Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Ghost (new Roman Polanski film)

Started by gepree, April 17, 2010, 04:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gepree

Went to the cinema last night to see The Ghost, the new Roman Polanski film based on the book by Robert Harris.

I found it to be an excellent tense and exciting thriller; certainly another Polanski classic.  This was in sharp contrast to my feelings about the appalling 3 or 4 CGI-laced action films shown in the preceding trailers.

Anyone else seen The Ghost and care to comment?

Santa's Boyfriend

I've read the book, and it's probably the weakest of Harris' books that I've read.   (I still for the life of me can't understand why Fatherland hasn't been made into a proper film.  I know HBO had a go but that film was shit, AND they changed the ending!)

I do however suspect that the film will be better.  I know they've changed a few things, and Polanski is a film-maker you can trust with this kind of material.  Haven't seen it yet, and to be honest will probably wait until it comes out on DVD, but will definitely watch it.

dr beat

I went to see it on Friday and to be honest, I didn't think it was as brilliant as the reviews have indicated.  I guess the main problem I had with it is that I felt it outstayed its welcome and could have been at least 20mins shorter - but then I must admit I'm not familiar with the novel. 

Ewan McGregor was mediocre, but I did enjoy Brosnan in it - it was interesting to see him deliberately ham up because his character is meant to be a ham actor anyway. 

The final shot I did like, overall I'm still not sure about the direction - one of the reviewers on FiveLive praised it for 'ignoring the last fifteen years of film-making' but in a good way.  It certainly had a very 70s feel, which I'm still wondering whether is a good thing or not (I'm inclined to think it generally is though). 

lipsink

Ewan McGregor's accent sounded a bit Michael Caine/Frank Spencer in places. And when McGregor and Williams kept saying "Fuck's sake" under their breath it just seemed rather silly. The
Spoiler alert
sleeping together scene
[close]
was just fucking barmy as if the writer/director/actors/characters and universe had taken leave of their senses. It was also funny when
Spoiler alert
Catrall explained "I'm not saying it, I'm reading it!" (off SKY News).
[close]
Brosnan was great though. Wasn't that the priest from 'The Lakes'?

non capisco

Quote from: lipsink on April 24, 2010, 05:52:47 PM
Ewan McGregor's accent sounded a bit Michael Caine/Frank Spencer in places.

Ha, definitely. "Oooh, ex-Prime Minisder! I'm 'avin' a liddle bid of bodder wriding dis book!"

I enjoyed this despite McGregor's latest dodgy accent. Why do they continue to cast him in roles where he's not playing a Scot, or not just make his character Scottish? It's not like he hasn't got previous form for being hopeless at accents.