not but, british people or not.....who british says "kick-ass"? unless you're a student going up at the end of your sentences like everything is a question!

Either way, its an American oriented movie, set in America with American characters so, i may aswell call it American and it's awful.

The trailer alone is sickening.

Another victim of the twitch generation.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: LotusFlow3r on March 27, 2010, 05:02:18 PM
who british says "kick-ass"?

Lots of people I know of. I call them twats.

El Unicornio, mang

'Kick-Arse' wouldn't really sound right. Although I was watching the American Withnail & I blu-ray and had the subtitles on and they put the bit where he says "I'm utterly arseholed" as "I'm utterly assholed", which looked all kinds of wrong.

biggytitbo

Does the word 'arse' not exist in America?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 27, 2010, 05:30:22 PM
'Kick-Arse' wouldn't really sound right.

I recall at the height of it's popularity many of my mates would refer to Jackass as 'Jackarse', as some defiant gesture against Americanisation, while blissfully unaware that in doing so they were in fact mangling the English language by overlooking the origin of the word 'ass'. 

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: LotusFlow3r on March 27, 2010, 05:02:18 PMI have no idea about the credits or what not but, british people or not.....who british says "kick-ass"? unless you're a student going up at the end of your sentences like everything is a question!

Either way, its an American oriented movie, set in America with American characters so, i may aswell call it American and it's awful.

The trailer alone is sickening.

Another victim of the twitch generation.

Sickening?  Good grief. 

Do the Americans use the term 'Red Mist', one wonders.

Predictably, across town:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1254384/Jonathan-Rosss-wife-Jane-Goldman-causes-outrage-film-featuring-foul-mouthed-11-year-old-assassin.html

George Oscar Bluth II

It's pure entertainment. Really enjoyable, if a little empty.

And an 11 year old girl says the word 'cunt' before
Spoiler alert
chopping a load of bad guys up.
[close]
I recommend it.

Whug Baspin

I went to see this on Friday, hadn't heard anything about it. Really really loved it. I haven't had that sense of fun in a cinema for a very long time. Genuinely subversive idea too, all done with an amazing flair. Mark Strong is so damn good in this, there's not really a bad performance in the film.

phes

As above ^^^ just a really fun cinema trip. Maybe the film is 15 mins too long with a few patches along the way but otherwise it's ace. Great killlings.

Could've done without OH LOOK IT'S THE NICHOLAS CAGE CHARACTER though. How does he get so much work, he's just so AVERAGE.

vrailaine

Quote from: phes on March 28, 2010, 10:47:01 PM
As above ^^^ just a really fun cinema trip. Maybe the film is 15 mins too long with a few patches along the way but otherwise it's ace. Great killlings.

Could've done without OH LOOK IT'S THE NICHOLAS CAGE CHARACTER though. How does he get so much work, he's just so AVERAGE.
Cage is brilliant; Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Bad Lieutenant, Face|Off, Raising Arizona, Red Rock West, The Rock, Matchstick Men, Birdy...

The problem is that he seems to do about 30 awful films a year.

phes

I had to turn matchstick men off before I cringed myself into a stupor - he was awful. I'll give you The Rock' , only because it's a terrific all-rounder, but 'Face off'?

I haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas yet though.

gmoney

I thought it was a steaming pile (Leaving Las Vegas that is), not helped by Nic Cage's hammy drunk acting. He is good in Razing Arizona, Adaptation and Wild at Heart though. And Con Air.

thomasina

Isaw the posters for this and thought it looked shit.  Then the Daily Mail brought up the sweary violent little girl and my interest has been piqued.

phes

Yes it's worth it for that alone. I'm not really sure what kind of movie it was and that took me by surprise. IMDb for example fails even to list the young girl in the acting credits, despite her being the main feature. It began trundling along like every other indie-wank job crossed with an Apatow comedy and was pleasant enough with the main character this typical nerdy come actually quite good looking average kid that wants to be 'Kick Ass', a community super-hero vigiante and then that little girl appeared and they switched the focus to her, ramped up the speed x 3 and blasted out the Joan Jett whilst she stabbed people through the hands and throat, crushed them to death in car crushers, chopped off their legs and shot them through the cheek and the top of their head. Magnificent stuff.

The Widow of Brid

Not seen the film yet, but really enjoyed the comic (you can pick it up for a fiver for amazon at the moment and I recommend you do so).

uncle_rico

Did anyone else just see the random as fuck "interview" with Mathew Vaughn on The One Show?  He came on very quickly to say "the Daily Mail had slagged it off, but don't let that put you off, 15 years olds!".  He then disapeared by the time the next seqment had finished! 

Very odd...

glitch

Quote from: uncle_rico on March 30, 2010, 07:20:20 PM
Did anyone else just see the random as fuck "interview" with Mathew Vaughn on The One Show?  He came on very quickly to say "the Daily Mail had slagged it off, but don't let that put you off, 15 years olds!".  He then disapeared by the time the next seqment had finished! 

Very odd...

I caught that. I was impressed that he said something along the lines of "I had to do this character this way or I would have been crucified by the fanboys. And I'm making the film for them, not for Daily Mail reader who won't watch it".

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: glitch on March 31, 2010, 01:43:18 PM
I caught that. I was impressed that he said something along the lines of "I had to do this character this way or I would have been crucified by the fanboys. And I'm making the film for them, not for Daily Mail reader who won't watch it".

M. Vaughn should maybe check that he's on message with Mark Millar:

Quote from: The WriterKick-Ass is made by Daily Mail readers for Daily Mail readers

(in the Metro a couple of days back)