Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apple Ipad (Heavy Flow)

Started by wasp_f15ting, April 08, 2010, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
They put the iPhone 5 into production way back in July for it's September launch. The same thing happened with previous generations. There's no question that the Mini will be released. Retailers have been issued instructions to make extra display room for them.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 review from Android Police.

QuoteThe hardware is pure, unadulterated garbage. The build quality is so bad, I think it gave me cancer.

Subtle Mocking

Android do have a hell of a lot of catching up to do, but I think it's too soon to write them off completely. I do think an iPad Mini could potentially wipe some companies off the tablet market though (HTC, Motorola, Blackberry).

I think even Windows will be ahead of Android in terms of tablets by the end of the year.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jutl on August 22, 2012, 07:43:28 PM
I don't think it's impossible, given that iPad 2 + New iPad shift over 5 million units a month at the moment. Any new, cheaper iPad is likely to eat into those sales strongly while bringing in new consumers for whom the old iPads were too expensive.

It was the source of the claim that I was really commenting on – Digitimes' accuracy a notoriously unreliable, but a source that gets eagerly reprinted but with an increasing amount of caveats

Earlier this year, one Time writer looked at 25 reports about Apple from Digitimes – 16 were completely or mostly inaccurate, four might possibly happen and five were more or less on the money. If, for argument's sake, we say this strike rate is representative (but see below), even if the 4 million a month production figure sounds reasonable, if the source for that claim is a publication that gets it wrong nearly two-thirds of the time, then I feel when figures are being touted, it's only fair to say where they originate from.

That Time hack did say that their "sampling may or may not be representative of Digitimes' Apple articles as a whole. But you get the idea." Digitimes did respond and made some good points in its defence but did concede it needed to pull up its socks. Personally, I read Digitimes quite a lot (for a variety of subjects) – and that isn't to get a daily dose of fiction – but I always approach claims with caution that aren't possible to verify and would't want to give the impression that they're based on more solid foundations when mentioning them.

re: your point about cheaper iPads eating into the existing market, I absolutely agree - and we started to see that when the entry model was reduced to £329 and the average selling price of the iPad fell.

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on August 22, 2012, 08:04:44 PM
Android do have a hell of a lot of catching up to do, but I think it's too soon to write them off completely. I do think an iPad Mini could potentially wipe some companies off the tablet market though (HTC, Motorola, Blackberry).

I think even Windows will be ahead of Android in terms of tablets by the end of the year.

I certainly wouldn't write off Android either. As well as the Mini (assuming that does come out), manufacturers are going to be under pressure from if Google continues with other products that have a pricing strategy to the Nexus 7 - Google's main concern is the installed user basel, rather than hardware profit and such aggressive pricing offers challenges for manufacturers. I can't see Motorola leaving the market - Motorola tablets are produced by Motorola Mobilty, which Google bought a while ago.

I would like Windows to do well (as I've mentioned, I think it's preferable to have strong competing platforms), but getting OEMs onboard may be problematical. Also, demonstrations have been a little worrying - e.g. hands-on demo not being very hands-on (e.g. not being allowed to use the trumpeted keyboard at all) or a tablet freezing during a keynote demo. The fact that you'll have some running Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro, I think might prove a sticking point and also confusing for some punters.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on August 22, 2012, 08:04:44 PM

Androids on way more devices than IOS is though, its not as lucrative for google but I think the play store is catching up to the app store very quickly.

MojoJojo

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 25, 2012, 02:36:36 PM
Androids on way more devices than IOS is though, its not as lucrative for google but I think the play store is catching up to the app store very quickly.

By some reports, Microsoft makes more money out of Android than google does. It's hard to know whether Android is a brilliant strategic gamble or chucking money down the drain.

biggytitbo

I'm not sure Googles strategy is to make money from android itself, its to make money from google. Android simply pushes googles services on more devices than would otherwise be the case.

jutl

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 25, 2012, 04:54:16 PM
I'm not sure Googles strategy is to make money from android itself, its to make money from google. Android simply pushes googles services on more devices than would otherwise be the case.

