Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

In 1972 a crack commando unit...

Started by Repentia, May 03, 2010, 02:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repentia

A-Team Intro High Quality

Right, yeah? We all know this one, the voice-over précis is pretty much etched into our brain, and the montage opening is arguably the best ever opening for a tv show, ever.

I used to have a friend with a US video player who imported the VHS of what we believed at the time to be the complete series, and many hours were wasted watching the adventures of this lot, and very entertaining it was too.

I was fiddling about on YouTube just now, when this happened:

The A-Team, 5th season full intro

What?! Wow! This has to be real. The footage of the trial and escape was never in the original series to be cut up for a fan film of a new opening, the music is suitably reimagined as 80's synthpop, and so on.

So... series five of the A-Team? Has anyone seen this series? Did it get cut short by Peppard's death? Thing is, I'm sure we'd have heard of a new series if it occured late 80's/early 90's, but this seems to have slipped in under our highly tuned trash cultural radar.

And, yes, there is going to be a film out this year. How they'll pull it off in 2010 without the original cast is anyone's guess i.e. they probably won't, but here's hoping anyway.

Sivead

Could be a false memory, but I'm sure I vaguely remember it being aired over here, wasn't it? I recall them being put up before a firing squad and wheeled out in body bags, but somehow they had faked there deaths, or was that the end of series 4?

Anyway, I still have all the action figers, complete with shit eating grins and AK-47s

Slaaaaabs

Season Five was after they got caught and given a fake trial and a deal that involved them doing a set amount of missions for the US government to clear their names. They had help from a new character named Frankie "Dishpan" Santana. It was a bit shite.

Repentia

Well that settles the question of fan editting on YouTube. And I'm very jealous of people who have the original action figures, although I do have a box of original Star Wars tat, sans guns of course, they always disappeared to go live with the missing socks.

Has anyone in the UK seen this series for sure? It's sounds pretty good, but maybe it never got broadcast over here? The original opening credits series were shown at least twice in the 80's over here, at least once during the apparent US run of series five. Maybe we never got round to importing it? And I'm almost certain that series four ended with them being exonerated for the unspecified crime of the credits...

TV scheduling changed a lot around that time, granted. Shows like this that might have gone out in primetime were shunted to Saturday afternoon kids tv, that sort of thing. I don't know why, it's not like we made anything as fun as this, or Manimal, or Blue Thunder or whatever.

Holy shit! The trailer for the movie...

The A-Team Debut Movie Trailer [HD]

Alright, so it's a CGI wankfest - did we expect anything else - but the casting isn't too awful, on the back of this one, single youtube clip... Liam whathisname could be quite good as Hannibal. Not too sure about the new BA though, that's going to be the decider. The surviving members of the original cast had better get cameos, too.

Rowlands

Dirk Benedict has a cameo. I met him the other day.

Repentia

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 03, 2010, 03:00:16 PM
They had help from a new character named Frankie "Dishpan" Santana. It was a bit shite.

Whoa, was there a girl sidekick as well? I know the original series occasionally had a recurring girl character, but I getting vague flashbacks to these new characters setting them missions in a sort of Knightrider set-up. Or maybe I'm getting confused with Knightrider? I guess I should see if I can acquire the series to check.

Repentia

Quote from: Rowlands on May 03, 2010, 03:10:35 PM
Dirk Benedict has a cameo. I met him the other day.

You did not meet Dirk Benedict, you fibber. Go on then, how did that happen?

bennett

Quote from: Repentia on May 03, 2010, 03:13:25 PM
I know the original series occasionally had a recurring girl character...

Amy Amanda Allen (Triple A), as played by Melinda Culea.

hmm - this should maybe go in that first crush thread.

Anyway - she was apparently fired because of issues with George Peppard.  Apparently she wanted to get in on the fights and George didn't want a girl in the team (rumours that Melinda repeatedly turned down his drunken advances abound).  It's still not clear whether she quit over her objectons or was fired though.

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 03, 2010, 03:00:16 PM
Season Five was after they got caught and given a fake trial and a deal that involved them doing a set amount of missions for the US government to clear their names. They had help from a new character named Frankie "Dishpan" Santana. It was a bit shite.

