Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Classic comedy, out on DVD - now!

Started by Glebe, April 09, 2010, 08:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fawwaz

The PC brigade would have been a much more clever name for the show. The IT Crowd barely makes sense.

Serge

Is that Dick Valentine as the Denholm character?

An tSaoi

Yeah, I couldn't think of any British comedians who look like Morris' Denholm, so him and Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood were the only people who came to mind. I cracked up at Glebe's idea of Steve Davis as Rodney Hackney, so I thought it'd be okay to stretch reality a little.

An tSaoi

"Holy feckin' Jaysus!", "Ya feckin' fecker, ya!", "I'll feck your arse over that ditch, ya hoor!" and "Feck de lot of youse, I'm off home so I am, so I am!" – just some of the classic catchphrases from Ireland's number one rated sitcom, regularly pulling in 934 viewers - a staggering 87% audience share - all of them farmers. This wheel-barrowingly hilarious sitcom - starring Pat Shortt (D'Unbelievables, Father Ted), Patrick McDonnell (Father Ted), Brendan Grace (Father Ted), and Jason 'these are fake hands' Byrne (Father Ted), plus whoever else was kicking about the RTÉ comedy department - details the wacky goings on in Carrickmacslurry, a backwards village jam-packed with rural yahoos, gombeens, culchies, and fellas who failed the audition for extras in The Quiet Man. It's some craic so it is. Oh jaysus, hey. At all at all at all.

Shortt plays PJ O'Flaherty, an incontinent road worker who's always caught short, but remains somewhat philosophical about the whole thing: "I hope the arse doesn't fall out of me world... because the world just fell out of me arse!" He's joined by a colourful cast of characters, including obese greyhound racer Paddy McSweeney ("I'm so hungry I'd eat the belly off a low flying duck"), lightweight mechanic Pascal McGinty ("He'd get drunk on a barman's fart"), dim-witted cattle farmer Aloysius Doyle ("He's solid bone from the neck up") and tight-fisted auctioneer Ionic McShane ("He wouldn't give you the steam of his piss").

Episode 1: De Field – When Carrickmacslurry village green comes under threat from a Yank developer who wants to turn it into a multistory aqueduct, it's up to PJ and the lads to save the day, with a little help from an escaped kangaroo.

Episode 2: De Brothel – When Carrickmacslurry gymkhana comes under threat from a Brit developer who wants it turn it into a brothel for zoophiles, it's up to PJ and the lads to save the day, with a little help from a runaway steam engine.

Episode 3: De Rivalry – When Carrickmacslurry town hall is vandalised by yobbos from neighbouring Ballydrumsileage, PJ and the lads challenge them to a game of Subbuteo Gaelic football, with a little help from a swarm of angry bees.

Episode 4: De Spaceman – When a Russian Cosmonaut crash lands in Carrickmacslurry and thinks he's landed on Jupiter, it's up to PJ and the lads to get him back home, with a little help from a hydrogen-filled caravan.

Episode 5: De Assassination Attempt – When Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe comes on a state visit to Carrickmacslurry, it's up to PJ and the lads to assassinate him, with a little help from an explosive breakfast roll.

Episode 6: De Hole – When the local poitín distillery explodes and leaves a huge crater in Carrickmacslurry, it's up to PJ and the lads to fill it in, with a little help from some out-of-date laxative tablets and a randy undertaker. 

Serge

Wasn't this already on telly for real, but called 'The Fitz'?

An tSaoi

Actually, it was called [noembed]Killinaskully[/noembed], at it really is Ireland's number one rated sitcom.

Glebe

Excellent stuff, An tSaoi! RTE betamax, heh! I was planning on doing my own RTE sitcom skit!

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Glebe on June 09, 2010, 04:54:26 AM

You omit to mention that it was written by Barry Armitage and Terry Shanks before their falling out.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Glebe on June 21, 2010, 05:20:18 PM
Excellent stuff, An tSaoi! RTE betamax, heh! I was planning on doing my own RTE sitcom skit!

Aw, thanks.