... and maybe more importantly dilutes Apple's mobile domination, which might otherwise have made them a gatekeeper in the same way Microsoft is to the desktop.

chocky909

I'm tempted to buy an iPad 4 tomorrow but I'm also tempted by the Nexus 10. It's mainly for watching Youtube vids on the bog. Advice?

KLG-7B

chocky909

KLG-7B

You could buy a lot of Scampi Flavour Fries or Cheese Flavoured Moments with the leftover money if you choose a Nexus 10.

chocky909

I'm picking it up at about 2.30pm so if anyone wants to convince me to not, do it here.

Basically, I already have a GS2 so I have my Android experience on there. There are loads of great apps and games that are exclusive to the iStore I want to try out. I'll probably JB it later on too.

biggytitbo

Nexus 10, better than retina screen, comparable internals, lower price, android jelly bean is awesome. Plus of course people with iPads have a higher than usual chance of being a bell-end.

mobias

If its primarily going to be used whilst sitting on the shitter then I'd go for the iPad. Those rounded corners of the Nexus don't inspire confidence when it comes to gripping and heaving. Plus I find that the sheer fact that I've given my hard earned money to richest corporation in world with and the decision to to do so fuelled mainly by my own technological vanity actually aids constipation and those other moments when solids are difficult to move. It certainly makes diarrhea even more enjoyable.

Viero_Berlotti

I bought an ipad 4 myself last week. I tried to convince my girlfriend we should look at alternatives but she's had her heart set on an ipad for ages, so I relented to avoid arguments. I quite like it, and there are no serious complaints so far, but it's certainly not worth £400. I downloaded some Jeff Minter games to make myself feel better about spending all my overtime money on it.

chocky909

I am posting this on the bog from my new iPad. It's totally wicked man.

KLG-7B

Spoiler alert
Nice! I wrote this on my Nexus.
[close]

chocky909

Quote from: KLG-7B on November 08, 2012, 06:04:51 PM
Spoiler alert
Nice! I wrote this on my Nexus.
[close]

I also bought some Scampi Fries but now I have fishy grease all over the aluminium unibody!
Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2012, 07:33:11 AM

Nexus 10, better than retina screen, comparable internals, lower price, android jelly bean is awesome. Plus of course people with iPads have a higher than usual chance of being a bell-end.

I don't care what people think plus an iPad will probably impress more people than cause them to think me nob ead. I'm sure I'll start to remember all the bad stuff about Apple products but right now I'm loving it a lot more than I did with the Nexus 7.

I want to find a way to import video and music without using iTunes.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chocky909 on November 08, 2012, 07:01:26 PM...I want to find a way to import video and music without using iTunes.

Very easily done - CopyTrans is popular, but I would just Google it as there's a few options...

chocky909

It doesn't work on my iPad unfortunately. I think I'm going to have to go to Macrumors or similar and find out exactly what I can and can't do on this. I probably shouldn't have upgraded the firmware when it was offered in case it affects my ability to jailbreak.

All I really want to be able to do is use a control pad for some games and be able to play my video and audio easily, preferably without using iTunes.

I still can't get over how beautiful the retina resolution is. Are there any apps or games that really show it off?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: chocky909 on November 12, 2012, 01:36:28 AM
It doesn't work on my iPad unfortunately. I think I'm going to have to go to Macrumors or similar and find out exactly what I can and can't do on this. I probably shouldn't have upgraded the firmware when it was offered in case it affects my ability to jailbreak.....

CopyTrans should, but I was only using that as an example. iExplorer is another piece of software.

re: Jailbreaking, I'm pretty sure that iOS 6.01 is jailbroken - but yeah, I would have a lot at MR. IIRC, jailbreaking is no longer (or will no longer be) exempt for the DCMA, so there might be implications for the process.

Jackson K Pollock

So I finally bit the bullet and got an iPad (Reconditioned iPad2 from the Apple website, 64gb, wireless only, £399).

First impressions - pretty bad, actually, as the home button didn't work.

Even worse, looking online, this seems to be an alarmingly common problem, with all sorts of "fixes" many of which bordered on the superstitious.

I put up with it for about 3 days, but have just sent it back to Apple now, who claim they are going to repair it (I don't see why they can't just replace it, to be honest, but whatever).

In the short time that I had it, it seemed ok, but I really need some help.

