Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

South Africa: World Cup 2010

Started by social rhinoceros, April 30, 2010, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Colossal

ha!
Argentine TV viewers were horrified when a commentator liquefied a live octopus on TV in revenge for Germany's soothsayer Paul calling the right results in the World Cup.

Host Roberto Pettinato said: "Your moment has arrived, little Nazi octopus."

chand

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 13, 2010, 03:46:10 PMI want to see young fearless players who are untainted by hype and money blood themselves on the international stage, with a mix of proven quality that actually have performed for England (A. Cole, Rooney, Crouch, Ferdinand). I also think Milner showed a bit of craft and Schweinsteigeryness by actually carrying the ball into areas and committing defenders, as well as seemingly being able to cross. He also seems to be developing year on year at club level. So there's one possible squad player.

Milner was in the squad. He's hardly "untainted by hype and money" though, he's rumoured to be on £45k a week and is being linked with £20m+ moves. You're not gonna get players untainted by hype and money without changing the entire structure of English football. Anyone who looks remotely good is moving early for big money these days. Ashley Young had half a decent PL season for Watford and got bought for £9.6m at the age of 21. Walcott was bought for £9m off the back of 21 Southampton appearances at the age of 17, that's the way the game is, and the new "homegrown" player rules aren't exactly gonna keep a lid on the value of young English talent.

Ironically, while you're suggesting blooding young players for England because they're fearless, Milner's inclusion represents the exact opposite of that approach. He had the slowest development of any player in human history, spending 5 years in the U21 side, for which he holds the record for number of appearances at 46. He played 8 seasons in the Premier League before he got a call-up to the full squad.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I wasn't touting him as being one of these young players though, just making a seperate appraisal that I think he might be useful for England.

Milner's improvement is actually visible on the pitch, and has been playing football from a very young age and is still in the first half of his career. So he can improve at this rate all he likes, as long as he keeps getting better.

Mr Colossal

Its still hard to see milner as anything other than a squad player.  I think hes dependable and can do a job wherever you put him.  I guess he still is only 24, so if he continues improving at that steady rate he will be a good player.  But whether he'll ever be exceptional at anything I dont know...  I think he'll  be exacty the same time of player as Gareth Barry. A good hard working captain for a uefa cup position team.  Hard not to see Adam Johnson making that right wing spot his own on the evidence ive seen as he already looks to have more maturity and better decision making skills than the likes of walcott and lennon.

chand

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 14, 2010, 09:07:37 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/13/germany-footballers-gay-michael-becker

Bizarre.

Would love to see the reaction of some of the less forward-thinking England fans to finding out we got hammered by a bunch of queers.

rudi

I can't help feeling a gay player would get a far better reception from general fans than he would from the football "community"...

Danger Man

Quote from: chand on July 14, 2010, 09:47:31 PM
Would love to see the reaction of some of the less forward-thinking England fans to finding out we got hammered by a bunch of queers.

I'm still trying to work out how getting beaten by a bunch of queers leads to a move up the FIFA rankings.

Paaaaul

"They do like it up them"

[apologies, on three different levels]

chand

Quote from: Danger Man on July 14, 2010, 10:38:26 PM
I'm still trying to work out how getting beaten by a bunch of queers leads to a move up the FIFA rankings.

We went up the FIFA rankings because it's done over the last 4 years, so the likes of Italy, France and Portugal fall down the rankings because their World Cup 2006 performances no longer count for anything. Our World Cup 2010 qualifying was really good for our rankings, 9 wins out of 10 including two batterings of a decently-ranked Croatia side, wheras Portugal in the same campaign beat no-one of any note, winning only 5, and their performance in the actual tournament was no better than ours really.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 14, 2010, 09:07:37 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/13/germany-footballers-gay-michael-becker

Bizarre.

"Experts estimate that around 10 per cent of all Bundesliga professionals are gay".   What a ludicrous sentence.  Good old The Guardian.

rudi

That was great wasn't it? "Experts". Heh heh heh.

Mr Colossal

I tried to find a picture of the manager and his assistants colour-coordinated sailor suits but found:

its endemic!