Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Už Jsme Doma

Started by alan nagsworth, May 02, 2010, 05:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Ohhh maaaaan! What a bloody great band these guys are. They come from Prague, and their sound is like European ska/punk with dabblings of avant-garde sounds similar to John Zorn, Boredoms and Mr. Bungle. The energy bursting through the music is absolutely phenomenal: They follow constantly heavy touring schedules and their music is so raucous and tight... and when it's not, it's physically bursting at the seams, just waiting to push out and explode. AMAZING DRUMS.

QuoteThe band has, to date, released six proper studio albums, two live albums, a best-of package and a DVD containing live footage and a documentary about the history of the band, which discusses its artistic significance and chronicles its dozens of lineup changes in its long career. In addition to traditional band functions such as recording albums and touring, Už Jsme Doma have taken on a wide array of ambitious projects outside of simple music performance, including work with theater, film and art. The band's name translates literally to, "we're home now" but idiomatically means "well, there you go" in Czech conversation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U%C5%BE_Jsme_Doma#Musical_analysis

Here's them performing at their 20th Anniversary tour in 2005:

Uz Jsme Doma - Napul

And here's another from 1999 (though the handclaps on the live performance looks cool with them taking it in turns, it sounds a million times better on record. The production is almost entirely superb on the stuff I've heard):

už jsme doma live 1999 2/2

Aaand here are some tracks for your pleasure:

In The Middle Of Words (9:01)

Fear (3:19)

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, I've been into this band for quite a few years ago now and have got all their albums, each one crammed full of intricate twists and turns that always make me grin from ear to ear. Brilliant stuff all round. The double live album in particular is a corker and occupies a [rized position in my record collection!

If you're into Uz Jsme Doma, you might be interested in the really quite phenomenal Italian band Splatterpink whom I love just as much. It's similar in its punky yet very intricate sound...

Splatterpink Spettro+MDMA Live Tv 1998

Splatterpink - Linfa Grezza

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 02, 2010, 06:09:17 PM
Yes, I've been into this band for quite a few years ago now and have got all their albums, each one crammed full of intricate twists and turns that always make me grin from ear to ear. Brilliant stuff all round. The double live album in particular is a corker and occupies a [rized position in my record collection!

Ha I knew it'd probably be you replying Nev! :) They are a corking band aren't they! I might have to keep an eye out for that live album, I don't own any of their physical records but I intend to get on it as they're fast climbing the ranks in my books! I had a copy of their 'best of' album 'Fifteen Drops Of The Water' about three or four years ago and when it got deleted by some freak force of nature I spent quite a while finding it again. Only just sourced it out on the internet so looks like I need to get purchasing!

Thanks for the tip on Splatterpink, too, they sound great!

djtrees

Ah I played with these in France a couple of years ago. Spectacularly dull gentlemen they where. Musically I couldn't get past their dullness. It might have been their foreignisity that made them appear dull, but I doubt it.

Neville Chamberlain

Are you sure you're not confusing "being dull" with "being all mysterious and East European"?!?!???