What's the best App to play video files on?

Obviously Apple's "Video" app only plays MP4s which is pretty disgraceful, but I've had a look at many other apps in the store all of which have such a wide mix of feedback that it's hard to know what does what.

I don't particularly mind paying £2 or £3, I just need to be sure that it will play a wide selection of video formats.

I have AVPlayer on my iPhone, which is great, and I was more than happy to upgrade to the paid iPad version, but it appears to have recently been removed from the Apple store for some reason.

Also, any hints or tips on any other must-have apps would be greatly appreciated.

Ta!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 11:07:42 AM
So I finally bit the bullet and got an iPad (Reconditioned iPad2 from the Apple website, 64gb, wireless only, £399).

First impressions - pretty bad, actually, as the home button didn't work.

Even worse, looking online, this seems to be an alarmingly common problem, with all sorts of "fixes" many of which bordered on the superstitious.....

How much are you sold on the iPad? Personally, I love my iPad 2, but if I was going for one now, I would go with one of the newer models (or Android, if I was so inclined) as I feel the discounts aren't that generous, plus the enhanced features on more recent models are nifty.

Refurbished products are supposed to be checked before they're sent – even if they're not 'used'; if a product is returned unused, it can't be sold as new so will be via the Refurb Store. This is one reason why some prefer to just buy through the Refurb Store, as the chances of getting a lemon are less than buying a 'new' one and I think this is the first I've heard about someone getting a duff unit... not that that's much consolation you being a special case!

With regards to the home button, if it's acting up, then yes, going straight to Apple is best as it's most likely something that needs to be properly fixed. For what it's worth, my impression is that this isn't a very common problem with the iPad (any version) based on what I've read in forums (compared to the iPhone 4, say) and when talking about hardware problems. That isn't to denigrate your experience at all, especially as I know you're not alone, but it's not something I would be concerned about when buying.

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 11:07:42 AM....I put up with it for about 3 days, but have just sent it back to Apple now, who claim they are going to repair it (I don't see why they can't just replace it, to be honest, but whatever)....

Those models aren't being manufactured anymore – Apple's stock controls are amazingly tight these days. Estimates with the latter, but generally reckoned to be a few days – basically, the company doesn't sit on stock so I suspect that that's going to be an issue. Also, with this kind of problem, it can be fixed by part replacement, so I also suspect that this is another reason. I take it getting to an Apple store isn't that convenient?

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 11:07:42 AM...What's the best App to play video files on?...
QQ Player is regarded as a good and Flex Player, which I have seems decent but it's not something I keep up with regularly – plus, 'best' is going to depend on a user's needs. TBH, I would have a look at MacRumors as it's a good resource for this kind of thing and have seen the occasional very detailed report – should help you narrow it down! App Store ratings can be distorted by muppets (not the good kind), so sometimes take these with a pinch of salt.

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 11:07:42 AM...Also, any hints or tips on any other must-have apps would be greatly appreciated...

Any type of apps that you're particularly interested in? Or ones, that you're not?

You're probably already aware of it, but just in case, App Shopper is a great site – it shows all new apps and which ones have been updated (either in terms of price and/or versions) and really worth a regular visit.

Jackson K Pollock

Thanks, that's a great post and much appreciated. Hopefully I was just unlucky with my iPad, and it certainly hasn't put me off getting Apple stuff, and the refurb store sounds like a great way to go for someone like me, who is generally more than happy to be a generation behind when it comes to computer technology.

The main reasons I bought the iPad2 rather than the new iPad were:

a) I wanted as much memory as possible (for photos/videos, Garageband work, and just storing music and movies on - I have a 16GB iPhone and I'm constantly having to delete stuff from it to take photos, record music etc), and

b) I didn't want to spend any more than £400.

There were other reasons as well:

1) The latest Garageband update has apparently made my iRig obsolete, with no comment from Apple on the situation whatsoever except "Buy our Apogee Jam for £80 instead" (fortunately, I have not - and will not - update it until a fix is found)

2) I resolutely refuse to lose Google Maps - for this reason, I still haven't updated my iPhone iOS yet, and don't intend to for the foreseeable future, as I won't "upgrade" something that works for something that doesn't.

