Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cemetary Junction

Started by dr beat, April 18, 2010, 11:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Just been to see this tonight - can't say I was hugely bowled over.  Worked as a slightly mindless Sunday night kind of film, but I expected
Spoiler alert
The Office meets Skins in the Seventies
[close]
and it was exactly that.  Indeed, a lot of the lines were pretty much telegraphed from the Office. 

Anyone else seen it?

chocky909

Someone finally started a thread! I was hoping everyone'd completely ignore it just to see if we could but I actually am a little bit interested to see how it is.

I watched Ghost Town recently and found it dull and Gervais' performance awkward. I'd heard largely good things about it too. I dread to think how bad The Invention Of Lying is because the reports for that aren't nearly as positive.

Is Gervais' role one of the main roles in this?

dr beat

Is Gervais' role one of the main roles in this?

More of a supporting role but still prominent. Problem is he isn't convincing as the embittered father figure. 

George Oscar Bluth II

I saw this. Didn't pay to see it though, you'll be relieved to know.

It's alright, completely agree with the three star reviews it seems to have been given. Would be more at home split over two parts on BBC1 on a bank holiday weekend than seen in a cinema on the big screen. Gervais is by far the worst thing about it, CaB will be happy to hear. It's not that his character doesn't have good lines or anything, it's that Gervais can't deliver them without sounding like David Brent.

gloria

I used to live near Cemetery Junction in Reading.  Who wants to touch me?

Tiny Poster

So did I. Used to score in Mandela Court.

wherearethespoons

I cannot possibly comment on this film until somebody uploads a torrent.

gloria

Quote from: Tiny Poster on April 19, 2010, 07:17:51 PM
So did I. Used to score in Mandela Court.

Haha, me too. I had a flat near the Jolly Angler pub opposite the gasometer.

Artemis

I used to urinate next to the power station if the outside toilet shut before I could get the Pilsner out of me.

(Am I getting this right?)

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Artemis on April 20, 2010, 02:29:43 PM
I used to urinate next to the power station if the outside toilet shut before I could get the Pilsner out of me.

(Am I getting this right?)

Nah, it's more like this.

I once got off at Reading Station and grabbed a taxi out to the BBC Archives, then once I'd completed business there, got a bus back to the station, and got the fuck out of there.

The Duck Man

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on April 19, 2010, 01:05:51 AM
Gervais is by far the worst thing about it, CaB will be happy to hear. It's not that his character doesn't have good lines or anything, it's that Gervais can't deliver them without sounding like David Brent.
It's interesting how Gervais and Simon Pegg - Britain's two biggest comedy exports of the last few years - are really rather limited actors. Pegg seems happy to play type over and over again and it does it reasonably well, but rarely challenges himself. Gervais has Brent, and I'd argue is pretty terrible in everything else I've seen him in.

Jemble Fred

Well Pegg's roles have been quite similar (except for Hot Fuzz, of course), but that says more about his choices than his talent. He'll have to pull something unusual out of the bag for Burke & Hare, certainly.

kittens

I actually quite enjoyed this.

j_u_d_a_s

Just seen it earlier on.

Hugely uninspired to be honest. The setting of 1973 wasn't convincing and was pretty irrelevant, you could have really set this at any time or any place. There were odd moments when it slipped into a Gervais routine that just didn't seem believable for the time and Gervais himself was pretty shoddy as the dad. Another jarring thing I noticed was how much it felt like UK-style dialogue smoothed out for the US market.

Despite it being totally predictable and unconvincing though, I did enjoy it. But I felt as if I'd seen it all before.