Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Rising 2 [split topic]

Started by VegaLA, April 20, 2010, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 07, 2010, 07:07:23 PM
My copy arrived today and I installed it when I got home from work at 5:30pm. I've spent all my time since then trying to get the damn thing to actually work at all, it just freezes on the starting logos. I've Googled and it seems like a common problem for people. How did this actually get past QC? There are some solutions posted around online but none have worked for me, so until a patch is released I just have to wait to join in the crazy zombie fun.

PC version?

AsparagusTrevor

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 07, 2010, 07:30:28 PM
Aye.

Go to control panel, select "Hardware and Sound", select "Sound", select "manage audio devices", right click on the speakers and select "properties" then the "advanced" tab, then change your Default Format to 16-bit, 48000hz DVD quality.

That fixed the startup crash for me.

Edit: Though you said you've tried solutions, so hopefully this isn't just repetition.

AsparagusTrevor

Thanks, I did try that one but it didn't work for me first time round. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it (a second time) and now it does seem to work, albeit quite jerky in some parts and seems to freeze up sometimes. Can't get the control pad working either, a universal problem by the sounds of it, and the fix I've read online doesn't seem to work for me. Funny, it says on the back of the box it's compatible with the XBOX 360 pad for Windows, yet nobody can get it to work without a third party fix. False advertising, surely?

Between this and constant save-game corruptions on Resident Evil 5 I'm losing faith in Capcom's PC ports.

EDIT: Got the controller working now. Might actually get chance to play at some point.

EDIT 2: Haha, nope. It just crashed now. Fuck it, no game's worth this stress!

Fry

Man, this game is a blast! Just a blasty blast blast!  Although, despite its consummate blastiness, there are a few things that annoy me. The first being just a boring' ol gripe at the loading times, when you're stuck against a psychopath having to go through 9 minutes of travelling and loading between quick and unfair deaths gets very old very fast. I understand why the save system is how it is, and I appreciate it too, but with so much loading it makes retrying a tricky part just excruciating.

And them psychopaths themselves, while they make a pleasant change from mowing down the reams of zombies and can be genuinely fun, too often I have died due only to the shoddy camera angles, unresponsive controls or or the bosses themselves being unbalanced, and a lot of the time when I do win It's just down to me have lots of food in the inventory/the enemy glitching/ just pure luck. Why do they all have to zip around like a little kid on crack in some kind of crack infused sweet shop?

Call me old fashioned, but I should be able to outrun a big fat gimp with a chainsaw, no  matter how horny he is. Some more decent dodge moves and combos (attacking combos, not necessarily DIY weapons) would be handy.

But, all in all, WIKKED!

AsparagusTrevor

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 07, 2010, 08:17:44 PM
Thanks, I did try that one but it didn't work for me first time round. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it (a second time) and now it does seem to work, albeit quite jerky in some parts and seems to freeze up sometimes. Can't get the control pad working either, a universal problem by the sounds of it, and the fix I've read online doesn't seem to work for me. Funny, it says on the back of the box it's compatible with the XBOX 360 pad for Windows, yet nobody can get it to work without a third party fix. False advertising, surely?

Weird.  My Win360 pad worked right out the gate.  Bloody computers.

thugler

No probs using 360 pad or with startup here, works a charm without anyjerkiness.

AsparagusTrevor

Seems to just be wireless ones that don't work by the sounds of things.

A patch has been released but it didn't fix anything for me. I did manage to eventually get the game to run after uninstalling/reinstalling a forth time and installing the patch straight away before playing, everythiong seems to be working smooth and without crashes (bastard long load times though) but the new problem is the blood effects are really messed up, it comes out as black squares, as though the alpha channel isn't working. That's one problem I can't find anything about online.

AsparagusTrevor

Woo-hoo! I updated my graphics card drivers to the beta ones, I usually wait for the official release, but that's fixed the blood problem and, touch wood, the crashes seem to have gone away. I've managed to play for over an hour and I'm loving it so far!

EDIT: Spoke too soon, went for ages and then it crashed as I was looking for survivors outside.

EDIT 2: Played for a few hours, but playing the same bits over and over due to crashes. I've had it with this piece of bug filled shit now, it's getting sent back tomorrow. It sucks because I really like what I've played of it, just the crashes are inexcusable. Fair enough if it was something to do with my system, but I have a high-spec PC with 30+ games installed that work fine, and if you Google 'Dead Rising 2 crashes' and it's a ridiculously common and a plethora of different problems. I quit! Back to L4D2 I go for my zombie genocide.

VegaLA

Spiteface

One of them things that makes me wonder why they didn't do that in the first place.

Then again I suppose it gives them an excuse to release a "new" version of the game.

I am loving the idea of Sandbox mode though.

Consignia

Does the game need a separate sand box mode? You've always got plenty of time to piss around in normal play, since you can just ignore the storyline stuff, and play until the time limit hits.

Famous Mortimer

I would love the option of being able to properly clear an area of zombies, so you could, much like that bit of GTA: San Andreas, have them as "your" territory. Maybe do it slowly, and build proper barricades, or quickly, or something. I don't know.

VegaLA

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 12, 2011, 01:31:52 PM
I would love the option of being able to properly clear an area of zombies, so you could, much like that bit of GTA: San Andreas, have them as "your" territory. Maybe do it slowly, and build proper barricades, or quickly, or something. I don't know.

I'm in for some of that, Dawn of the dead style-ee, unfortunatly I bet the fuckers re-spawn after you have fortified the mall.
Good idea though, I like your thinking.

Spiteface

Anyone been playing "Off the Record"? Few of my thoughts:

The twins are still a pain to beat. I've not bothered doing my usual level grinding here, so I'm not levelled up all the way like I was doing DR2 last time.

More looters in this one, which is annoying when they steal your weapons and shit.

I don't like how there are psychopaths just loose in sandbox mode, most notably (BIG SPOILER)
Spoiler alert
Chuck Greene's appearance replacing Leon from DR2 as the psychopath with the slicecycle. You can still kill him and get access to his trailer to mod bikes in story mode though.
[close]

I like how certain things play out differently, like the role of Brandon (the member of C.U.R.E. gone mental) is a bit more fleshed out here, and you actually HAVE TO fight him now, as it's part of one of the case missions in the game.

The game reminds me a bit of "Resident Evil: Director's Cut" in it's approach, in that certain items are in different locations, some events take place elsewhere etc.

Consignia

Quote from: Spiteface on October 16, 2011, 10:51:35 PM
I don't like how there are psychopaths just loose in sandbox mode

Sounds a bit like the Survial mode in the original, except without the normal people around to kill you.

Spiteface

Oh, they're knocking about as well...

So I actually beat the twins this time. I keep going, things play out in a similar but slightly different manner to DR2. Then the trauma all comes flooding back.
Spoiler alert
FUCK THE GAS ZOMBIES.  They're back too (same scenario as in regular DR2: After the 3-day mark the military rescue operation goes tits up when some green gas comes up through the grates, making some of the Zombies stronger n'shit.
[close]
Looks like I'm back to grinding like last time.  Need to be able to carry more weapons and food if I'm gonna get through this with my sanity intact. And I'm seemingly relying on the Pawnshops for Zombrex this time too. Used to be able to kill a psychopath or do a rescue mission and got some as a reward, but these missions don't come up at those times anymore, it seems.