Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Apple Ipad (Heavy Flow)

Started by wasp_f15ting, April 08, 2010, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

So.. who is getting one of these at the end of this Month?

You see initially my response was very negative. I could NOT see the point of an enlarged iphone / ipod touch. But there have been countless times when I have thought to myself how cool it would be if the screen was bigger when browsing in bed or lounging around whilst the missus watches her TV shows.

I was all against the whole thing, till I had a go on it last night from someone who got in NYC. I am absolutely stunned at the quality of the display. It is no replacement to an e-ink reader, but for reading blogs and news papers its pretty damn good. Then I tried the Marvel app. This is the perfect medium for comics. Since comics do not require as much concentration as full on reading this seems like the best device to use. The best feature for me was just the screen, you can browse through photos so easily. I can imagine a photographer using this as a tool for showing a client what pictures they might want developing etc.

The lack of multi task was never on my mind, as I came to just accept it as an Iphone. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards to Ipad, most of it is warranted. However, when you consider the Price £350ish its not that bad, since a Sim free 8GB Iphone still costs around that price now. I think they will launch it in the UK for £399.99. I can imagine using the ipad a fair bit during work weeks when I can't be arsed with using my PC. I just want a pleasurable browsing experience, sans the flash support I think the Ipad would be ideal. I do think its a silly luxury.. but have any of you been thinking about getting one?

hoverdonkey

I will get one, but not yet. I'll let them tinker and improve it for a few months first and get the next generation.

jutl

If you're interested in individuals being able to write their own software and run it on their own devices without asking the manufacturer first, then the iPad sets a dangerous precedent. Supporting Apple's App Store model as it strolls into the general computing space is a mistake, in my opinion.

wasp_f15ting

I remember reading something along the lines of what you just said. Whilst most of our generation grew up with basic coding i.e. ZX spectrums and BBCs, a fair proportion of society today will not know the back end of a computer system. The closed ended design of the ipad means that people will never know what is beneath the bonnet or what it can do, unless they are a dev. Indeed the appstore / apple ipad is very restricted one sense. There is enough room for a strict dictatorship monolith like apple to exist as we have enough PCs and Linux stuff out there.

But.. it does give a lot of bright people the ability to get a good app on the store. I know that PC users like using ghetto sourceforge free ware rather than paid stuff, but on the whole the PC applications market for the laymen is too diverse. If they employed the same free-for all on the apple devices it would alienate most of their nintendo wii type consumers who don't care about source code or ethics. The app store does have a lot of brilliant ideas that probably exist on the PC too, but its everywhere and undiscovered.

Ambient Sheep

I suspect Apple wouldn't like Charlie Brooker's app suggestion very much:

QuoteiPad app idea: iMutilate. Hold iPad against leg & hack at onscreen thigh with virtual tin lid to see how it'd look if you actually did it.

jutl

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on April 08, 2010, 08:59:00 AM
I remember reading something along the lines of what you just said. Whilst most of our generation grew up with basic coding i.e. ZX spectrums and BBCs, a fair proportion of society today will not know the back end of a computer system. The closed ended design of the ipad means that people will never know what is beneath the bonnet or what it can do, unless they are a dev. Indeed the appstore / apple ipad is very restricted one sense. There is enough room for a strict dictatorship monolith like apple to exist as we have enough PCs and Linux stuff out there.

The problem is that most people will trade freedom for convenience any day, and that's the Apple bargain. Once Apple have a general computing App Store for the iPad it will allow Microsoft and others to do the same. If enough machines and their OS's support binary signing then online services will start insisting on the feature in client machines (as they tried to do with TPM a few years ago.) It's no good supporting a variegated software and hardware market only in principle. You have to use your money to support it if it's important to you.

QuoteBut.. it does give a lot of bright people the ability to get a good app on the store. I know that PC users like using ghetto sourceforge free ware rather than paid stuff, but on the whole the PC applications market for the laymen is too diverse. If they employed the same free-for all on the apple devices it would alienate most of their nintendo wii type consumers who don't care about source code or ethics. The app store does have a lot of brilliant ideas that probably exist on the PC too, but its everywhere and undiscovered.

