Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,403
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The WTF Podcast With Marc Maron

Started by TIAL, May 17, 2010, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Poster

There used to be a fantastic interview with "Leon" up on the AV Club, but for some reason it's disappeared. Shame, as it made me burst into laughter repeatedly. And it was only text!

Famous Mortimer

My sole knowledge of JB Smoove is from "Til Death", and he was in the show when it was at its absolute worst (and he was terrible in it too). Oh, he was good in "Bent". I'll shut up.

kitsofan34

Cracking interview, for anyone who is usually deterred by Maron's rather self indulgent interview style, this episode is the one for you. Maron gets barely any time to talk about himself, bowled over by the sheer magnitude of JB's personality and charisma.

kitsofan34

This might get a bit complex but Maron's basically changed the download system. You used to pay a one off fee for a month's subscription, then download all the episodes and listen to them even after your one month subscription is over. He's now put a lock on shit loads of episodes, I'd say about 60% of the episodes can't be listened to unless you're in the midst of the month subscription.

I think it's a bit shitty really, there's 300 episodes and it's pretty obvious no one can listen to all the episodes in a month. Ah well, to the torrents I go.

futilitarian

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 06, 2012, 06:17:38 PM
I think it's a bit shitty really, there's 300 episodes and it's pretty obvious no one can listen to all the episodes in a month. Ah well, to the torrents I go.

I don't understand. is it streaming only? can't you download all of them and listen when you want to?

kitsofan34

Quote from: futilitarian on September 06, 2012, 08:41:33 PM
I don't understand. is it streaming only? can't you download all of them and listen when you want to?

If you didn't understand beforehand (my fault probably), you're unlikely to understand after this convoluted response from me. O.K so basically you subscribe for a month and that gives you access to every show. To listen to the shows offline [nb]i.e without internet connection[/nb] you have to move the episode to a "starring" section. This used to mean that even after your subscription had ended for the month, you could still listen to those "starring" section with very few exceptions. Now Maron's changed it up and he's basically made most of the episodes into ones that are only accessible if you're subscribed for a month, even if you've moved the episodes into the "starring" section.

Yep, that's really not helped, has it?

futilitarian

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 06, 2012, 08:46:23 PM
If you didn't understand beforehand (my fault probably), you're unlikely to understand after this convoluted response from me. O.K so basically you subscribe for a month and that gives you access to every show. To listen to the shows offline [nb]i.e without internet connection[/nb] you have to move the episode to a "starring" section. This used to mean that even after your subscription had ended for the month, you could still listen to those "starring" section with very few exceptions. Now Maron's changed it up and he's basically made most of the episodes into ones that are only accessible if you're subscribed for a month, even if you've moved the episodes into the "starring" section.

Yep, that's really not helped, has it?

yea, hasn't helped me at all.
is this on iTunes or something? (I've never used it)

I use a browser add-on program that keeps up with RSS feeds (links to the latest podcast eps), and I download them...because I have more hard drive space than I could ever fill...and then I listen to what I want when I want (some podcasts I've downloaded years ago and not yet listened to--some podcasts are only available for a limited time, so I just horde them in case I ever want them, since they're insignificant in size and bandwidth).
I was aware that the earliest ~100 Maron eps were no longer available for free download, but, the way I do things, I'd just download every ep currently available, keep up to date downloading all new eps, and if I subscribed for a month I'd download all the ones I couldn't get previously, and listen to whatever I want when it suits me. The only reason not to do this would be if bandwidth was very limited (like on cellphones or really cheap broadband connections in some countries).
All of which is to say, I don't follow this issue of 'stars' and concerns about no longer being able to access old episodes after being given 30 days to ?download?* as many of them as you like.
*I would be amazed if anyone would pay for merely streaming access...to almost anything! I still don't really appreciate the American fondness for 'streaming netflix', as I prefer to download a movie, so that I know there are no worries about buffering or interrupted connection issues.

