Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Portal is free. And available on Mac

Started by Koant, May 13, 2010, 06:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koant

Until May 24th only. Get it here: http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
I look forward to trying, even if it means spending 2 hours re-installing b. steam.

NoSleep

Slaaaaabs

Doesn't work with my Kempston joystick either.

ThickAndCreamy

Download it, it's a fantastic game on a fantastic service.

Steam is truly the exact model of how a legal download service should work. Efficient, easy to use, with constant free offers and sales and containing a variety of fantastic extras such as chat and community features. I can't praise it, or Steam's games enough.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It doesn't accept Maestro though which doesn't make sense, as I would imagine a lot of gamers don't have credit cards.

chand

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on May 13, 2010, 06:47:37 PMSteam is truly the exact model of how a legal download service should work. Efficient, easy to use, with constant free offers and sales and containing a variety of fantastic extras such as chat and community features. I can't praise it, or Steam's games enough.

Fucking annoying when you buy something from a shop and it forces you to use Steam. Particularly the other day when I bought Metro 2033 on disc, and upon installing it, Steam decided to download it, and wouldn't fucking let me stop it. 7.5gb and 8 cunting hours later I finally got to play the game I'd bought on disc.

mikeyg27

Grrr. Having installed Steam and Portal, I've been finding the frame rate to be disappointing. It's not a problem on the levels so far, but it's definitely noticeable and from what I remember of watching people play it before it could definitely be a hinderance later on.

Koant

I've played a couple of hours last night. What a great game! And funny to boot! Good thing it's installed on the windows partition or my productivity would take a nose dive. (and I've realised that CS:source was still working, which is not helping).
Level 18 so far, it's getting rather difficult.

TIAL

I'd love to have a go on this, but not sure if my PC is up to it or not.

It's a Pentium 4 - 2.8 Ghz and 0.98 GB of RAM.

Anyone else tried it on a similar system? Would be useful to know before I download all 5 gigabytes of it.

AsparagusTrevor

It'll probably run if you bump the graphics down, the Source engine is quite undemanding.

Geraint

Quote from: TIAL on May 15, 2010, 12:01:45 PM
I'd love to have a go on this, but not sure if my PC is up to it or not.

It's a Pentium 4 - 2.8 Ghz and 0.98 GB of RAM.

Anyone else tried it on a similar system? Would be useful to know before I download all 5 gigabytes of it.

I played through it on a worse computer than that - got flawless frame rate at i'd guess low-medium options? the Source engine games really put most PC developers to shame with how well they scale down to older computers.

Catalogue Trousers

Doesn't run on mine either. Doesn't even link to Steam. Okay, my PC is pretty bog-standard, but that's still no excuse...Grrrrrr.

mook

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 16, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
Doesn't run on mine either. Doesn't even link to Steam. Okay, my PC is pretty bog-standard, but that's still no excuse...Grrrrrr.

Well, I think you can consider that a lucky escape really - After getting through the first levels fairly quickly - I've got to chamber 15 and have ground to a halt, I swear if a mis-time again and fall off those platforms once more I'm going to have a coniption fit. Anyway, thanks for the link koant, thanks a fucking million. ;)

dredd

Just finished the bastard. Tricky until you get the hang of the momentum-shifting jumps.

mcbpete

If you're finished Portal, then get the unofficial free prequel to it Portal Prelude - http://www.portalprelude.com/

And believe me, it's hard. Fookin' hard (I nearly gave up a couple of times). But great too !
(though just checking the updated version of their site, it looks like it doesn't work for the free Portal version, or a Mac - so erm..... not really a good place to post it then !)

Koant

Still stuck at 18. I'll try and spend some time on it this weekend.
(though just checking the updated version of their site, it looks like it doesn't work for the free Portal version, or a Mac - so erm..... not really a good place to post it then !)
B.! They said Portal was free, period, no string attached.

dredd

Quote from: mcbpete on May 24, 2010, 10:07:39 PM
If you're finished Portal, then get the unofficial free prequel to it Portal Prelude - http://www.portalprelude.com/

And believe me, it's hard. Fookin' hard (I nearly gave up a couple of times). But great too !

I've got portal prelude working with the free version using the following advice:
http://www.portalprelude.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4848

However, after a quick jaunt, think I'm ready to quit after chapter 2 - they've gone the "let's make the puzzles a complete pain in the arse" route, rather than keeping it fun.
Spoiler alert
You have to start doing crouch jumps to finish the puzzles, which happens to be a FUCKING ABOMINATION and a CRIME AGAINST GAMING and has made me VERY UPSET
[close]