Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:05:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Repeats: #2 The 1993 Chris Morris GLR Shows - Saturdays, 10am on CaB Radio

Started by Neil, April 10, 2010, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

This is what started it all!  Only just got in, so no real fore-warning or anything.  17 years ago, to the day, Chris Morris did a 6-week run on GLR, taking over from Chris Evans, who had moved on to Virgin 1215. 

Etc etc.

My favourite Morris ever.

Just about to begin.

Much thanks to Mat Savage, for these tapes. 

Johnny Townmouse

I love this idea. I have a morning of writing work ahead of me, smoothed by hearing this show for the first time in many, many years.

Neil

Well, bit of a balls-up last week, shame I couldn't do a warm-up for an hour, then do more discussion afterwards, but I didn't get home till a quarter to ten.  I'm having big problems with my USB mouse and keyboard this week (and my sleep is obviously ballsed up), but I'll be charging ahead with this at 10am this morning. 

These are just some of my favourite art in the world, do join me if yer about.  It'd be nice to get some skypers if anyone's about, too : (028) 9581 1976 - leave voicemail there at any time, too, and I'll play it on CaB Radio.

There was actually an audience for last weeks show, despite my lack of announcement and stuff...would be interested to hear what people thought of the show.  I mean, when I first heard them, it was one of the intial ideas that sparked off CaB Radio in the first place.  I thought a cool way to appreciate them would be to hear them going out in the actual time slot, and last Saturday, it really did drive home what remarkable radio this was to hear in 1993.  You've got things like The Sock Quiz, and you can hear it developing over the weeks, but then you've also got him playing Captain Beefheart, and getting John Bentley* and Robert Katz in...  Just some of the best radio ever.  I hold them dear.

Stunning shows.  I must once again thank Mat Savage for the tapes of the run, previously there was only an incomplete show by fatblobbybastard on here.  Let's hope more GLR and other Morris radio turns up - I'm using the recent donations to get rewards made up for this stuff, et in touch at waynecarr@gmail.com if you have any knocking about (particuarly the 1990 Radio 1 Show.) 

Neil

Stream is up now, This is an incomplete show, so may be starting sometime after ten.  Will also be replying the first part of "Calls To Franco" for those who missed it last week, as it continues on in this weeks show. 

http://cabradio.servebeer.com:8000/listen.pls

Neil

It's on.  I'll chat for a bit afterwards, at 12...don't forget you can call in, or leave voicemails on (028) 9581 1976 and I'll play them afterwards.  Or just use that number at 12 to get straight through to me.  A few of us are in the chatroom, too, so come on in if you're about.

Have been enjoying this very much, perfect for a Saturday morning. Loved the Franco call. Unfortunately it's not letting me connect to the chatroom what server is it on?

Neil

Number 3 this morning, I'll start around 9, then the Morris show goes on at 10.  As you can see, the chat goes on in the chatroom, so get in there.  Would be great to have some reactions over skype or phone (028) 9581 1976 - you can use that for voicemail when I'm not on CaB Radio.  Or use neilbombd on skype.  I think we'll do Blue Jam repeats pretty soon!  I'm hoping for more on-air interaction for those, maybe get some round table action going? 

Calls To Franco conclude in this one.  Can't wait to hear it again.

Neil

Let's go.  http://cabradio.servebeer.com:8000/listen.pls - drag that into winamp/iTunes, or just let click it and it should work.  Or use the popup up there.

Neil

C'mon in to the chatroom.  Just about to start replaying Calls To Franco from the first two shows, and will play the audio to the Calendar news rushes, too.

Neil

On now, come into the chatroom.  Also going to play a FULL Radio Bristol show, courtesy of Rob Baker, from about 12:30.

weirdbeard

Woo etc.

I must go through the wiki to update some of the links which have expired.  Most of the GLR ones still work, but there are two or three which have now expired, including the 1st May 93 one which you couldnt find at first.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?page=GLR

Neil

Yes, I noticed that, I was gonna try and get round to that myself, I need to get everything gathered and sorted.

God, this is a stunning one.  The GLR baby returns, Michael Beurk parody, Sonia interview on now, really funny phone-ins, Keef singing...

Captain Crunch

Cheers for these Neil, really enjoyed listening to something decent on a Saturday for a change.

Neil

Very glad to hear that Captain Crunch.

Just about managed to get up in time for #5 - ON NOW.

Neil

I will be up for the final show this morning.  The version I reconstructed from two different sources (Mat Savage and fat bob blobby bastards) looks to be 1hr 54 mins, so I'm not sure what else it is I was intending to do to this final version before I uploaded it.  I expect I'll remember tomorrow. 

10am, last one.  What a joy it has been to have these to look forward to every Saturday morning.  Hopefully we'll start the Blue Jam rerun in a week or two, and I hope for some calls after those go out.

Neil

@spikester tells me that this was mentioned on the Trevor Dann podcast - http://www.radioacademypodcast.co.uk/podcast/iframe.phtml/?podcast_id=70
Seems to be the last couple of minutes. 

EDIT:  Very quick mention by Will Jackson - brilliant to hear the 1993 GLR shows being discussed and appreciated!  Hilarious to hear Trevor Dann saying that he'd 'probably enjoy them more now' as he wouldn't be worrying, and thinking 'oh my God, what's he going to say about The Queen?'  (think he said something like 'up yours, grey twat' about her on the last show there, on Saturday.)

Really pleased to hear it being pointed out just how fresh, innovative and challenging these shows still sound.

EDIT: Actually, I'll point out here that I fixed the broken link for the 1st May show earlier, as I know people have been after it.  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VPMONKXZ

I made notes of what's left to do to the restoration of show 6 on Saturday, and will get that sorted.