Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

South Africa: World Cup 2010

Started by social rhinoceros, April 30, 2010, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

I love American soccer commentary.

Riise freekick, funny American commentary

So many great terms like "P.K.", "Headball" and "Upper Ninety".

phes

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 31, 2010, 11:28:59 PM
It's kind of a shame Joe Cole stayed at Chelsea for so long when plenty of other top teams could have done with him. I don't agree that he hasn't improved. IMO he's a bit more sensible nowadays when he does get a game.

But who knows...

Absolutely. He a was a nerve-wracking liability in an England shirt for a while but he's matured a lot to be a more clever and efficient player - he was our best player by a mile in the last WC. Versatile and unpredictable and as you said he's confident and wants the ball at his feet - exactly what we need in a team that relies too heavily on thrusting athletes like Gerrard and one dimensional ones like Walcott, Lennon and SWP to carve out chances. The guy could run the show for us given the freedom to because he has the confidence and ability to hold the ball, control the tempo and make the right decisions. Like Arteta, except he can't even get into the Spanish team.

Geraint

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 31, 2010, 11:55:41 PM
I love American soccer commentary.

Riise freekick, funny American commentary

So many great terms like "P.K.", "Headball" and "Upper Ninety".

my own favourite has been ESPN's consistent, stubborn attempts to push 'attacking third entries' as a credible statistic.

also, here's political statiscian Nate Silver with the single worst football feature ever - dribbling a load of words about each WC group that prove how completely and utterly stupid it is to even try and use statistics in football for anything other than ultra-specific situations with masses of contextual information: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/page/worldcup101-04282010/ce/us/group-c-analysis?cc=5739&ver=global

QuoteWhen the United States dramatically drew into England's group, it looked as though Group C might be the proverbial "group of death."

Quotethe Serbian roster certainly looks like the sort that should be one of Europe's best, as it boasts 16 players who play in one of the Big Four club leagues.

QuoteThey arguably do not have a superstar, especially among the forwards, but their discipline...

that last quote is about HOLLAND. So Robben and Sneijder aren't superstars and they'll be relying on their famous internal discipline (!)

Jim Jarmusch

Fuck me, who made this piece of shite. Take a look at previous World Cup posters, logos and mascots.

http://artatm.com/2010/03/evolution-of-graphic-design-in-fifa-world-cup/

Depressed Beyond Tables

"They arguably do not have a superstar, especially among the forwards..."

Yeah if you're arguing with a moron like this:

(excuse the quality)

American Soccer Commentary

Regardless of how shit that American commentary was, my over-riding impression of that clip was 'Ian Wright is a fucking cunt'.

Completely unprofessional to bitch about your peers in any country.

Depressed Beyond Tables

England squad:

Keepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole,Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Strikers: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Maybe Heskey is the only surprise for me. He does have "experience" tho.

Edit: Actually SWP too. I don't rate him.

Barberism

I think it's a solid squad. But what is the team going to be?

I'm confident of our chances against any team in the tournament. Even a side like Spain that outclasses us. I hope Capello has them whipped into enough shape that we don't make any sloppy defensive errors. When we were thrashing teams we got away with it but we can't afford to do it in a world cup.

Wow! With statements this obvious I should be a pundit for the BBC.

Vitalstatistix

SWP instead of Walcott is the only surprise for me. Neither seem to be playing all that well. Hopefully we'll see Lennon, J. Cole and Milner delivering the attacking goods; if not we're fucked.

Lee Van Cleef

How did Carrick make it?  Must be some good drugs Capello is doing these days.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Vs USA I'd guess:

Keeper: Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole,Rio Ferdinand, John Terry.

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon.

Strikers: Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney.

I do think Glen Johnson is a bit of a liability at the back.

jimmy jazz

Aaron Lennon as a first choice right winger? Carragher and Johnson fighting over right back? Jesus, this is going to be depressing.

I expect it to be:

Green

Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard Joe Cole

Heskey Rooney

the midnight watch baboon

Wright-Phillips in is a surprise to me, but he has a half-decent scoring record for England. We really could have done with a left-footed attacker though.

Vitalstatistix

First game I predict:

Green

Johnson Terry Rio A. Cole

Lampard Carrick

Lennon Gerrard J. Cole

Rooney

chand

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on June 01, 2010, 04:54:56 PM
How did Carrick make it?  Must be some good drugs Capello is doing these days.

Because it pretty much came down to Carrick v Huddlestone for that role, and Huddlestone hasn't really taken his chance in an England shirt yet.

chand

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on June 01, 2010, 04:25:43 PMMaybe Heskey is the only surprise for me. He does have "experience" tho.