Glebe

Oh, choices choices! "But make sure they're plain!" Manchurian Biscuit and 'cake snack' shop owner Barry Crubbins (played by Corris St. Norrington) was keen on biscuits of all varieties... as long as they weren't too audacious! Barry's Biscuits (19?? – 20??) was (or possibly still is) a classic sweetbread sitcom, with an added bit of sugar on top! Barry had all kinds of hi-jinks running the store, and was something of an expert on the biscuit ("Did you know, the ancient Aztecs invented the shortbread selection by mixing basic oatcakes with honey?"), but was somewhat of a prude when it came to 'fancy' types. Adjusting his glasses, he would pedantically proclaim, "Well, I don't like to go mad, but I am quite partial to the odd Jersey Cream or Lemon Puff. But Jammy Dodgers is going too far!"

Rival biscuit shop owner Mr. Garibaldi (played by Doctor Who's The Master) was always causing a stir with his "Fancy foreign Belgian selections – diz'gusting!", while Barry described the more 'modern' biscuits Garibaldi openly displayed as "obscene!" Meanwhile, Barry's betrothed Mavis (played by Mavis herself) was often on hand to smooth over any disagreements, and the pair would usually end up setting the world to rights over a cup of tea and a fruit slice!

Cream crackers were an option, being unadorned by "filthy" sugars and the like, but on the very rare occasion when he was feeling naughty, Barry would take off on his own for a dirty weekend involving a packet of Hobnobs and a couple of sweet tarts. However, guilty feelings would usually set in, and the next morning he'd back snuggling up by the fire with Mavis, an open tin of Eccles cakes waiting temptingly on the sideboard!

Classic episodes included "Fairy Cakes", where Barry's sexuality was called in to question, and "Bourbon On The Rocks", in which the biscuit industry threatens to collapse, but for many the standout was Christmas special "Ye Olden Biscuits"; Barry is knocked unconscious by a falling tin of Danish Cookies in the storeroom, and the stage is set for a hilarious dream sequence in which the biscuit seller imagines himself as a medieval knight, defending the country against a horde of wheat-based foes – "Be ye Jaffa Cake or lemon slice, show thine self!"

The show's theme tune consisted of a witty duet between Barry and Mavis ("You ask for Digestives... that's plainly suggestive!") and the two lovebirds planned to marry using a Coconut Ring instead of the traditional finger band, but the sinister Garibaldi occasionally vied for Mavis affections by offering her a white coffee and a Swiss role. But Mavis had made up her mind, and would look forward to a lifetime of biscuit-related joy with humble old Barry!

Hank_Kingsley

Glebe

Thanks... here's another, seeing as how I've got such a busy life and everything. ;)

"We gawd sayin' 'round 'ere... if it bain't broke, don't frucks aht!" And so the scene is set for one of the Black Country's most enduring sheepcoms.  Don't Bother Your Bumpkin (1976 – present) has long featured a rag-tag of clumsy characters and chucklesome chums! And oh, what a rag-tag of clumsy characters and chucklesome chums! When Young Feggit wasn't drowing the cats, he'd be helping Old Froggit have 'fun' with the dog, and oh, with what shocking consequences! Sam enjoyed a pipe of the good stuff, but you'd not find him doing a stick of work all day, while Pumpkin Pam interspersed her poetry readings with mirthful warnings about flying cows! Meanwhile, local jugband The Zyders could usually be found badgering their manager Reg Troggins for a pint and some payment ("Oh, fuck off!"), while Toothy Gumville never got off young Elgwins back – if he "didn't bury no bodies by sunset, they're be law to deal with and all sorts ah pryin'!"

Across town, Jericho Oatseeds come oft be found raising a glass to yer health in The Slaughtered Tomcat, while permanent resident American tourist Paranoia Johnston stood in the corner with rifle in hand. While The Jiggery-Digs would be busy outside preparing for the summer stick-shake, you could do no better than to pop along to the local hazley-fest, were Farmer Devonpuds would feltch you up a treat! Visiting vet Mr. Beastings seemed to have developed an unhealthy fixation with Dolly, but that was nothing compared to the sinister doings cared out by local yokels the Baintleys – chewing blades of grass was the least of their sins!

