Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kick-Ass

Started by CaledonianGonzo, March 26, 2010, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

All these critics are complaining that Hit girl is terrible because she's desensitised to violence and whatnot, but could that not be the point? The scene in which
Spoiler alert
she rescues Kick Ass and Big Daddy from the gangsters
[close]
has that FPS style night vision shot, which harks back to Big Daddy saying that she thinks it's all a game, thereby levelling the same implications at the the audience.

It kind of reminds me of what I've read about Funny Games (I've not actually seen either version, so I have no idea how correct this assertion may be) but, while that was an arthouse film trying to preach to an action-thriller audience, This is actually aimed at that audience.

I dunno, I haven't put a lot of thought into it. I mostly just watched it as a bit of brainlessly enjoyable supertrash.

HB-88

I thought it was dreadful but maybe I just didn't get it. Can somebody explain to me what it was satirising please? I'm only able to read it on a superficial level for some reason and in that way I found it to be a bit embarrassing, like when a teacher swears to appear like less of a square, but then I've heard lots of people saying it's a satire so is that part of it, as in the stylised violence and the kid saying 'cunt' and so on? Like what's the point of the film? Because as it is I feel like I've simply watched something that thick people would consider 'fucking awesome' because 'it's cool'.

Dark Sky

It was just a cool action film, there's no layers of satire to it except a slight sense of meta-identity in terms of the characters talking about superheroes and then becoming super heroes.

Normally that would give a film a greater sense of realism, but in actuality the high cartoon campery of the film made it seem even more like a fantasy, albeit with occasional "superheroes twist their ankles sometimes" gags.

Spider-Man has more emotional and character realism in it I think.

But Kick-Ass was a lot of fun.  And Aaron Johnson is fit.

Neil

I enjoyed all the post-modern stuff, particularly when Kick-Ass is tied up, and references other movies that have had the same dynamic.

Really enjoyed this, but there were a few moments I couldn't abide.  The turn-a-round with Dave and...the love interest was so fast it almost gave me whiplash.  Just dreadfully, unbelievably rushed.  This, and the general predictability, under-lined just how good Four Lions is. 

The other thing was the
Spoiler alert
jet pack
[close]
, which really blew the realism of the film for me.  I mean,
Spoiler alert
yes, I know it's utterly unrealistic anyway, but to ground these characters in reality, and to have them powerless...it all just gets chucked away when you start having them 'flying'.
[close]