3) When I went to the Apple store last weekend to have a look at them, the "Genius" at the store couldn't answer my one simple question - whether we were looking at an iPad 2 or a new iPad - which made me suspect there can't be that much difference between them.

4) I refuse to believe that something that people were singing the praises of six months ago could become obsolete overnight.

I have to say, although I only used it briefly, I was a bit disappointed with the iPad 2's camera. I don't really know what all the specs mean, but I did think it would be much better than it seems to be. And having just popped across the road to PC World at lunch and had a quick look at the new iPad, I'm actually a little bit disappointed I didn't get one now, as the picture quality was stunning.

I'll check out the media players that you recommended when I get my iPad back. My only real requirements are that it plays most different formats, and that it looks nice. I'm not really sure what else they do... If it helps, I'm more than happy to sync up via iTunes and a cable, I don't know if that makes me a Luddite or not.

I've never really looked into Apple-y websites, so no, I was unaware of App Shopper, and have only really stumbled across Mac Rumours when looking up technical issues, so again, I'll have a proper scan at these when my iPad is returned.

The main app that I bought the iPad for is Garageband, and I wasn't disappointed in the few hours that I had it. I downloaded a bunch of free comics, which I thoroughly enjoyed - even as a non-comic reader - and I can see myself becoming a bit addicted to them. I also downloaded some classic books, for free, in less than one second, that I'd been wanting to read for a while, and can see that being a lot of fun.

I guess I was really just looking for recommendations of stuff I hadn't even thought of yet. I use my iPhone for everything, and just thought there might be some random iPad apps that I might get similarly addicted to.

biggytitbo

I've still got my old iPad, and the one thing that I really miss when I very occasionally use it is the global back button from android. How did I ever live without that?!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 04:58:45 PM
Thanks, that's a great post and much appreciated. Hopefully I was just unlucky with my iPad, and it certainly hasn't put me off getting Apple stuff, and the refurb store sounds like a great way to go for someone like me, who is generally more than happy to be a generation behind when it comes to computer technology...

A pleasure! Yeah, I think you were just unlucky with the one you got – the Refurb Store also flogs current models of some products. Usual warranty and nice discount – what's to complain about?

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 04:58:45 PM....The main reasons I bought the iPad2 rather than the new iPad were...

Really sound reasons – I thought the capacity might have been a draw, but am generally interested what people are interested in!

It's certainly not obsolete as you say! From one finance call, it was mentioned that iPad sales were up but gross margins down – which most interpreted as many punters going for the entry 16GB iPad 2 model, rather than the latest and 'greatest'. As nice as the retina display is, I feel it's not the be all and end all for everyone (and I'm going to be hanging onto my machine for a while). Given that for an extra £70, you're getting and extra 48GB, it's a good deal.

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 15, 2012, 04:58:45 PM...
I've never really looked into Apple-y websites, so no, I was unaware of App Shopper, and have only really stumbled across Mac Rumours when looking up technical issues, so again, I'll have a proper scan at these when my iPad is returned...

Appshopper is a great one – it's so useful seeing what's on sale. At certain times of the year (e.g. Thanksgiving), a lot of companies discount their software heavily and it's so much easier sifting through price changes this way.

I'll have a think about apps, but Infinity! Is worth a look – a free comics fanzine.

Subtle Mocking

Okay, two questions:

1) Does anyone have a Mini? If so, do you prefer it to the normal iPad?

2) Is 16gb enough?

chocky909

I'm finding 16gb not enough on my iPad 4. It was ok for my iPhone 3GS but apps are bigger now especially games. Thinking 32gb would have been a better option. I might actually sell and upgrade.

Subtle Mocking

I doubt I'd have a lot of games, but I know a lot of the apps are pretty hefty.

mobias

There's no way 16GB is enough memory these days. I've got an old first gen iPad which is 16GB and I'm constantly having to juggle data on and off it. Its a total pain in the arse.

I've played with my work mates new iPad mini. I'm really impressed with it. It actually feels like a much nicer size than the larger one, a hell of a lot lighter too. I'll get one when the price of the 32GB model drops. The next gen one will have a retina display too which I might hold out for.