Bumpkin has long enduring, most recently getting a boost with the new writing team of Stephen Merchant and Russell Howard (who each know a thing or two about swallowing cream!), but it's the classic episodes that stick longest in y'brainbox. Pertwee offshoot Selwyn Grubbage has poked his carrot nose in on manys the occasion, most sinisterly in the episode 'Where Art Thou Scarecrow?', in which he abducts two young girls. Pam took a trip to the seaside in the episode 'Ayers Rock', while 'The Pub Chess Game' featured much corpsing from the cast. 'A Pitchfork Up The Arse' showed Faulty Towers how to carry off a classic farce, while 'There Be Baskercats Out On The Moorsvilles!' lingered long at the back of my mind, personally speaking.

Finally, were would we be without those classic catchphrases? Among such hurriedly assembled stereotype-baiting clichés were "drink up thine slither!", "there be no sense in hurryin' now!", "moi father used to say it it's much, it's muchness!", 'bury that cow!', "get orf my foot!", 'wither-why-wurzel?', 'can't speak wurzeleeze' and 'wizzen why worza-lee!'

An tSaoi

Every single name in that made me laugh.

Serge

An tSaoi

Michael Rapaport is Joey Bloggs and/or Bloggstein, a lazy and/or fat and/or stupid, blue- and/or white-collar worker and all-round average shmoe who lives happily and/or unhappily with his family in an improbably spacious house and/or apartment in suburban and/or metropolitan New Jersey and/or New York and/or Long Island.

Joey likes nothing better than sitting back with a beer and/or hotdog to watch the football and/or baseball on TV. He's joined by his considerably smarter and/or more attractive and/or nagging wife played by Jami Gertz and/or Patricia Heaton and/or Anita Barone and/or Katey Sagal, as well as his two and/or three kids and their pet dog and/or grandfather, a World War II and/or Vietnam and/or Korean war veteran.

Joey is upset and/or angry that his son and/or boychick Joey Jr doesn't share his interest in beer and/or hotdogs and/or football and/or baseball and/or boxing and/or chicks, and is concerned and/or appalled that Junior is too weedy and/or klutzy and/or geeky and/or fruity, because he likes chess and/or comic books and/or Dungeons and Dragons and/or Lord of the Rings and/or fantasy roleplaying and/or Star Trek and/or Star Wars and/or ballet and/or Michael Bublé.

Meanwhile he has to deal with his attractive and/or unattractive daughter, who's causing tension by dating a musician and/or High School dropout and/or black man, and/or who can't get a date because she's too unattractive and/or shy and/or unpopular and/or thinks she's fat, which means Joey must reassure and/or ignore her, which backfires, causing her to get revenge by saying she hates him and/or hiding the remote control and/or leaving town on the back of her boyfriend's motorbike and/or pickup trunk, which makes Joey finally open up and/or have a massive heart attack and/or plotz and/or learn the true meaning of Christmas and/or Hanukkah.

As if that wasn't enough, the dog and/or grandfather eats his slippers and/or shits the bed and/or racially abuses their Filipino neighbours, which causes Joey all sorts of bother and/or hassle and/or lands him in hot water and/or has him threatened with legal action and/or has him lose his job.

But in spite of and/or because of all this, the whole family comes together in the end, where they all make up and/or Joey finally snaps and/or goes absolutely fercockt then brutally murders them all in the dead of night, smears their entrails on the walls and/or runs up and down the street wearing their skin as overalls while gibbering to himself that all he wanted was to watch the game, until the cops and/or SWAT team and/or Army and/or Marines show up and blow him away and/or give him the chair and/or have committed to an asylum for the rest of his life.

Glebe

In space, no one can hear you laugh! Created by the minds of Douglas Taylor-Adams and Bob 'On The Space Buses' Grant, Brown Star is a cult sci-comedy series which ran from 1989 – 2000, and continues to hit our boxes courtesy of a series of one-off 'specials' on Five or Dave or whatever. The year is 8089, where the good ship Brown Star is stranded 28 billion miles from earth. Its crew are a luckless lot; there's Blister, the scouse scallywag with a heart of brass, Bummer, the cynical, uptight hologram, Tiger, the nifty fifties cool cat and Kretin, the neurotic robot who does the ironing. Ship's computer Golly was initially played by Arthur Smith, who left the series to return to the world of comedy, only to be replaced by a woman from The Bangles seemingly.