Heskey's hardly a suprise, he played regularly in qualifying and has been picked by the last three managers on a fairly consistent basis. It would have been a major surprise if he'd suddenly been ditched for Darren Bent or someone.

buntyman

Not an awful team but I'd have preferred Dawson to Upson and I think Walcott would've been a better choice than SWP as SWP's just a worse Lennon. Very reliant on goals from a questionably fit Rooney which could be the main problem.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: chand on June 01, 2010, 06:00:14 PM
Heskey's hardly a suprise, he played regularly in qualifying and has been picked by the last three managers on a fairly consistent basis. It would have been a major surprise if he'd suddenly been ditched for Darren Bent or someone.

Plenty of mistakes have been made by previous managers. That doesn't excuse them. I figured his sad attempt at scoring a header against Japan from 1 yard would have ruled him out. Hence the surprise.

JPA

Quote from: jimmy jazz on June 01, 2010, 05:28:43 PM
Aaron Lennon as a first choice right winger?

Is that so bad? He's had a fantastic season.

I'm surprised about the Walcott omission, he provides an extra striking option. I think we all knew Heskey would make it.

Would have perhaps gone for Dawson over Upson, I suppose international experience went in his favour.

thepuffpastryhangman

QuoteStrikers: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

It's a struggle to imagine, should by some bizarre circumstance all three of them be on the pitch at the same time (probably equal to the threat Rooney poses on his own), them successfully completing three passes to each other. I appreciate they're not there to pass to each other, but it'd be nice if they inspired enough confidence to force the belief they could do if necessary.

I think Milner is going to start Left Midfield, allowing Ashley Cole to bomb on. Lennon will start on the right. Joe Cole will be the impact sub, with SWP coming on for Lennon when he runs out of gas. I've come to this conclusion under the assumption that Lampard and Gerrard start together against the States. As for Carrick, god only knows why he has been picked.

Mr Colossal

Well even though its hard to consider- if England find themelves a goal up against some quality opposition and need to hold onto a slender lead,  I think Carrick (along with barry, whos been injured) is probably the best suited of all the midfielders for that scenario.

Depressed Beyond Tables

It fair to say that Carrick is out of form at the minute but at his best he's a very good player and the type England are short of.

The Plaque Goblin

How badly did Leighton Baines do in them two matches? Stephen Warnock has only played once in an England shirt for 8 minutes two years ago.

I can't believe Adam Johnson isn't going, he seems really good.

Mr Colossal

Plus ashley young. I know he didnt have as a good a season for villa this year,  but he's still been playing in that problem left wing role for the last two seasons at the highest standard.   They seem to have been eclipsed by a milner love-in in recent months. I know hes quite a tidy little player but what did he do that was so amazing? I read something about teams interested in buying him and his valuation being 'about 45 million' a few weeks back!?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on June 01, 2010, 10:50:29 PM
How badly did Leighton Baines do in them two matches? Stephen Warnock has only played once in an England shirt for 8 minutes two years ago.

I can't believe Adam Johnson isn't going, he seems really good.

Warnock can also play as a defensive midfielder - I don't think Baines can.  Still it's strange that Warnock hadn't been given a run out.

As for Milner/Ashley Young - Milner has rightfully eclipsed Ashley - but not as a winger, as a central midfielder.  He's a decent understudy for Lampard/Gerrard - not quite as good (yet) but is an improvement over Gareth Barry in the Villa midfield.

Ashley Young should have been worth a place though - he can play left and right wing, and behind a main striker.  He's at least as good as Lennon,  and better than Wright-Phillips, Walcott and Adam Johnson.  He's also not bad in front of goal.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 01, 2010, 08:11:35 AM
Regardless of how shit that American commentary was, my over-riding impression of that clip was 'Ian Wright is a fucking cunt'.

Completely unprofessional to bitch about your peers in any country.

My thoughts too. "Oh my god he used the word hustle!". I'm sure there's plenty of British commentary expressions which could be open to as much ridicule anyway.

The Plaque Goblin

Tokyo Sexwhale ♥'s Ashley Young.

Tokyo Sexwhale

no I don't and well you..you love ASHLEY COLE!

PWNED!!!!!

Geraint

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 01, 2010, 11:21:41 PM
My thoughts too. "Oh my god he used the word hustle!". I'm sure there's plenty of British commentary expressions which could be open to as much ridicule anyway.

"Ian Wright is a fucking cunt" is pretty much a given before seeing that clip. British commentary is generally better than the US in that it actually relates in some way to the sport of football, but ITV and Sky tank their own quality through seemingly having xenophobia and a need to produce 'soundbites' with which to sell HD boxes respectively as part of their commentary style guides. And on the half-time/post-match punditry front the UK is the worst in the world - paying dozens of succesful ex-players with 20 year careers in football six figure salaries to read cliches off an autocue and go over manufactured 'talking points' at the behest of producers (compare and contrast Souness' punditry for Sky with his stuff on Irish tv where he's not totally on rails). With exceptions like Jamie Redknapp, where you genuinely wonder how he's managed to dress himself in the morning, let alone get a punditry job, these people must surely have all sorts of interesting opinions with the context of their years in the game, but instead it's match after match of 'Steven Gerrard: he's quite good at playing football' and reacting to horror fouls with 'that's not on'.