Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Ditto Music (or other "Amateur" Publishers)

Started by Beagle 2, April 28, 2010, 01:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Hello. My hobby, as is the case with quite a few people on here, is making a bit of music. I've been writing some tunes over the past couple of months, and now I've got an album's worth of stuff recorded. I had planned to do what I normally do and just send it out to friends and family, and stick it on Youtube. But then I got to thinking, what if I could actually get it on Spotify or something? That would be jolly.

These fellas, Ditto, seem to claim that you can upload your stuff to them for 30p per track per store, with a £15 a year charge for storage.

Has anybody used them? Are there hidden charges? Could I really have my amateur fare clogging up iTunes within 24 hours as they claim? The only other charge I can see is the £55 you have to pay to get an official chart entry, and I think it's highly unlikely I'll be requring that. The wikipedia entry is nowt but a sales pitch, so I'm a little sceptical...

We set up a label with the Ditto guys and released some music on to Spotify. It was £2 per month at that point, although i think it actually works out cheaper now.
We originally uploaded to just Spotify and i used to 30p option a couple of weeks back to upgrade on to Sky Songs, will possibly also upgrade on to  mflow depending on how it reacts to Spotifys new features.
Im not a massive fan of iTunes. I know it has a large share of the market but i prefer using streaming sites and then selling direct from my website.

On the whole, really pleased. Accounting has always been regular and efficient. Would recommend them.

Beagle 2

Thanks Octo - you certainly sound genuine enough, but the signing up today thing is kind of indicitive of why I posted on trusty old CaB, seems to be a lot of spin going on between the rival services, like on this blog post:

http://forresttwilliams.com/index.php/2009/11/10/online-distribution-tunecore-vs-ditto-music-vs-reverbnation-vs-watunes/

That post below massively slagging off Ditto I've now seen cut and pasted onto a couple of sites in my hasty googling research and seems to be a sabotage attempt by a rival. I just want somebody I trust to say "Yeah - it works" really! It's a pure vanity thing anyway, I'm only really doing it so I can say woo look I'm on the spotifys!

Yea, there does seem to be a few companies offering the services at the mo. I did quite a lot of research as well.

If you are looking at Spotify i would definitely recommend checking out mflow. From press reports its going to be the new Spotify.
I was one of the first unsigned artists to get on to Spotify and the if you can get on these things early enough you have more chance of exposure.
With Spotify , i would say its definitely one of the first places people look for your music once they hear of you. It used to be myspace but my how times have changed!

Ditto are good guys. And they have just released a single for one of my all time hero's Rik Mayall which is actually surprisingly good!