The show built its success on a particularly obvious brand of scatological wackiness, with catchphrases like "spunking heck!", "brown trouser alert!" and "fucking nobcheese!" only adding to the lowbrow atmosphere. Creatures such as the Turd Monster and the Pissing Ant, and vehicles like the Spunk Mobile and the Arse Hoover helped keep things 'schoolyard', while the effects left a lot to be desireed; however, unlike Doctor Who their very shitness didn't evoke any nostalgic charm, and many of the show's FX team have since committed suicide.

A classic scene from the episode 'Pirate's Shit.'

Series five saw the boys stranded on a US military outpost, where they regularly ran in to problems with Captain Hammond X. Jerkov, whose favourite punishment involved throwing the lads into the Stargate, where they were at the mercy of all kinds of rubber dinosaurs!

Classic episodes include 'Snegging 'Ell!', 'H.R. Giger Counter', 'Homo Alien', 'Beer And Arses', 'Brown Arses', 'Fart Alien!' and 'Rubber Jonnie', while the series vast selection of stunningly unfunny outtakes only add to the sense of desperation and sadness.

Jake Thingray

Glebe

Och the noo, mae boab! Located near Newcastle, the country called Scotland provided the setting for nonexistent Photoshop nightmare Orr Bully! (the 1970s – 20??), which starred Billy Connelly as lowly Glaswegian Bully Cunnully. Eager to escape the drab town of McFarleybricks, Bully dreamt of making it big in showbiz, but in the meantime was kept busy with his day job at Thistle Construction ('Houses Built Out Of Thistles – In A Wee Jiffy!') which at least gave him a welcome break from his eccentric family, including elder twin brother Big Yin, wife Wee Yan (Janette Krankie) and her ever-present chaperone (played by psychotic husband Ian). As for the other relations, Grandpa Baxter's search for Nessie gave all a wee chuckle, pianist cousin Pete was always loosing his 'troosers', mutant-powered Granny Campbell had the strength of ten cabers and could knit six woolies before breakfast ("is there nothing that she fucking cannae do?") and Wee Pippin Cox could oft be 'foond' weeping into his pipeweed. Meanwhile, gay neighbour Cheeky Cummings was swift of tongue ("why, that's a lovely pink shirt, Wee Frankie Boyle!"), Donald and Georgie were a fixture and grumpy Mr. Wildrew was constantly burying himself up to the neck in highland cow manure ("I dooooon't BELIEVE them!"). Meanwhile, the less said about Mr. Broon the better.

Mr. Maynard's bowels were always loose and poor Midge's ritual burning of the dinner usually signalled a war of words with drunken hubby Rabbie B. Nesquik, but otherwise things were kept pretty peaceful thanks to the efforts of Sgt. Howie MacKay ("you're all vicious little liars... it's porridge for the lot of yeh!") ...from the dock-dregs of Glasgow to the 'festival castles' of Edinburgh, there was nae better copper! However the serge's mettle was put to test in classic two-parter 'Who Stole The Haggis?', but things were soon put to rights thanks to the intervention of Cracker McAbberline of The Yard. On a lighter note, there was plenty of fun to be had about town, with Tunnock McFartland's massive erections often coming in handy for a quick 'caber toss' and Brewer MacYeast's curdled numptions going down a treat come grouting season ("it's braw guid!")

From Land's Foot to John 'O Greebs, the show was a big hit across the land, with various famous faces keeping audiences tuning in week after year. Lord Summerlee's battles with Laird Connery for the honour of Wicker Sacrifice were a ratings winner cum midsumer, while Alan Hansen's half-time plot analysis kept the wee bairns rapt. Meanwhile, who could be 'Sorry!' to tune in and hear Ronnie C. proclaim "on a packed show tonight!" On occasion series producer Armando Iannucci would pop out to provide "a wee bit of politics, ladies and gentlemen!", while John Sessions' appearances were typically subtle and underplayed; "A GOOD MORN TO YE GREAT THAIN, WOOOOOAAAHHH!" The Scunner McFerrin was always on hand with a fiendish ploy, the late spirit of Alastair Sim was a constant presence and Hollywood superstar Sir Melvice Wilson was fond of mooning the English with the quip; "you can teek oor land, but you'll ne'er teek oor haggis!"