...and by adopting Apple's spoon-fed channel, the majority will make sure that a few large corporations control what software we can run.

Koant

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 08, 2010, 09:01:03 AM
I suspect Apple wouldn't like Charlie Brooker's app suggestion very much:
Exactly: it's also users which loose out in the process: you bought a piece of hardware and it's yours but it's still Apple who decide what can be installed on it or not. It's like buying a house but being able to enjoy it only  to the level of renting it (no DIY, ask first etc.). The issue doesn't just concern techies.

jutl

Quote from: Koant on April 08, 2010, 09:15:27 AM
Exactly: it's also users which loose out in the process: you bought a piece of hardware and it's yours but it's still Apple who decide what can be installed on it or not. It's like buying a house but being able to enjoy it only  to the level of renting it (no DIY, ask first etc.). The issue doesn't just concern techies.

The classic example at the moment is choice of browser. Try to get something other than Safari on your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Apple block all examples of certain kinds of apps. Try and get an app like the Android one which lets you buy, download and play music from Amazon. If you bought the hardware, why must you only do things with it that accord with Apple's many armed business model?

Also, the Flash issue is poorly understood, partly because of strategic misinformation from Apple. The problem with Flash is not that it is buggy, as Jobs keeps insisting, it is that it is a fully-featured software execution platform that is not under Apple's control.

biggytitbo

I'll get one when it becomes a bit more developed and actually let's you use it as an opened up proper computer rather than a lock-downed Apple content portal. Basically when its not made by apple.

Duckula

I fucking want one.

I can't justify the cost at all and I already have an iPhone but the comics aspect has me sold a thousand times over.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on April 08, 2010, 08:43:53 AM
....The lack of multi task was never on my mind, as I came to just accept it as an Iphone. There seems to be a lot of hatred towards to Ipad, most of it is warranted..... but have any of you been thinking about getting one?
It's likely that third-party multi-tasking will be shown off when iPhone OS 4.0 is shown off at today's media event.

The hate warranted?

Re: getting one, I'm not really the target market but as I only use my laptop for light usage, could see myself as a possible alternative to getting a replacement laptop.

Quote from: jutl on April 08, 2010, 08:49:33 AM
If you're interested in individuals being able to write their own software and run it on their own devices without asking the manufacturer first, then the iPad sets a dangerous precedent. Supporting Apple's App Store model as it strolls into the general computing space is a mistake, in my opinion.
Sadly, the fact is that because of the money that is to be – and has - been made, a lot of developers don't care. There have been quite a few well respected developers that have publicly said they won't be developing for the Store, but there's no shortage of people to take their place.

Quote from: jutl on April 08, 2010, 09:27:45 AM
..Also, the Flash issue is poorly understood, partly because of strategic misinformation from Apple. The problem with Flash is not that it is buggy, as Jobs keeps insisting, it is that it is a fully-featured software execution platform that is not under Apple's control.
And a platform that has of late been criticised for its insecurity or even better, weakening security built into a certain operating system - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/05/adobe_security_modest_proposal/

I think you are certainly right about misinformation from Jobs, but I would say that it does go both ways. For example, Adobe does try to shift the focus of poor Mac performance of Flash because of the access Apple denies for H.264 hardware acceleration on Mac OS X, but the issues aren't restricted to H.264 – everything is slower than in Windows – nor is this lack of hardware acceleration been identified as a problem in other video playback software.

Personally, I think the real issue over Flash and Macs is all to do with the Adobe-Apple feud that's been going on for over a decade now. Used to be great fun hearing each slag the other off off the record. There was a huge spat of the introduction with OS X and relations have been dire ever since.

Of course, Adobe in over a decade hasn't got a great track record with Mac apps - e.g. Photoshop Elements having version updates less frequently than the Windows version; Premier being awful once; if you wanted the best PS performance on a Mac, you had to run it in a Windows environment.