Didn't Santana get included because of the sudden late 80's American interest in Martial Arts? He was supposed to introduce a little 'edge' into the team, but ended up as the equivalent of Poochie getting added to the Itchy and Scratchy Show, i.e. totally uncool.

Season Five = Worst Season Ever

kidsick5000

One of the few entertaining things Boy George has done is talk about his time on The A-Team, revealing that they are brilliant actors because for all the grins and cameraderie onscreen they utterly hated each other.

The premise for season 5 looks fun on paper. Well, it's basically Mission Impossible isn't it. Being sent off to bring down terrorist cells that have incredibly well-stocked utility sheds.
Has Robert Vaughn ever played a character who isn't in a three-piece suit?

The film looks like crap. Everyone looks like fairly accurate cosplay convention goers. Worst is Bradley Cooper. Where Dirk Benedict was charming and handsome and could convince his way into any home, Bradley Cooper looks like some gym-gigalo sleaze merchant who's more likely to slip you Rohypnol rather than charm.
Benedict would effortlessly entice a couple of socialites from an exclusive beach club in Miami.
Cooper would struggle to cop off with some on slat-tat Shazza heifer on a friday night pub crawl in Preston.

Doctor Stamen

Frankie Santana has to have been the inspiration for Poochie in the Simpsons, that's just about all he was good for.

Feralkid

I saw some season 5 eps recently on Bravo - so it's certainly been aired in the UK.  And I definitely saw that season when I was a kid, though it might have been running on Irish TV.   The only good thing to come out of Season 5 was the presence of Robert Vaughan, who added a nicely sleazy edge to proceedings.  And unless I halluncinated it there's an episode where Vaughan is teamed with a former colleague, played by David McCallum.   

Desi Rascal

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/04/30/orange-launches-new-creative-direction-for-iconic-gold-spot-cinema-advertising-in-uk-first/

Saw the new Orange cinema trailer the other day, for my money it captures the spirit of the A-team (guys jerking about with guns planes and jeeps) better than the more po-faced "official" trailer.

Sivead

Jemble Fred

The A Team was one of those shows that was only ever good when you and your friends played it in the playground – cast the roles, get the catchphrases in, pretend to shoot each other in slow motion. A thousand times more fun than actually watching it.

Except maybe the Boy George episode.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Sivead on May 17, 2010, 01:10:33 PM
Loving the new theme tune for the movie!

That gave me a good laugh. Who did that? It's wonderously poor.

news jiffy

Series 5 was definitely shown in the UK on ITV around the mid/late 80s. Even though I was probably only six or seven at the time I still recognised it was utter shit. Mainly because the fantastic GMC van wasn't in it and the bastardised theme tune, but also because it didn't have the humour of the previous series and most episodes seemed to be set in a prison cell.

I may be right in thinking that Murdock wasn't banged up with the other three and was still at large – I certainly remember a BA dream sequence where the crazy foool busts Hannibal and Face out of clink in a chopper but refuses to hoist out BA for all the years of calling him a crazy foool.

Still, the van's in the film so all is not lost.

papalaz4444244

I think I may have been the only kid on Earth that hated the A-Team.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Robert VaughnI'd known George for many years. Ratings were kind of flagging so they thought they'd bring me in to help bolster them. I don't think it helped because the fifth was the last season. The strangest thing about The A-Team was Mr T. He was, as far as I'm concerned, a bona fide, credentialled psychotic. He had no benevolence. He drove a fire engine-red Rolls-Royce Corniche convertible. He'd start talking when he got into makeup at 7 o'clock in the morning and he'd still be talking at 7 o'clock at night when he got back into his Corniche. And nobody paid any attention to him at all. He was a very, very strange man.

From here.

Gulftastic

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on May 17, 2010, 11:27:28 PM
I think I may have been the only kid on Earth that hated the A-Team.

I liked it back then, but I hate it now it's become the perfect example of Justin Lee Collins-esque lazy nostalgia bullshit. Anyone caught saying that the new movie is a disgrace to the 'brilliant orignal' should be shot out of a cannon.

Rowlands

Quote from: Repentia on May 03, 2010, 03:23:21 PM
You did not meet Dirk Benedict, you fibber. Go on then, how did that happen?

He was in a touring stage production of Columbo a few weeks ago and I waited for him at the stage door.

Ahem, *bump*. Saw the orange trailer for this in the cinema the other day which was rather good.