easytarget

Quote from: futilitarian on September 07, 2012, 09:52:28 AM
I was aware that the earliest ~100 Maron eps were no longer available for free download
No - but you can buy them on DVD from A Special Thing http://astrecords.bigcartel.com/product/wtf-with-marc-maron-the-first-100-episodes. There are some good interviews in there.

futilitarian

Quote from: easytarget on September 08, 2012, 12:34:14 AM
No - but you can buy them on DVD from A Special Thing http://astrecords.bigcartel.com/product/wtf-with-marc-maron-the-first-100-episodes. There are some good interviews in there.

trying to charge me for something that was once free just rubs me the wrong way. (I can appreciate that there are bandwidth costs for libsyn, but if they take issue with anyone torrenting the first 200 or so that are no longer available, I'd find that a bit dickish).

easytarget

Well, there's a "support the show" aspect to it and it's not like Maron does loads of dates in the UK.
Also the shows come in a cool box in case you care about that anymore (though if you're like me, all your CDs and DVDs have formed a massive dead albatross around your neck).

Still, supporting things like this > torrenting things like this.

easytarget

Dylan Moran on Thursday.

Chances of "Bridish comic StUart Lee" being mentioned ~ 85%

Paaaaul

Quote from: easytarget on December 10, 2012, 07:28:21 PM
Dylan Moran on Thursday.

Chances of "Bridish comic StUart Lee" being mentioned ~ 85%

Spoiler alert
***Fruit Machine Pays Out***
[close]

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Tiny Poster on July 11, 2012, 10:39:57 AM
There used to be a fantastic interview with "Leon" up on the AV Club, but for some reason it's disappeared. Shame, as it made me burst into laughter repeatedly. And it was only text!

Do you mean this? http://www.avclub.com/articles/curb-your-enthusiasms-jb-smoove,41435/

nedthemumbler

Sorry for the massive bump, but anyone else still listening? 

I do because of the calibre of his guests but I am completely sick of his intro monologues, and how much he went on about moving house and the specialness of that garage.

Still a big fan of him, ie when he had Charlie Musselwhite on recently, just sick of his moping..

checkoutgirl

Quote from: nedthemumbler on May 07, 2018, 08:17:06 PM
I do because of the calibre of his guests but I am completely sick of his intro monologues, and how much he went on about moving house and the specialness of that garage.

I agree. I torrent 50 at a time and first I go through them cherry picking the most interesting looking ones. Then I listen to the rest. The ads are tiresome and his opening monologues are tedious, going on for 20 minutes sometimes. I skip them as best I can on my phone and on youtube there's nearly always a blue timestamp in the comments, click it and you're straight to the interview. But Maron gives good interview, there's no denying that.

A great one I listened to recently was Henry Winkler but 75% of the time he seems to have very obscure American-centric industry people. I mean the star of How I Met Your Mother? Who cares?

Rolf Lundgren

Listen to the ones I think I'll like and always skip the intro.

The thing that really astounds is his work-rate. How does he manage to release 3 a week for 9 years? Along with write stand-up, do his TV show, do his washing, have a social life etc.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 08, 2018, 06:28:39 PMThe thing that really astounds is his work-rate. How does he manage to release 3 a week for 9 years? Along with write stand-up, do his TV show, do his washing, have a social life etc.

Two a week. And it's just him having a chat, in his garage. Someone else does the editing, uploading and admin. It's like half a day's work.

I like Maron, and whilst I'm not tuning in for the intro (nor for any guest I'm not already interested in), I don't mind listening through the openings. There's something nice in seeing him having become much mellower over the years. Following the Shandling doc, I listened to that one the other day – it's really interesting, and is like an alternate reality version of the Gervais show (he even sits with a silence, which seems to impress Shandling).

Enrico Palazzo

Find his stand-up pretty unbearable but it's a great podcast.

Rolf Lundgren

I listened to the Jason Alexander one today in one sitting and really enjoyed it. Alexander has the tendency to go up his own arse sometimes but Maron kept him on track and breezed through it. Maron is great at keeping himself out of the interview and is really generous in conversation without being insincere.