Quote from: Koant on April 08, 2010, 09:15:27 AM
You can't miss what you don't know. The iPad is a consumer device, chiefly designed for media consumption – I really don't think that the vast majority of users will care... I'm not saying that they're right to do so and this is isn't an issue, but I doubt it's going to affect demand for the iPad

Koant

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 08, 2010, 11:33:14 AM
You can't miss what you don't know. The iPad is a consumer device, chiefly designed for media consumption – I really don't think that the vast majority of users will care... I'm not saying that they're right to do so and this is isn't an issue, but I doubt it's going to affect demand for the iPad
Oh I'm under no illusion that these issues will go mainstream, but if you're told about them before you buy an iThing, you have no excuse any more. :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

For the newest thing from the brand that's become a stye icon, it doesn't half make people look like twats.

It's the 21st century's equivalent of 80's bankers walking around with huge mobile phones. No adults look cool operating what looks like equipment designed to be used by giant toddlers.

Lee Van Cleef

I'm became biased against Apple after my PC got "Jobsed" a couple of months ago.  I think iTunes is a very handy resource for scouring podcasts and making sure you always get latest episodes when available without having to go to a bunch of websites.  That said after installing an update which I'd put off a number of months all of a sudden I found my PC infested with bits of Apple software, including Safari and a load of background stuff.

If I can get iTunes without my PC getting colonised by Jobs I'd be happy to use it.  As it is, I'll just use my favourites list.

Edit: Fixed.

jutl

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on April 08, 2010, 02:03:29 PM
I'm not biased against Apple after my PC got "Jobsed" a couple of months ago.  I think iTunes is a very handy resource for scouring podcasts and making sure you always get latest episodes when available without having to go to a bunch of websites.  That said after installing an update which I'd put off a number of months all of a sudden I found my PC infested with bits of Apple software, including Safari and a load of background stuff.

If I can get iTunes without my PC getting colonised by Jobs I'd be happy to use it.  As it is, I'll just use my favourites list.

Try this.

turnstyle

We've got one of these in the office at the moment.

Our editor is actually masturbating over it as I speak.

Ginyard

Koant

Ahah! I was mentioning "Will it blend? iPhone" to a friend a few hours ago, I should have known about the iPad.
That's quite satisfying to watch I have to say. And gotta love the guy's smile!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Koant on April 08, 2010, 01:34:47 PM
Oh I'm under no illusion that these issues will go mainstream, but if you're told about them before you buy an iThing, you have no excuse any more. :)
Oh sure, I knew exactly what you meant but I'm rather cynical when people get hypnotised by the shininess of a new must-have gadget... not that I would, you understand *looks shifty*

Quote from: VegaLA on April 08, 2010, 03:57:34 PM
Engadget article on the creeping costs of Apple Apps.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/editorial-ipad-prices-are-out-of-control-and-will-kill-us-all/

iPad componet cost, $259!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/07/isuppli-pegs-ipad-component-costs-at-as-little-as-259-60/
With the first story, there's been quite a bit of stuff about this – although an analysis says that the average price is $4 per iPad app, one article I suspect was closer to the truth with $7. There's also a lot less free stuff.

With the iPhone, although users do download a fair bit, the research so far that after a couple of days most users stop using an app – paid for or not.

With the second story, it was recently being estimated that the iPad cost as little as $220 (and I think that included manufacturing costs) with others suggesting as much as $280.

Quote from: Koant on April 08, 2010, 04:44:22 PM
Ahah! I was mentioning "Will it blend? iPhone" to a friend a few hours ago, I should have known about the iPad.
That's quite satisfying to watch I have to say. And gotta love the guy's smile!
Hee, spotted that and was going to post, but beaten to it...

biggytitbo

I bet the ipads an awkward bugger to hold for any length of time.

As predicted, Apple have finally unveiled multitasking on the latest gen iPods, iphone 3GS and iPad:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-0-unveiled-shipping-this-summer/

mcbpete

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on April 08, 2010, 02:03:29 PM
I think iTunes is a very handy resource for scouring podcasts and making sure you always get latest episodes when available without having to go to a bunch of websites.
You might want to learn about rss feeds (well if you don't already, otherwise this whole post is redundant and probably somewhat patronising). On my iGoogle page, all the podcasts that I want get forwarded onto my rss box thing/section/gadget/whatever-it's-called and I never miss a thing....