Classic episodes included 'The Real McCoy', where Bing Ferguson mistakes a boring books festival for a Star Trek convention, but things turn out 'braw' after all with the presence of Miss Hoolie, and Bing ends up enjoying a wee wank at the back of the hall! 'P.C. Thomson' saw Sgt. MacKay go undercover as a miserable old comic publisher, and in 'It's Showtime!', Bully is convinced his stripy black and white jacket will win him the part of Beetlejuice. 'Highland Fling' saw Sedge 'Hoot'nay!' McAlister marry plumber Piss MacKilroy, while 'South Perk' introduced us to the outrageous Mr. MacHanky The Christmas Lump Of Coal. The show came to an abrupt end with the live-recorded episode 'Wee Rabbi Burns', in which Jerry Sadowitz performed an obscene magic trick. There were several billion complaints, and the show was axed, leaving Connelly's career floundering. He was last seen in the off-Broadway play 'The Psychiatrist Wife'.

Some classic scenes...

Chief Inspector Kirk Van Dyke and Sgt. MacKay relax with the local heroes in the episode 'Fitba Focus'.

Rab rewards Midge with a Googled image of a haggis in the episode 'Gregor's Girl'.

Oh, Arnie! Arnold Brown takes yet another bollocking from SNP public relations officer Snippy McGleshin in the episode 'The Angriest Ham In Scotland.'

(From the episode 'Feckless Hatives')... Hitching a lift, SuBo? Watch out for the Joker's minions or something.

A poorly thought-out publicity still featuring town yobbos Speg, Trevor and Briggby. Plus some other atypical Scottish things.

gmoney

QuoteOh, Arnie! Arnold Brown takes yet another bollocking from SNP public relations officer Snippy McGleshin in the episode 'The Angriest Ham In Scotland.'

I can't stop laughing at this and 'Fitba Focus'

Glebe

Thanks gmoney!

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 21, 2010, 11:06:40 PMEvery single name in that made me laugh.

Quote from: Serge on June 22, 2010, 12:14:54 AMThis made me laugh until I cried.

Aw, no way, great! I know these things are self indulgent and hit-and-miss, but they're just such fun to do. I have a few lined up...

Revolting 1980s journo-pig Derek Jameson hit on a unique formula with 1991's short-lived Jameson's Joker's Jukebox (Sky One), a combination of bawdy wit, lowbrow socio-political comment and bland pop tunes. "It's 8.00PM, it's Friday, kick yer 'eels 'ap and enjoy Jaeeemusun's Jokeh's Jookbux!" With the help of walking jokebook Giles Brandreth ("Why did the chicken not cross the road to the fight, because he was chicken!") and mulleted pop supremo Bruno Brookes ("hey, yeah, let's see what's rad-a-happenin', pop-a-boppaz!"), Jameson kept us holding onto our sofa's for dear life! "Wot's this, more argie-bargie? Those flippin' bleedin' 'eart liberuls!" With guests like Nick Griffin, James Whale and Sinitta, there was plenty of ribald chat, but when Jameson got himself too worked up talking about the latest Daily Mail-fuelled outrage ("I'll pull the bloody lever muself!"), it was time to go over to Brandreth in the Chuckle Corner! "Why is cheese religious? Because it's very holy!"

With Mike Read occasionally 'sidding' in for Brooks, things never got boring, and there were exciting video exclusives from the likes of Jive Bunny, Timmy Mallet and Cud. Jameson was a bit old for the pop charts, but he would tap along politely and he even found himself singing along to a rough, extended demo mix of Bolt Thrower's Through The Eye Of Terror at one point ("I know all the words! Pure, unalloyed death-grind!")!

A charmer to the last, Jameson had an eye for the ladies, and Samantha Fox would occasionally pop in – and out! – on the show. "Phwoooarrr, look at that lads! Any requests, Sam? I know I do! Randy cow!" Brookes would be "shidding" himself laughing, and poor old Gilesy would go red as a middle-England beetroot!

JJJ was not without its controversies. Brief feline puppet DJ Kat once swore like a docker on the show, while John Lydon spat at and punched an audience member before doing the splits, much to the annoyance of Brookes, who 'brooked' no "spidding or hidding or splidding. We should be ridding TV of this nonsense. Who am I kidding? I wanna wriddin' letter of apology and a donation to charidy!" Meanwhile, things turned serious on one occasion when Jameson reported live from The Old Bailey, were a black immigrant had been granted politic asylum. "Phoooooohhh! This whole country's goin' dahn the drain!"