Sin Agog

I ended up enjoying it by the end when he and Helen Mirren were talking about Jon Voight and Mamet's Trumpification (also was glad he brought up Herostratus at one point, even if she sounds mortified by it now), but Marc really does become particularly dense whenever he's talking to a Brit.  After she said that she went to a teachers training college, he replies: 'Oh yeah? What's that?'

I guess I'll give him a pass as one's mind is inclined to wander when you're going through grief, but come on...[Gallagher].

EDIT:  His one with Seinfeld from a few weeks ago was unique.  He kinda exploited his own grieving in a bid to get Seinfeld to come clean and be a human, and it didn't really work but the tension and utterly different needs they extract from comedy made for an interesting, bristly conversation.

magval

Has Seinfeld been on any other good podcasts? Only times I remember him being interviewed were by Norm and Alec Baldwin.

Armin Meiwes

Yeah I was quite impressed with the Seinfeld one because, not that he was rude to him or anything, but he did really hammer him a bit on that and it must be a bit of a touchy subject for Seinfeld because it's definitely the thing he gets criticised for the most.

Just listened to the Jim Carrey one which was quite enjoyable if a little odd.

Armin Meiwes

Oh yeah meant to say as well Mamet was easily the worst guest I ever listened to on his show, just complete and utter prick, not even just because of his politics but his personality as all although I guess it's quite hard to separate the two things. Found it interesting that Maron didn't call him out at all on any of it.. is it the job of an interviewer to? Not sure really.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 15, 2020, 12:14:35 AM
He kinda exploited his own grieving in a bid to get Seinfeld to come clean and be a human, and it didn't really work but the tension and utterly different needs they extract from comedy made for an interesting, bristly conversation.

I don't think it's fair on Maron to say he exploited his grief. Wasn't it Jerry who reached out to him, knowing of his recent loss, and volunteered to do the interview?

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on July 19, 2020, 12:17:24 PM
Oh yeah meant to say as well Mamet was easily the worst guest I ever listened to on his show, just complete and utter prick, not even just because of his politics but his personality as all although I guess it's quite hard to separate the two things. Found it interesting that Maron didn't call him out at all on any of it.. is it the job of an interviewer to? Not sure really.

This has intrigued me, so I'm listening to the Mamet episode now. Maron says in the preamble that he was ill on the day of the interview and was sweating throughout, so perhaps his lack of calling out was due to ill health? Dunno. Maybe. I'll listen to the whole thing.

Sin Agog

Exploited might be a bit of an OTT word, but it may have made him a bit more daring than he otherwise would have been, and Seinfeld more indulgent.

Anyway, now he's landed Seinfeld I think Albert Brooks is the last of Maron's great white whales.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 19, 2020, 01:15:58 PM

Anyway, now he's landed Seinfeld I think Albert Brooks is the last of Maron's great white whales.

That would certainly be an interesting one.

I guess he'd never get (or even want) Woody Allen as a guest, would he?

I listened to the Mamet episode. Yeah, a bit of bore and seemingly deliberately contradictory in places. I managed to make it all the way through which isn't something I've managed for every episode of WTF.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 21, 2020, 08:12:50 PM
I guess he'd never get (or even want) Woody Allen as a guest, would he?

I would imagine that Allen has always been near the top of his wish-list, but yeah, these days he's not really someone you'd want to have on your podcast. Imagine the uproar that would cause, Maron could do without it. Also, I can't imagine Allen being up for appearing on a podcast in which he would inevitably, and quite rightly, be quizzed about the child abuse allegations. In any case, the daft old cunt probably doesn't even know what a podcast is.

I think I'm right in saying that the aforementioned Albert Brooks, plus Steve Martin and Larry David, are the only other living American comedy legends Maron hasn't interviewed yet.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've just had a look at the complete list of episodes so far, and other notable omissions are...

Carol Burnett
Chevy Chase
Whoopi Goldberg
Rick Moranis
Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Mort Sahl
Martin Short