Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nightmare on Elm Street Remake

Started by The Boston Crab, May 02, 2010, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

I have a bad feeling about the remake, although I'm sure it's look classy as it's directed by Samuel 'Smells Like Teen Spirit video' Bayer.

Speaking of Chainsaw 2... I thought it was a bit crap, really. Some good moments, a couple of funny bits and plenty o' gore, but kinda aimless. I love the Stuart Copeland track 'Strange Things Happen' used on the end credits. "He he he, dog will hunt!"

lipsink

I saw this today and it was rubbish. Just really flat with no sense of pace and a bunch of bland pretty teenagers going through the motions. The extra loud jump button being pushed every ten seconds. I thought this would've had at least something good about it but it was pretty much without merit. More forgettable than even The Omen remake.

Feralkid

Quote from: lipsink on May 09, 2010, 09:51:29 PM
I thought this would've had at least something good about it but it was pretty much without merit. More forgettable than even The Omen remake.

Whoah, that bad?  The Omen remake set the bar very low. 

madhair60

Remake is dogshit.  Don't waste your money.

bill hicks

Have to agree with the above sentiments. Jump scares every three seconds, a poor script, average performances. A real waste of time.

It does look quite nice I thought though. Well it looks exactly like the Smells Like Teen Spirit video which is obviously why Beyer was hired and I liked the theme music, a nice menacing updating of the original nursery rhyme themes from the old series.

Also they needlessly change the backstory for Krueger which makes it all a bit nonsensical.

Spoiler alert
As far as I could tell he was just a nonce farming kids in his weird little grotto and not a killer. But this then begs the question as to why he had the glove if he isn't slashing toddlers to fuck. If you go to the trouble to make a beasting glove then you'd at least slice one of the uglier kiddies up by the Rec or something surely? Also why did a group of people decide to needlessly chase the fella to a disused industrial estate and torch him rather than just...phone the rozzers? Evil Guard from Shawshank says something about "not having kids in court" but that seems a little weak as motivation for the PTA to suddenly turn into arsonists. The original explained it well I thought with him being released on a technicality and no chance of justice forcing them into a revenge killing. By taking that out they just apparently all went mental.
[close]

phes

Also the soundtrack was dogshit compared the original. I was still holding out hope right up until it went all fucking Scooby-doo with Quentin nobody and the emo. By no means the worst film I'll see this year but still unsurprisingly dull.

non capisco

That's not Freddy Krueger, it's Gary Oldman from 'Hannibal' in a hat!

This is indeed a right load of toilet. There's none of the interesting bits from the original where Wes Craven  successfully managed to emulate the qualities of a real nightmare, like when Freddy suddenly appears with bizarrely elongated arms. Instead they chose to make the blandest retelling possible, with any hint of surrealism smothered by obvious jump tactics and unimaginative gore. There's still a lot you could do with the concept of a demonic figure who kills you in your sleep so I don't know how they managed to make that concept seem boring. Jackie Earle Hayley's 'scary' Freddy voice also bothered me, he sounds like Droopy with a chest cold at times.

I should really start telling myself - just because I have a pay-monthly unlimited cinema card doesn't mean I have to go and see EVERYTHING. I had a half day and wasted it on this when I should have just gone and seen Four Lions again.