Glebe

Though not really comedy as such, and certainly not classic, Esther Rantzen's That's Life! spin-off That's Esther! did have it's share of wild and witty moments. Like the show it was spun off from, it dealt with consumer affairs and serious issues, but with a wry sprinkling of common 'wit' throughout. In fact, it was almost an, er, parody of That's Life!, featuring as it did the exact same kind of material and being co-hosted by a team that sort of resembled the Life! crew, but with poorly Photoshopped heads.

Running from 1974 – 1992, the desperately depressing Sunday night show initially focused on consumer issues, but later began to include uncomfortable tragic true-life stories that made the audience go quiet, save for awkward coughs echoing around the studio. The classic panel consisted of small-minded cheeky git Adrian Parsons ("go on – 'ave a pop!"), serious sagface Kevin Cannonballs and late US comedy writer/director John Hughes as the person I can't remember. Esther would read out complaints people had against the companies whose products or services had inconvenienced, seriously harmed or murdered their family members. The panel would take on the persona of the company, sarcastically reading out the insufficient responses the victim(s) had received.

As Esther would explain, tears welling up, in the end "the boy who inhaled the poisonous broken washing machine fumes sadly, died. Dick?" Whereupon it was over to resident wackiness twat Dick Cock to incongruously display the latest batch of rudely-shaped vegetables sent in by the ordinary, decent people! There was also the talking dog (it could speak three languages, but most amusingly of all had a tendency to say "pork sausies!" ) and occasionally an ill-advised 'comedy song' based on a viewer's consumer complaint – come on lads, get those comedy Mexican outfits on and say 'boobs'! The show would end with a wry selection of satirical cartoons over the credits, and a blowsy, depressing trombone piece. The show was finally cancelled when Cock's replacement Jon Fangshaunue failed to do anything controversial enough to make the show seem modern. Esther has survived to this day, teeth and all, although her co-hosts were not so lucky; all were killed in a tragic consumer disaster in 1992.

Glebe

They say all's fair in love and law, but oh, what larks! Created by real-life barrister Sir John-Reeves Mortimer, Yuz, M'lud! was an outrageous farce which brought both the comedy and legal worlds to it's knees – in fits of hysterics, that is! Running from the early-to-mid 1970s to the late-to-early 80s-90s, the show attracted everyone from barristers to businessmen, and must have had several million viewers over the years. With the likes of Rumbold McLeod ("how dare you, sarh!") and Verity Piggins headlining the cast, the whole thing rumbled along like a farcical play for the full 90 minutes plus stoppage time. With the added addition of Queenie Buzzcocks ("she who must be obliged") to the cast, it was certainly a top quality dramacom.

With celebrity fans like Willie Rushton and Donald Sinden, M'lud was the talk of the town, and the whole of Central London would literally come to a standstill when the show was at the peak of it's popularity – beat that, Emmerdale! The pubs around Westminster would be abuzz with stuffy old cunts the following lunchtime, with everyone from big wigs to baldy cocks discussing plot points, reciting lines verbatim ("I know it's in there somewhere!"... "pull it out, Master Crippins!") and wondering when Fuggit and Nobbice would "tie the old knot!" Shepherd's Pies would be left unattended, and Len Deighton would walk past the buffet with nary a sniff of an autograph hunter! Having finished their brunches, MPs and judges could return to normal service... until next Wednesday night, that is!

'Glazzig' episodes included 'Who'll Be First To The Figgin?', in which Papa Roach gets his briefs in a knot, 'Think Fast, Pumpoe', which was mithering, 'School Run' in which young Master Hodgekinprig serves a sticky wicket, 'Polish Me Knockers', which had them all gasping, and – of course - 'Fuck Me Sideways!' the series ten cliff-hanger that ended mid-sentence!

Glebe

Created by Alan Peaswheel and Phillip Dreadmund, Calm Dawhn, La! ran from 1983 to modern times and was graced with a sparkling of wonderful 'scrouse' wit. Ken Dodd starred as Diddy McTickles, whose job as Alexei Sayle's puppeteer had him on pills for his nerves. Meanwhile, niece Nerys had just moved in with Millie O' Toole – more stress, and norks a lordy! Meanwhile, Captain Yozzer Rohan would get bleedin' fractious if he didn't get his steak and eggs on Wednesdays, so poor wife Paula would end up talking to the wall – it was pina coladas for dinner, pina coladas for tea and pina coladas for suppa!