And with no horrible Apple processes running in the background or iTunes taking over every single media file on my computer.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 08, 2010, 11:33:14 AM
Personally, I think the real issue over Flash and Macs is all to do with the Adobe-Apple feud that's been going on for over a decade now. Used to be great fun hearing each slag the other off off the record. There was a huge spat of the introduction with OS X and relations have been dire ever since.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's as simple as this; as of today, the license agreement for iPhone developers states that "only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited)" -- in other words, the compile-Flash-as-an-app functionality of the new version of Flash (due to launch in 4 days) is completely knackered. While Flash isn't the only thing affected, the timing does seem like a deliberate kick in the balls to Adobe.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler

vrailaine

Is there a thread for smartphones here? I assume there is so I don't wanna start a new one.

jutl

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on April 08, 2010, 10:24:42 PM
As predicted, Apple have finally unveiled multitasking on the latest gen iPods, iphone 3GS and iPad:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-0-unveiled-shipping-this-summer/

Predictably it's pretend multitasking. Apps can be written to hand off certain kinds of task to the OS when they quit. Switching back to them revives their previous state and gives them access to the results of the task they handed off. If your app wants to do do something other than the 7 approved 'multitasking' activities in the background then you're out of luck. Apple have decided to swallow the market of current App Store ebook apps by running their own 'iBooks' app on the iPhone as well as the iPad. They've also stolen the iBook interface straight off the 3rd party app 'Classics'.

The truly unpleasant part is the iAd stuff: advertising at the operating system level. Apple's estimate that the average iPhone/iPad/iPT user will see ten ads a day via this new OS-level shilling is particularly chilling. Oh, and if you've just bought an iPad you'll have to wait until Autumn for the upgrade. Can even Apple fanboys accept this bouquet of fuck-yous with the usual dead-eyed smile?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: waste of chops on April 08, 2010, 11:04:31 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if it's as simple as this; as of today, the license agreement for iPhone developers states that "only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited)" -- in other words, the compile-Flash-as-an-app functionality of the new version of Flash (due to launch in 4 days) is completely knackered. While Flash isn't the only thing affected, the timing does seem like a deliberate kick in the balls to Adobe.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/iphone_agreement_bans_flash_compiler

What a complete set of cunts. It has nothing to do with quality either because the vast majority of apps are complete shite, at least with Flash you would have the swathes of experienced developers to go along with that tripe.

wasp_f15ting

Classic Jobs..

Quote"What we want to do with iAds is deliver interaction and emotion."

I know it sounds like they are going to implement this in free apps. But.. I really hope it doesn't start coming into play if you have a 1.0 version of an app and this advert pops up everytime you use it to advertise 2.0.

This indeed does worry me.. Imagine using safari on the ipad and all of the sudden a massive splash ad comes and jizzes all over the screen advertising.

Urgh.. I know how greedy people are, and Iad is going to create so many shit adverts before they know not to put too much on. Its like the bad ole days of the net where every page on a decent website had some kind of shit advert. At least you could close those, but with HTML 5 it sounds like it will have to run its course before you can carry on. I wonder if this really is one step too far.

Nibbsy

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on April 09, 2010, 12:54:02 PM
Classic Jobs..

I know it sounds like they are going to implement this in free apps. But.. I really hope it doesn't start coming into play if you have a 1.0 version of an app and this advert pops up everytime you use it to advertise 2.0.

This indeed does worry me.. Imagine using safari on the ipad and all of the sudden a massive splash ad comes and jizzes all over the screen advertising.

Urgh.. I know how greedy people are, and Iad is going to create so many shit adverts before they know not to put too much on. Its like the bad ole days of the net where every page on a decent website had some kind of shit advert. At least you could close those, but with HTML 5 it sounds like it will have to run its course before you can carry on. I wonder if this really is one step too far.

What you describe doesn't sound like the 'better browsing experience' they're selling this as. If this iAd stuff does turn out to be as intrusive and annoying as you suggest, then no one will use/buy the things. Surely Apple wouldn't allow that to happen.

chand

Quote"What we want to do with iAds is deliver interaction and emotion."

Haha, that's fucking great.