Local singer Lightening Seed Hopkins was always trying to persuade brother Ringo to donate yet another tank engine cake to the church fete (to the dismay of Fr. Audrey O' Farrell!), while Our Ken could spot a weird one from a mile off – Carla's obsession with her butterfly/weasel sanctuary being a case in point! Stan Broadone was accused of racism when he didn't serve no 'jurmans' in his chip shop, which was probably because 'dey bombed it durin' deh wor!' Elsewhere, Cheegers and Tarbuck kept tabs on things while Lord Renault McGann got the fear when he saw Pete Burn's Camden Carrot! Bez Bishop exuded friendly menace down at The Scally Arms, where Dogder McGough brooded over his nonsense poetry with a pint of Mersey water and barmaid Lilly The Pink kept the orders coming ("two cream teas and a wagon wheel, Paul!").

Breaddy Bovril could usually be found slinking home to make amends after another affair with a tart, and Les Dennis would try and stop by in between visits to Russ Abbot in the madhouse! Psychic beat-rocker Derek Faker would dance like a man possessed down at the Caravan Club, where one might also find Professor Muggles Hart, magician and John Lennon impressionist. Non-pudlians like Tom O' Bootle would occasionally drop down to check on the mother-in-law, and even Mark Lawrenson would stop by of a Christmas!

Classic half hours included 'Stop! Look! Startin'!', 'Calm Dahwn Cilla', 'Me Bleedin' Shellsuit', 'Vengence Of The Scally Get' and 'Whatever Happened To The Liverly Birds?', while memorable dialogues included "dah free kick woz curlier dan iz hair!", "keep calm dawhn and carry on!", and "ho-ho! It's scrumptious, madam!" And that's it, really.

Some of the nation's favourite moments...

Alexei, Bez, Cilla and Parrot prepare for a pop career in the episode 'Mersey Beat On The Brat'. Note John's disgust at Gerry And The Pacemakers.

The Bovril family always make room for guests! Especially when they're as distinguished as Kevin Keegan, Claire Sweeney and Kerry Katona.

Cavern Club bouncer John enjoys an illicit smoke with the local 'la lads', while comedian Neil Fitzmaurice keeps an eye out for cops.

Fit to burst, Lord Knotty Of Ash leads the curly-haired faithful in a chorus of classic Scouse hymn 'You'll Never Scouse Alone'!

Well it's surprise, surprise on a blind date with Cilla and Margi! Who's the lucky fella? She's cheap but filthy – and I don't mean Cilla!

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 20, 2010, 02:37:45 AM

Are you working on the IT Crowd Ant? Or was Benedict Wong in tonight's episode just a coincidence?

An tSaoi

Was he? Ha ha, I just thought the idea of an Asian tech genius would be just the type of clichéd thing Linehan would do. Was he your typical Asian computer nerd in the real show?

Former Countdown winner.

They seemed to be having him play a guru type role from what I remember.

An tSaoi

Thatcher was a bitch! George Bush is a bit stupid! Catholics are different from Protestants! Automated cinema booking lines get the names of the films wrong! Nigerians have Nigerian accents! How brilliant are otters?! If any of these trailblazingly satirical observations made you laugh until a bit of wee came out, then this DVD is for you! Hosted by Alexander Armstrong (best known as the straightman to Ben Miller's straightman in the presumably award-winning Armstong and Miller Show), and featuring such shining stars of the British panel show scene as David Mitchell, Russell Howard, that black woman, David Mitchell, Patrick Kielty, Jack Whitehall, David Mitchell, that Scottish lad (no the other one), the short baldy man with the beard (ah, you know him), and whatshisname that shows up on these things a lot, Whose News Have I Got To Mock For You This Week Anyway? is as funny as a stoat riding a skateboard or a badger with an ASBO! Or a Jew with a cake!

This bladder-botheringly hilarious DVD features all the exclusive, never-before-seen naughty bits that had to be cut from the TV version, ostensibly because they were too controversial but really because they were too shamefully trite to warrant inclusion in the proper show. Bits like the round entitled 'Things the Queen Mother Would Never Say', where the Scottish fella (not the other one, the first one you were thinking of. No wait, not him. The other other one. Aye, that's him) brought the house down with 'I'm a dead cunt'. Could you believe some busy-body goodie-two-shoes crybabies were offended and rang up to complain? Bastards. It was brought up on Points of View and everything. Jeremy Vine went all red when he had to read it out, bless him.

Beware: the political satire is too hot to handle, and the panellists take no prisoners. "John Major? What a twat!", "Enoch Powell? Knob!", "Treaty of Waitangi? Bollocks", and "Ian Paisely says NO a lot!" - just some of the near-the-bone put-downs dished out, four to the dozen. And as for John Prescott... ah no, we won't spoil it. Also included are topical jokes about how the Olympics logo is a bit shit, and how vuvuzelas are annoying. Grrr, vuvuzelas, eh?

Special Features include subtitles (but only for the panellists who aren't posh), and an interactive menu. Ooh, hark at you. It was far from interactive menus you were reared. I tell you, they don't know they're born these days.

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought:

Ah Jaysus! Dara O'Briain Live [DVD] ~ Dara O'Briain
Ehhhhhhhhhh, The Autobiography [Paperback] ~ Dara O'Briain
Andy Parsons: Apparently... Live [DVD] ~ Andy Parsons
I Look Like A Fucking Paedophile [DVD] ~ Frankie Boyle
Russell Howard's Comedy Shed [DVD] ~ Russell Howard

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

5/5 stars Mock Off!, 7 Oct 2009
By tasteless_pleb_91 (Croydon, UK) - See all my reviews

WNHIGTM4UTWA is da best show evar!!!! Russle Howard is a ledge nd that blakc woman they sometims get on it is real funni to. i like da bit were she does a nigerian accent lol! mark from peep show is on it too nd i luv da bit were he shouts BOLLOCKS and says fuck as a punshline!!! jack witehals did joke bout his dads a rascist lol or da bit were paddy the irish guy said Al QUAEIDA? MOR LIKE IKEA!! hahahaha

Report this | Comment

2 of 5 people found the following review helpful:

3/5 stars i think patrick keelty is 16 JAN 2010
By updara1916 (Fermanagh, NI) - See all my reviews

i think patrick keelty is a pretty cool guy eh does jokes about troubles and doesnt afraid of anything. down wid da huns!

Report this | Comment

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

4/5 stars review 2 JUL 2010
By meestalovahlovah (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews

Jack WHitehall?! More like Crack Whitehall. lololol

no but seriuosly this is the best televisin show ever on telly all the panelsts are reallt funny and thye take the piss out off the news and the polticans i no some peple dont lke it but thats just cuz they dont get satire they shud go back to wacthing the chuckle brothes my dad complains abuot the bad language but i tole him tae fuck of ! aslo i wud well do jamelia wen she was n that time if u no at i maen ;))

Report this | Comment

1 of 23 people found the following review helpful:

0/5 stars WNHIGTMFYTWA? 5 AUG 2008
By Billy Smith, Age 6 (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews

I found it quite childish to be honest.

Report this | Comment

0 of 99 people found the following review helpful:

5/5 stars Unadulterated dogshit 27 MAR 2009
By chucklebrothersfan01 (Rotherham, UK) - See all my reviews

This is honestly the shittest thing I have ever seen. It is so bad I litera;;y throw up evertime it come son. Everyone involved should be kicke din the balls, and trmapled to death by elephant and have ther faces eaten by badgers. I'm goin to throw a brick through television centre and kill the hed of the bbc. oh wait i've cliked 5 stars I wanna give it one, fuck the thing wont click rite. how do i undo?

aw shit

Report this | Comment

Subtle Mocking

Beautiful stuff. Love the false comments, and the one comment that makes sense getting demolished.

Glebe

Quote from: An tSaoi on July 06, 2010, 12:07:33 AMHow brilliant are otters?!

Wonderful. Amazon comments = great idea... is Greg Proops intended to be Frankie Boyle?

An tSaoi

Nah, for some reason that photo was in My Pictures, so I thought I'd throw him in for the hell of it. And he has been on both Whose Line... and Mock the Week, which are two thirds of the title. Plus I just don't like him.

Thanks for the nice comments.